Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro - Network

This is a discussion on Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro - Network ; Can anyone help me with a network problem I have networking between Win98 and WinXPpro. This set-up was working fine but has suddenly developed problems. The Win98 computer (ZAPHOD) can browse the network (see the other computers in the Network), ...

  1. Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    Can anyone help me with a network problem I have networking between Win98
    and WinXPpro.

    This set-up was working fine but has suddenly developed problems.

    The Win98 computer (ZAPHOD) can browse the network (see the other computers
    in the Network), can ping the other computers but is suddenly unable to log
    into the WinXP system (TRILLIAN).

    An attempt to browse TRILLIAN from ZAPHOD results in a login dialogue box to
    connect to \\TRILLIAN\IPC with message "you must supply a password to make
    this connection". Entering the correct password is rejected with error:
    Password Incorrect, try again.

    TRILLIAN's Security Logs contain something like the following in pairs.

    1.

    Category: Account Logon

    Type: Failure Audit EventID: 680

    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

    Computer: TRILLIAN

    Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

    Logon account: MATTHEW

    Source Workstation: \\ZAPHOD

    Error Code: 0xC000006A

    2.

    Category: Logon/Logoff

    Type: Failure Audit EventID: 529

    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

    Computer: TRILLIAN

    Logon Failure:

    Reason: Unknown user name or bad password

    User Name: MATTHEW

    Domain: INMARSAT

    Logon Type: 3

    Logon Process: NtLmSsp

    Authentication Package:
    MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

    Workstation Name: \\ZAPHOD

    This occurs with the mapped drives also and for all users.

    Note this system has worked OK for six months and the only thing that is
    obviously changed is TRILLIAN was rolled back a few weeks due to a problem
    with a video edit application that could not be uninstalled.

    The odd thing is two Win2000pro laptops connect the TRILLIAN with no problem
    and TRILLIAN can connect to shares on ZAPHOD with no problem.

    More Background:

    As further background TRILLIAN plugs into a Linksys WLAN/Gateway via
    Ethernet. ZAPHOD (my son's PC) connects via an Ethernet switch to an
    Ethernet-WLAN Bridge connecting back to the Linksys box.

    The two laptops connect via Ethernet or WLAN including via ZAPHOD's
    connection into the Ethernet Switch.

    Both ZAPHOD, TRILLIAN, the Linksys box and the Ethernet-WLAN Bridge have
    fixed IP's. The two laptops have DHCP assigned from the Linksys box.

    ZAPHOD has share level access, TRILLIAN has shares for the various users and
    printers shared. The Guest account on TRILLIAN has always been disabled.

    I have tried removing and reinstalling the network components on ZAPHOD to
    no effect.

    Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and any potential solutions?

    Many Thanks

    Lester Wareham

  2. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    This is not a question related to Active Directory.

    --

    // Christoffer Andersson

    "Lester Wareham" skrev i meddelandet
    news:3fef36a8$0$25939$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk.. .
> [...]

    > More Background:
    >

    > As further background TRILLIAN plugs into a Linksys WLAN/Gateway via
    > Ethernet. ZAPHOD (my son's PC) connects via an Ethernet switch to an
    > Ethernet-WLAN Bridge connecting back to the Linksys box.
    >

    > The two laptops connect via Ethernet or WLAN including via ZAPHOD's
    > connection into the Ethernet Switch.
    >

    > Both ZAPHOD, TRILLIAN, the Linksys box and the Ethernet-WLAN Bridge have
    > fixed IP's. The two laptops have DHCP assigned from the Linksys box.
    >

    > ZAPHOD has share level access, TRILLIAN has shares for the various users

    and
    > printers shared. The Guest account on TRILLIAN has always been disabled.
    >

    > I have tried removing and reinstalling the network components on ZAPHOD to
    > no effect.
    >

    > Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and any potential solutions?

  3. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    I've had a similiar problem which I resolved by reseting the password on the
    XP machine.

    "Lester Wareham" wrote in message
> [...]

    > More Background:
    >

    > As further background TRILLIAN plugs into a Linksys WLAN/Gateway via
    > Ethernet. ZAPHOD (my son's PC) connects via an Ethernet switch to an
    > Ethernet-WLAN Bridge connecting back to the Linksys box.
    >

    > The two laptops connect via Ethernet or WLAN including via ZAPHOD's
    > connection into the Ethernet Switch.
    >

    > Both ZAPHOD, TRILLIAN, the Linksys box and the Ethernet-WLAN Bridge have
    > fixed IP's. The two laptops have DHCP assigned from the Linksys box.
    >

    > ZAPHOD has share level access, TRILLIAN has shares for the various users

    and
    > printers shared. The Guest account on TRILLIAN has always been disabled.
    >

    > I have tried removing and reinstalling the network components on ZAPHOD to
    > no effect.
    >

    > Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and any potential solutions?

