Network Setup Problems - Network

This is a discussion on Network Setup Problems - Network ; Hi, Can anyone help me, I need help setting up my Laptop with my Desktop. Both have Ethernet adapters and untill recently I had them networked together through Crossover Cable. However my Laptop was sent away and had Windows ME ...

  1. Network Setup Problems

    Hi,
    Can anyone help me, I need help setting up my Laptop with my Desktop.
    Both have Ethernet adapters and untill recently I had them networked
    together through Crossover Cable. However my Laptop was sent away and had
    Windows ME Removed and a clean install of win98 2nd edition was done.
    I have conected everything up and run the Instal Network wizard several
    times on both machines, created a network setup disk with the desktop and
    run it in the laptop.
    Now the desktop is connected to internet through my bt openworld broadband
    adsl.
    Laptop can access internet, icons in tray say that local area conection is
    conected But neither machine can see the other one or access their files.
    Reading through previous posts I decided to change the IP address of the
    Desktop because they were both the same. But now the laptop cant connect to
    internet anylonger (cannot find server) although icon says it still
    connected.
    Any help would by gratefully received,
    I've spent hours on this and dont know where else to turn
    Fred

    I have included some info which may be helpful:
    Desktop
    OS: WINDOWS XP Home
    Computer Name: Office
    Workgroup Name: MSHOME

    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name: Office
    Primary DNS :
    Node Type: Unknown
    IP Rating Enabled: Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

    Ethernet Adapter Local Area Conection
    Conection Specific DNS Suffix:
    Descriptioon: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address: 00-0c-76-85-e9-5f
    Dhcp Enabled: No
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

    Laptop
    OS WINDOWS 98 2nd Edition
    IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Workgroup Name: MSHOME

  2. Re: Network Setup Problems

    "Ferd Flintstone" wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone help me, I need help setting up my Laptop with my Desktop.
    > Both have Ethernet adapters and untill recently I had them networked
    > together through Crossover Cable. However my Laptop was sent away and had
    > Windows ME Removed and a clean install of win98 2nd edition was done.
    > I have conected everything up and run the Instal Network wizard several
    > times on both machines, created a network setup disk with the desktop and
    > run it in the laptop.
    > Now the desktop is connected to internet through my bt openworld broadband
    > adsl.
    > Laptop can access internet, icons in tray say that local area conection is
    > conected But neither machine can see the other one or access their files.
    > Reading through previous posts I decided to change the IP address of the
    > Desktop because they were both the same. But now the laptop cant connect to
    > internet anylonger (cannot find server) although icon says it still
    > connected.
    > Any help would by gratefully received,
    > I've spent hours on this and dont know where else to turn
    > Fred
    >
    > I have included some info which may be helpful:
    > Desktop
    > OS: WINDOWS XP Home
    > Computer Name: Office
    > Workgroup Name: MSHOME
    >
    > Windows IP Configuration
    > Host Name: Office
    > Primary DNS :
    > Node Type: Unknown
    > IP Rating Enabled: Yes
    > WINS Proxy Enabled: No
    >
    > Ethernet Adapter Local Area Conection
    > Conection Specific DNS Suffix:
    > Descriptioon: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    > Physical Address: 00-0c-76-85-e9-5f
    > Dhcp Enabled: No
    > IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    > Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    >
    > Laptop
    > OS WINDOWS 98 2nd Edition
    > IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    > Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Workgroup Name: MSHOME

    Hi,
    Please answer follwoing questions, I will try to help you out
    1)How do you connect openworld broadband adsl.(through ethernet[LAN] or USB )
    if it is lan give me ip adress.

    2)what are the device'es you have for LAN .
    3)name of laptop.
    4)what was the preovious ip address of desktop
    if you can mail me the info it will be fasten the process.
    mail it to techsupport@indiatimes.com or naveensarathi@indiatimes.com

+ Reply to Thread