AOL - Network

This is a discussion on AOL - Network ; Hi connected to AOL broadband put in a hub and router so the kids can go online at the same time been told by AOL that i cannot use the router as they use dynamic IP address does anyone no ...

  1. AOL

    Hi
    connected to AOL broadband put in a hub and router so the kids can go
    online at the same time been told by AOL that i cannot use the router
    as they use dynamic IP address does anyone no a way round it apart
    from changing ISP provider

    Many Thanks

  2. Re: AOL

    On 1 Jan 2004 16:30:09 -0800, msparkymarky@aol.com (Mark Harrison)
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >connected to AOL broadband put in a hub and router so the kids can go
    >online at the same time been told by AOL that i cannot use the router
    >as they use dynamic IP address does anyone no a way round it apart
    >from changing ISP provider
    >
    >Many Thanks

    Someone else may know how, but, I would change ISP. AOL have said that
    they do not intent to allow connection sharing at any time.
    I do not like being told what I can and cannot do when I am paying for
    a service.

    Taff...........

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: AOL

    "Mark Harrison" wrote in message
    news:13167354.0401011630.38a9bd9a@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi
    > connected to AOL broadband put in a hub and router so the kids can go
    > online at the same time been told by AOL that i cannot use the router
    > as they use dynamic IP address does anyone no a way round it apart
    > from changing ISP provider

    Hi Mark,

    That's actually not true.

    I'm assuming you have your router and hub set up as everyone being together.
    In other words, all the computers are hooked up to the router. What
    happens then is one computer signs onto AOL and the others, which are on the
    same level (perhaps a bad choice of words, but remember that everyone is
    hooked up to the router) can't, because AOL assigns each a seperate address.

    So what you have to do is set it up that all of the computers connect to the
    internet through one computer, and then that computer connects to AOL.

    Basically:

    Internet(AOL) ------->Computer 1 ("Gateway") -------> every other computer

    Your 'gateway' computer will need to have two network cards, one which
    connects to AOL (or the modem that they give you, I beleive it's DSL) and
    the other goes out to a switch. Your computer acts as the router (using
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in Windows XP, or something similar) and
    you connect your switch (turn DHCP off on the router and connect the second
    NIC to a regular jack, not the WAN jack on the router) and then set up ICS
    and as long as the main computer is signed onto AOL, all the other computers
    should be able to get to the internet as well.

    Sorry if I rambled a bit, I'm tired right now and in middle of finals. If
    you need further clarification, let me know.

    --Adam

+ Reply to Thread