Strange networking problem with windows xp - Network

This is a discussion on Strange networking problem with windows xp - Network ; Ok, I have a very wierd problem with networking on a computer with windows xp. First, I have a home network with a linksys befw11s4v4 I have one computer connected by ethernet (XP), 4 by wireless (3 xp, 1 98). ...

  1. Strange networking problem with windows xp

    Ok, I have a very wierd problem with networking on a computer with
    windows xp. First, I have a home network with a linksys befw11s4v4 I
    have one computer connected by ethernet (XP), 4 by wireless (3 xp, 1
    98). I had firmware verson 1.45.3 installed on the router and
    everything was working fine.
    I upgraded to 1.5 and one of the xp computers connected by wireless
    could no longer connect to the network. I saw it had an automaticly
    assigned ip (169...) So i clicked repair... the folling problems
    occured: renewing the ip. Then I checked that the other computers on
    the wireless were working, they were all fine. So then I thought the
    wireless usb device is probably dead (it has wusb11 v2.5), so i ran an
    ethernet cord across the house to the computer... same problem.

    Starting to get wierd... I found a spare wmp11 and installed it, same
    problem. I reflashed the router to 1.45.3, didnt fix it. So, I guessed
    that the tcp/ip stack was probably currupted, so i ran netsh int ip
    reset, didnt fix it. Ran a virus check, none found. Thats where I am
    now, the only option left I see is to reinstall windows. I hope I'm
    missing something simple. Anyone have any suggestions before I
    reinstall the os?

    Miles

  2. Re: Strange networking problem with windows xp

    MSCNLN wrote:
    > Ok, I have a very wierd problem with networking on a computer with
    > windows xp. First, I have a home network with a linksys befw11s4v4 I
    > have one computer connected by ethernet (XP), 4 by wireless (3 xp, 1
    > 98). I had firmware verson 1.45.3 installed on the router and
    > everything was working fine.
    > I upgraded to 1.5 and one of the xp computers connected by wireless
    > could no longer connect to the network. I saw it had an automaticly
    > assigned ip (169...) So i clicked repair... the folling problems
    > occured: renewing the ip. Then I checked that the other computers on
    > the wireless were working, they were all fine. So then I thought the
    > wireless usb device is probably dead (it has wusb11 v2.5), so i ran an
    > ethernet cord across the house to the computer... same problem.
    >
    > Starting to get wierd... I found a spare wmp11 and installed it, same
    > problem. I reflashed the router to 1.45.3, didnt fix it. So, I guessed
    > that the tcp/ip stack was probably currupted, so i ran netsh int ip
    > reset, didnt fix it. Ran a virus check, none found. Thats where I am
    > now, the only option left I see is to reinstall windows. I hope I'm
    > missing something simple. Anyone have any suggestions before I
    > reinstall the os?
    >
    > Miles

    Try assigning a static IP?

  3. Re: Strange networking problem with windows xp

    Problem fixed, Spybot S&D is my savior

+ Reply to Thread