Internet Connection Sharing Question - Network

This is a discussion on Internet Connection Sharing Question - Network ; Hi, I have a home network setup with a router. The router is set on 192.168.0.1, and all subsequent computers connected to it automatically get assigned IPs of 0.2, 0.3, etc... I recently got a laptop, and I have no ...

  1. Internet Connection Sharing Question

    Hi,

    I have a home network setup with a router. The router is set on 192.168.0.1,
    and all subsequent computers connected to it automatically get assigned IPs
    of 0.2, 0.3, etc...

    I recently got a laptop, and I have no ports left on the router. So I
    thought I could just connect my laptop to my PC via an old USB network
    adapter, and share the internet connection.

    I can network the Laptop and PC, and I can share files etc. But no internet.
    When I try to share the internet connection on my PC, windows says that I
    cant have anything on 192.168.0.1 and that I have to unassign this IP so it
    can use it for sharing.

    I dont want to do this. The router I have is very sensitive and bitchy and I
    dont want to change my settings.

    Is there an easier way to change my internet connection settings and still
    share my internet?

    Thanks for any help!
    James

  2. Re: Internet Connection Sharing Question

    Hi James,
    I did have the same prob and your laptop must go through your router
    to the internet and not via a pc on your LAN. You must connect a hub
    to your router and connect your laptop and another pc to the hub.
    Dave.

    "James Weber" wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a home network setup with a router. The router is set on 192.168.0.1,
    > and all subsequent computers connected to it automatically get assigned IPs
    > of 0.2, 0.3, etc...
    >
    > I recently got a laptop, and I have no ports left on the router. So I
    > thought I could just connect my laptop to my PC via an old USB network
    > adapter, and share the internet connection.
    >
    > I can network the Laptop and PC, and I can share files etc. But no internet.
    > When I try to share the internet connection on my PC, windows says that I
    > cant have anything on 192.168.0.1 and that I have to unassign this IP so it
    > can use it for sharing.
    >
    > I dont want to do this. The router I have is very sensitive and bitchy and I
    > dont want to change my settings.
    >
    > Is there an easier way to change my internet connection settings and still
    > share my internet?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > James

  3. Re: Internet Connection Sharing Question

    Thanks for your help.

    Thought there was no other way...

    James

    news:3ab73ea2.0312271932.58a3aa0@posting.google.co m...

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a home network setup with a router. The router is set on

    192.168.0.1,
    > > and all subsequent computers connected to it automatically get assigned

    IPs
    > > of 0.2, 0.3, etc...
    > >
    > > I recently got a laptop, and I have no ports left on the router. So I
    > > thought I could just connect my laptop to my PC via an old USB network
    > > adapter, and share the internet connection.
    > >
    > > I can network the Laptop and PC, and I can share files etc. But no

    internet.
    > > When I try to share the internet connection on my PC, windows says that

    > > cant have anything on 192.168.0.1 and that I have to unassign this IP so

    it
    > > can use it for sharing.
    > >
    > > I dont want to do this. The router I have is very sensitive and bitchy

    and I
    > > dont want to change my settings.
    > >
    > > Is there an easier way to change my internet connection settings and

    still
    > > share my internet?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help!
    > > James

  4. Re: Internet Connection Sharing Question

    "James Weber" wrote in message news:...
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Thought there was no other way...
    >
    > James
    >

    > "David." wrote in message
    > news:3ab73ea2.0312271932.58a3aa0@posting.google.co m...
    > > Hi James,
    > > I did have the same prob and your laptop must go through your router
    > > to the internet and not via a pc on your LAN. You must connect a hub
    > > to your router and connect your laptop and another pc to the hub.
    > > Dave.
    > >

    > > "James Weber" wrote in message

    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a home network setup with a router. The router is set on

    > 192.168.0.1,
    > > > and all subsequent computers connected to it automatically get assigned

    > IPs
    > > > of 0.2, 0.3, etc...
    > > >
    > > > I recently got a laptop, and I have no ports left on the router. So I
    > > > thought I could just connect my laptop to my PC via an old USB network
    > > > adapter, and share the internet connection.
    > > >
    > > > I can network the Laptop and PC, and I can share files etc. But no

    > internet.
    > > > When I try to share the internet connection on my PC, windows says that

    > > > cant have anything on 192.168.0.1 and that I have to unassign this IP so

    > it
    > > > can use it for sharing.
    > > >
    > > > I dont want to do this. The router I have is very sensitive and bitchy

    > and I
    > > > dont want to change my settings.
    > > >
    > > > Is there an easier way to change my internet connection settings and

    > still
    > > > share my internet?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any help!
    > > > James

    their is a way. but i am not sure wheter it works or not ,
    if you have have win98 SE (according to theory)it shold work with the
    first mentioned configration.

    give me proper picture of your network.

  5. Re: Internet Connection Sharing Question

    Both are XP.

    I have a home network wiht a broadband conneciton running into the router.
    All comps connect to the router. the DHCP thing assigns IPs automatically
    and the router is set on 192.168.0.1...

    I dont want to change the router setting cos its a bitch.

    I want to connect my laptop to MY pc, and share the internet from my pc to
    the laptop.

    Is this clearer? Sorry if Im rambling.

    James

    news:6197a3f5.0401011913.51857d34@posting.google.c om...

    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > Thought there was no other way...
    > >
    > > James
    > >

    > > "David." wrote in message
    > > news:3ab73ea2.0312271932.58a3aa0@posting.google.co m...
    > > > Hi James,
    > > > I did have the same prob and your laptop must go through your router
    > > > to the internet and not via a pc on your LAN. You must connect a hub
    > > > to your router and connect your laptop and another pc to the hub.
    > > > Dave.
    > > >

    > > > "James Weber" wrote in message

    > > 192.168.0.1,

    assigned
    > > IPs

    network

    > > internet.

    that

    IP so
    > > it

    bitchy
    > > and I

    > > still

    > their is a way. but i am not sure wheter it works or not ,
    > if you have have win98 SE (according to theory)it shold work with the
    > first mentioned configration.
    >
    > give me proper picture of your network.

+ Reply to Thread