One sided pinging!? - Network

This is a discussion on One sided pinging!? - Network ; Hi all, Ive got 2 pcs one is my tower and one is a laptop, ive got wireless pci card for the tower and pcmcia wireless card for the laptop, my problem is that i can only sucessfully ping one ...

  1. One sided pinging!?

    Hi all,

    Ive got 2 pcs one is my tower and one is a laptop, ive got wireless
    pci card for the tower and pcmcia wireless card for the laptop, my
    problem is that i can only sucessfully ping one way and not the other,
    ie i ping 192.168.0.11 from my tower to the laptop and it replies as
    expected but pinging the other way produces request times out, ive got
    the ssid the same and both computers have the connection as very good
    to excellent, ive also got them both set up as ad-hoc as i dont have a
    wap. they are both running at 11mps. I just cant figure out why it
    will ping one way but not the other, the other funny thing is that the
    tower pc seems to see the packets comming in as it counts them but the
    laptop still says that request timed out. Any advice would be most
    appriciated.

  2. Re: One sided pinging!?

    dalescriven@hotmail.com (dale scriven CCSE) wrote in message news:<7484f19.0312290701.2552a9d3@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Ive got 2 pcs one is my tower and one is a laptop, ive got wireless
    > pci card for the tower and pcmcia wireless card for the laptop, my
    > problem is that i can only sucessfully ping one way and not the other,
    > ie i ping 192.168.0.11 from my tower to the laptop and it replies as
    > expected but pinging the other way produces request times out, ive got
    > the ssid the same and both computers have the connection as very good
    > to excellent, ive also got them both set up as ad-hoc as i dont have a
    > wap. they are both running at 11mps. I just cant figure out why it
    > will ping one way but not the other, the other funny thing is that the
    > tower pc seems to see the packets comming in as it counts them but the
    > laptop still says that request timed out. Any advice would be most
    > appriciated.

    The tower pc must be XP oprating system
    then you need to turn of the internal firewall,
    right clik on Netork places and selct property.
    selct the Local are connection . take a properties byright clicking it.
    go to advace tab in the that and dselect the firewall.

    it should solve the problem
    ..
    cheers

  3. Re: One sided pinging!?

    naveensarathi@indiatimes.com (Naveen) wrote in message news:<6197a3f5.0401020108.6c5b5799@posting.google.com>...
    > dalescriven@hotmail.com (dale scriven CCSE) wrote in message news:<7484f19.0312290701.2552a9d3@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Ive got 2 pcs one is my tower and one is a laptop, ive got wireless
    > > pci card for the tower and pcmcia wireless card for the laptop, my
    > > problem is that i can only sucessfully ping one way and not the other,
    > > ie i ping 192.168.0.11 from my tower to the laptop and it replies as
    > > expected but pinging the other way produces request times out, ive got
    > > the ssid the same and both computers have the connection as very good
    > > to excellent, ive also got them both set up as ad-hoc as i dont have a
    > > wap. they are both running at 11mps. I just cant figure out why it
    > > will ping one way but not the other, the other funny thing is that the
    > > tower pc seems to see the packets comming in as it counts them but the
    > > laptop still says that request timed out. Any advice would be most
    > > appriciated.

    > The tower pc must be XP oprating system
    > then you need to turn of the internal firewall,
    > right clik on Netork places and selct property.
    > selct the Local are connection . take a properties byright clicking it.
    > go to advace tab in the that and dselect the firewall.
    >
    > it should solve the problem
    > .
    > cheers

    If you have Cisco VPN client installed it also has a firewall option
    that if enabled will block echo's when doing pings.

  4. Re: One sided pinging!?

    Thank you for the suggestion, yes my main pc is running xp but the
    microsoft firewall is not enabled on either my network card or my
    broadband connection.
    I really cant figure out why it will only ping one way.

    Dale Scriven

  5. Re: One sided pinging!?

    dalescriven@hotmail.com (dale scriven CCSE) wrote in message news:<7484f19.0401021156.7e6d84e3@posting.google.com>...
    > Thank you for the suggestion, yes my main pc is running xp but the
    > microsoft firewall is not enabled on either my network card or my
    > broadband connection.
    > I really cant figure out why it will only ping one way.
    >
    > Dale Scriven

    Then you can do one more thing

    Just turn both pc's nic card speed to 10mbps half duplex and check it out.
    it should solve your problem

+ Reply to Thread