  4. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    "Lester Wareham" wrote:

    >Can anyone help me with a network problem I have networking between Win98
    >and WinXPpro.
    >
    >This set-up was working fine but has suddenly developed problems.
    >
    >The Win98 computer (ZAPHOD) can browse the network (see the other computers
    >in the Network), can ping the other computers but is suddenly unable to log
    >into the WinXP system (TRILLIAN).
    >
    >An attempt to browse TRILLIAN from ZAPHOD results in a login dialogue box to
    >connect to \\TRILLIAN\IPC with message "you must supply a password to make
    >this connection". Entering the correct password is rejected with error:
    >Password Incorrect, try again.

    Lester,

    please try to set the password again on the XP computer. This
    problem seems to appear every 42 days.

    If this solves the problem, then, to avoid this in the future,
    change the following policy (approximate names):

    Policies for local computer
    Computer configuration
    Windows settings
    Security settings
    Account policies
    Password policies
    Maximal password age

    I suspect that policy is set to 42 days or to zero. Change it to
    999 days, then you're safe for another two years plus some.
    After that time you have to reenter the passwords again.

    Now you will tell me that zero means the policy is not active.
    The ugly truth is that zero also means 42 days, at least on some
    computers.

    Of course I may be wrong. If what I wrote doesn't hit home,
    please ignore it and keep looking for another cause. I've seen
    the problem here only with Windows 98 computers that become
    unable to log on to XP computers after more than 42 days. But
    resetting the passwords is such a quick test that you might as
    well try it.

    If you do, please reply to this message and mention what
    happened. I appreciate all confirmation or negative findings.

    For more information on networking problems please have a look
    at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

  5. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    >please try to set the password again on the XP computer. This
    >problem seems to appear every 42 days.
    >
    >If this solves the problem, then, to avoid this in the future,
    >change the following policy (approximate names):
    >
    >Policies for local computer
    > Computer configuration
    > Windows settings
    > Security settings
    > Account policies
    > Password policies
    > Maximal password age
    >
    >I suspect that policy is set to 42 days or to zero. Change it to
    >999 days, then you're safe for another two years plus some.
    >After that time you have to reenter the passwords again.

    Sorry, but this has turned out to be wrong. Resetting the
    password does help, but apparently this needs to be repeated
    whenever the defect reappears, possibly every 42 days.

    I got new results today, showing that the policy change had no
    effect.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

  6. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:06:09 +0100, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    >>I suspect that policy is set to 42 days or to zero. Change it to
    >>999 days, then you're safe for another two years plus some.
    >>After that time you have to reenter the passwords again.

    Change it to zero if you want the password to never expire.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

  7. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    Thanks for the suggestion, but it is only the Win98 machine that can't log
    in to the XP one. Local or network login's from the Win2000 laptops are OK.
    I did try resetting the passwords but this did not help.

    I will recheck the security policies.

    Thanks

    Lester

    "Hans-Georg Michna" wrote in message
    > "Lester Wareham" wrote:
    >
    > >Can anyone help me with a network problem I have networking between Win98
    > >and WinXPpro.
    > >
    > >This set-up was working fine but has suddenly developed problems.
    > >
    > >The Win98 computer (ZAPHOD) can browse the network (see the other

    computers
    > >in the Network), can ping the other computers but is suddenly unable to

    log
    > >into the WinXP system (TRILLIAN).
    > >
    > >An attempt to browse TRILLIAN from ZAPHOD results in a login dialogue box

    > >connect to \\TRILLIAN\IPC with message "you must supply a password to

    make
    > >this connection". Entering the correct password is rejected with error:
    > >Password Incorrect, try again.

    > Lester,
    >
    > please try to set the password again on the XP computer. This
    > problem seems to appear every 42 days.
    >
    > If this solves the problem, then, to avoid this in the future,
    > change the following policy (approximate names):
    >
    > Policies for local computer
    > Computer configuration
    > Windows settings
    > Security settings
    > Account policies
    > Password policies
    > Maximal password age
    >
    > I suspect that policy is set to 42 days or to zero. Change it to
    > 999 days, then you're safe for another two years plus some.
    > After that time you have to reenter the passwords again.
    >
    > Now you will tell me that zero means the policy is not active.
    > The ugly truth is that zero also means 42 days, at least on some
    > computers.
    >
    > Of course I may be wrong. If what I wrote doesn't hit home,
    > please ignore it and keep looking for another cause. I've seen
    > the problem here only with Windows 98 computers that become
    > unable to log on to XP computers after more than 42 days. But
    > resetting the passwords is such a quick test that you might as
    > well try it.
    >
    > If you do, please reply to this message and mention what
    > happened. I appreciate all confirmation or negative findings.
    >
    > For more information on networking problems please have a look
    > at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.
    >
    > Hans-Georg
    >
    > --
    > No mail, please.

