Wireless Router range - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless Router range - Network ; Anyone know the best method for setting up a wireless router to achieve the best possible range? In fact, I'm not that picky, i just want the bloomin' thing to reach downstairs! I have a Netgear DG834G 802.11g Wireless DSL ...

  1. Wireless Router range

    Anyone know the best method for setting up a wireless router to
    achieve the best possible range? In fact, I'm not that picky, i just
    want the bloomin' thing to reach downstairs!

    I have a Netgear DG834G 802.11g Wireless DSL Firewall router that just
    doesn't want to give me a signal on my laptop. It is setup in my
    bedroom which is upstairs, but won't reach downstairs.

    Can anyone please give me some pointers to get the most out of this
    thing. It's not as if i live in a castle or anything, so according to
    the router it should reach.

    If anyone has a solution that will get me a signal downstairs then I
    would appreciate that tremendously.

    Kirk

  2. Re: Wireless Router range

    krkb@hotmail.com (Kirk) wrote in message news:<8506dbd5.0312290114.21ab84f5@posting.google.com>...
    > Anyone know the best method for setting up a wireless router to
    > achieve the best possible range? In fact, I'm not that picky, i just
    > want the bloomin' thing to reach downstairs!
    >
    > I have a Netgear DG834G 802.11g Wireless DSL Firewall router that just
    > doesn't want to give me a signal on my laptop. It is setup in my
    > bedroom which is upstairs, but won't reach downstairs.
    >
    > Can anyone please give me some pointers to get the most out of this
    > thing. It's not as if i live in a castle or anything, so according to
    > the router it should reach.
    >
    > If anyone has a solution that will get me a signal downstairs then I
    > would appreciate that tremendously.
    >
    > Kirk

    Hope full this router should work for that much distance .
    What i suggest you is , just reset the router once ,if it not helping
    you just do Hard reboot and confiure it from scratch .if still problem
    is not solved then . ugrgade the firmware. and re-configure it .if
    still problem presist buy new routers like Belkin who has life time
    warranty on it

  3. Re: Wireless Router range

    > Hope full this router should work for that much distance .
    > What i suggest you is , just reset the router once ,if it not helping
    > you just do Hard reboot and confiure it from scratch .if still problem
    > is not solved then . ugrgade the firmware. and re-configure it .if
    > still problem presist buy new routers like Belkin who has life time
    > warranty on it

    Thanks for the suggestions Naveen, but the router is brand new and has
    the latest firmware. I've reset it and reconfigured it but to no
    avail. I'm not really prepared to buy another router as this one has
    cost over 120.

    I'm aware that there are guidlines for where to place the router, but
    I'm unclear of what they are. Does anyone out there have a clue?

    Can anyone else suggest something?

  4. Re: Wireless Router range

    krkb@hotmail.com (Kirk) wrote in message news:<8506dbd5.0401050438.37b90c28@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hope full this router should work for that much distance .
    > > What i suggest you is , just reset the router once ,if it not helping
    > > you just do Hard reboot and confiure it from scratch .if still problem
    > > is not solved then . ugrgade the firmware. and re-configure it .if
    > > still problem presist buy new routers like Belkin who has life time
    > > warranty on it

    > Thanks for the suggestions Naveen, but the router is brand new and has
    > the latest firmware. I've reset it and reconfigured it but to no
    > avail. I'm not really prepared to buy another router as this one has
    > cost over 120.
    >
    > I'm aware that there are guidlines for where to place the router, but
    > I'm unclear of what they are. Does anyone out there have a clue?
    >
    > Can anyone else suggest something?

    RF is very finicky. Different routers will give different distances.
    Encryption will reduce the distance. The only real thing you can do
    is get the router closer. You could add in an Access Point but you
    would need to hardwire the access point to the router. They just came
    out with wireless repeaters so that is another solution. Here are
    some pointers from dlink but they apply to all wireless devices:

    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...ral%20Wireless

+ Reply to Thread