OpenVMS and Windows workgroups. - Network

This is a discussion on OpenVMS and Windows workgroups. - Network ; Greetings all, OpenVMS 7.3-1 Windows XP Pro HP TCP/IP services Can an Alphaserver running OpenVMS connect to a windows workgroup? The PCs in this workgroup do not belong to a domain and therefore do not have IP addresses assigned. I ...

  1. OpenVMS and Windows workgroups.

    Greetings all,

    OpenVMS 7.3-1
    Windows XP Pro
    HP TCP/IP services

    Can an Alphaserver running OpenVMS connect to a windows workgroup?
    The PCs in this workgroup do not belong to a domain and therefore do
    not have IP addresses assigned. I have given the Alpha an IP address
    but as far as I'm aware this is meaningless in the workgroup context.

    Is DECnet a possibility?

    Thanks in advance.
    Dave.

  2. Re: OpenVMS and Windows workgroups.

    blah@blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.com wrote:

    > Greetings all,
    >
    > OpenVMS 7.3-1
    > Windows XP Pro
    > HP TCP/IP services
    >
    > Can an Alphaserver running OpenVMS connect to a windows workgroup?

    Google for "samba".

    > The PCs in this workgroup do not belong to a domain and therefore do
    > not have IP addresses assigned.

    AFAIK, there is no direct connection. M$ "domains" use proprietary
    protocols, optionally bound to TCP/IP; however, TCP/IP does not require
    a M$ "domain".

    > I have given the Alpha an IP address
    > but as far as I'm aware this is meaningless in the workgroup context.

    ....as explained above.

    > Is DECnet a possibility?

    Yes, but probably not what you're looking for. Read up on Samba.

    --
    David J. Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

  3. Re: OpenVMS and Windows workgroups.

    "David J. Dachtera" schreef in
    bericht news:3FECF241.856A5665@NeOaSrPtAhMlNiOnWk.net...
    > blah@blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.com wrote:
    > >
    > > Greetings all,
    > >
    > > OpenVMS 7.3-1
    > > Windows XP Pro
    > > HP TCP/IP services
    > >
    > > Can an Alphaserver running OpenVMS connect to a windows workgroup?

    > Google for "samba".
    >
    > > The PCs in this workgroup do not belong to a domain and therefore do
    > > not have IP addresses assigned.

    > AFAIK, there is no direct connection. M$ "domains" use proprietary
    > protocols, optionally bound to TCP/IP; however, TCP/IP does not require
    > a M$ "domain".
    >
    > > I have given the Alpha an IP address
    > > but as far as I'm aware this is meaningless in the workgroup context.

    > ...as explained above.
    >
    > > Is DECnet a possibility?

    > Yes, but probably not what you're looking for. Read up on Samba.

    DECnet on XP won't work because there's no support for DECnet on Windows
    2000 and later (NT 5.x). NT4 and the DOS based Windows systems do support
    DECnet and work rather well with Patworks. I do not know whether Samba
    supports DECnet.

    Hans

  4. Re: OpenVMS and Windows workgroups.

    Give XP Pro a secondary fixed IP, you can do this even if you use DHCP for
    the workgroup. Then simple Telnet to the Alpha box.

    wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > OpenVMS 7.3-1
    > Windows XP Pro
    > HP TCP/IP services
    >
    > Can an Alphaserver running OpenVMS connect to a windows workgroup?
    > The PCs in this workgroup do not belong to a domain and therefore do
    > not have IP addresses assigned. I have given the Alpha an IP address
    > but as far as I'm aware this is meaningless in the workgroup context.
    >
    > Is DECnet a possibility?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Dave.

+ Reply to Thread