  8. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    Sharon F wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:06:09 +0100, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    >>>I suspect that policy is set to 42 days or to zero. Change it to
    >>>999 days, then you're safe for another two years plus some.
    >>>After that time you have to reenter the passwords again.

    >Change it to zero if you want the password to never expire.

    Sharon,

    read this thread. This doesn't seem to have any effect, at least
    not on logons from Windows 98SE machines.

    Some people including myself have to reenter the password on the
    Windows XP server every time it goes bad, possibly after every
    42 days. After reentering the password on the server, the
    Windows 98SE machines can again access the server for another 42
    or so days.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

  9. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 07:56:36 +0100, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    > Sharon,
    >
    > read this thread. This doesn't seem to have any effect, at least
    > not on logons from Windows 98SE machines.

    Sorry, Hans. My bad. I should have done that. This thread showed up in
    windowsxp.basics as well. Answered it from the perspective of a single XP
    machine or XP only network.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

  10. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    Many thanks to those who mailed suggestions.

    I have now resolved this problem by resetting the passwords on the XP and 98
    computers as suggested by Peter and others. Despite local login and network
    login to XP from Win2000 working this resolved the problem.

    I think I have isolated the source of the problem by attempting various
    network access operations that were routine until the problem re-manifested,
    at least in part. I thought I would post this information in case it is of
    use to others in the future.

    The problem does not appear to be due to network password expiry time, but
    to the use of NET USE to map a network drive to the 98 machine from the XP
    machine. I had a scheduled task running a script to do this as administrator
    on the XP, to backup the 98 machine to the XP. The drive mapping was a way
    of entering a user name and password for the share on the 98 machine.

    After ruining this script I restarted the 98 machine, which mapped it's
    network drives via a login script OK. But when I clicked a shortcut to the
    XP machine I was prompted for a password to the IPC share. This was what
    happened with the original problem.

    Fortunately, I escaped from this prompt and browsed the shares from the
    mapped network drive. Then browsing the shortcut was OK after this, so I
    escaped a repeat of changing the passwords.

    I have since rewritten the script to run under the target users login on the
    XP, and so have been able to dispense with the NET USE drive mapping, just
    using XCOPY with the network address of the 98 machine as the source path.
    This works without problems.

    I can confirm that login-in to the 98 share from browsing the network
    neighbourhood of the XP machine, even as another user also seems OK. Doing
    this as another user results as a guest login to the 98 machine with a
    prompt for the 98 machines share password.

    The reason for this problem is beyond me but I hope the description is clear
    enough to be helpful.

    Thanks again.

    Lester

    "Peter" wrote in message

    > I have had the same problem with a Windows Me client computer

    networked to a Windows XP Pro computer. Both machines had the same user
    names and passwords set up and until recently the WinMe PC was able to
    access all shared resources on the Windows XP Pro without being prompted for
    any network passwords. All users (except Guest) on the Win Me PC recently
    were unable to access any shared resources on the WinXP machine and were
    prompted to enter a password. Their normal windows login passwords (set the
    same on both PCs) were not accepted to access the network.

    > I was able to solve the problem by setting new passwords for all users on

    both the Windows Me client PC and the Windows XP pro PC. I suspect the
    problem is related to the 42 day password expiry date set by default within
    Windows XP Pro as indicated by Hans-Georg, although users have not been
    prompted to change their passwords on the Windows XP PC.

  11. Re: Sudden Networking Problem Win98 to WinXPpro

    "Lester Wareham" wrote:

    >I think I have isolated the source of the problem by attempting various
    >network access operations that were routine until the problem re-manifested,
    >at least in part. I thought I would post this information in case it is of
    >use to others in the future.
    >
    >The problem does not appear to be due to network password expiry time, but
    >to the use of NET USE to map a network drive to the 98 machine from the XP
    >machine. ...

    Lester,

    thanks for the description, but in my case this cannot be so. I
    don't use NET USE at all, only straight sharing through the
    network computer browser or through UNC paths.

    Still the 98SE machine regularly fails to log on to an XP server
    after some more than a month, out of the blue.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

+ Reply to Thread