Connecting two home PC's - Network

This is a discussion on Connecting two home PC's - Network ; I wish to connect 2 PC's together at home via a crossover cable. Using Windows 98 I have done it before but my son managed to break the cable twice in the door, so I'm now on to my third ...

  1. Connecting two home PC's

    I wish to connect 2 PC's together at home via a crossover cable. Using
    Windows 98

    I have done it before but my son managed to break the cable twice in the
    door, so I'm now on to my third cable. Its over a year ago since I had them
    working and I remember many hours of angst trying to get them to connect
    together.(Yes once I get them speaking I'll do something with the cable, but
    not sure what)

    I have an Ethernet adapter in each.

    My machine has had a hard disk crash since they both connected. My sons
    shouldn't have changed.

    His network settings show:

    Adapter: Client for Microsoft Networs
    Adapter: Dial up adapter
    Protocol: Ethernet Adapter
    Protocol: NetBeui
    Protocol: TCP/IP dial up
    Protocol: TCP/IP Ethernet Adapter
    File and Printer Sharing

  2. Re: Connecting two home PC's

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:22:08 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
    wrote:

    >I wish to connect 2 PC's together at home via a crossover cable. Using
    >Windows 98
    >
    >I have done it before but my son managed to break the cable twice in the
    >door, so I'm now on to my third cable. Its over a year ago since I had them
    >working and I remember many hours of angst trying to get them to connect
    >together.(Yes once I get them speaking I'll do something with the cable, but
    >not sure what)
    >
    >I have an Ethernet adapter in each.
    >
    >My machine has had a hard disk crash since they both connected. My sons
    >shouldn't have changed.
    >
    >His network settings show:
    >
    >Adapter: Client for Microsoft Networs
    >Adapter: Dial up adapter
    >Protocol: Ethernet Adapter
    >Protocol: NetBeui
    >Protocol: TCP/IP dial up
    >Protocol: TCP/IP Ethernet Adapter
    >File and Printer Sharing

    >-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    First make sure that both machines in the same workgroup, usually

    WORKGROUP by default.

    Set the IP and subnet mask to

    No/ 1 - IP = 192.168.0.1 subnet = 255.255.255.0
    No/ 2 - IP = 192.168.0.2 subnet = 255.255.255.0

    reboot both machines and they should see each other
    That should be all there is to it.

    Taff.............

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: Connecting two home PC's

    taff wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:22:08 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I wish to connect 2 PC's together at home via a crossover cable. Using
    > >Windows 98
    > >
    > >I have done it before but my son managed to break the cable twice in the
    > >door, so I'm now on to my third cable. Its over a year ago since I had

    them
    > >working and I remember many hours of angst trying to get them to connect
    > >together.(Yes once I get them speaking I'll do something with the cable,

    but
    > >not sure what)
    > >
    > >I have an Ethernet adapter in each.
    > >
    > >My machine has had a hard disk crash since they both connected. My sons
    > >shouldn't have changed.
    > >
    > >His network settings show:
    > >
    > >Adapter: Client for Microsoft Networs
    > >Adapter: Dial up adapter
    > >Protocol: Ethernet Adapter
    > >Protocol: NetBeui
    > >Protocol: TCP/IP dial up
    > >Protocol: TCP/IP Ethernet Adapter
    > >File and Printer Sharing

    > >http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > >-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    > First make sure that both machines in the same workgroup, usually
    >
    > WORKGROUP by default.
    >
    > Set the IP and subnet mask to
    >
    > No/ 1 - IP = 192.168.0.1 subnet = 255.255.255.0
    > No/ 2 - IP = 192.168.0.2 subnet = 255.255.255.0
    >
    > reboot both machines and they should see each other
    > That should be all there is to it.

    I have done all that and I can see my machine from my sons buit not my sons
    from mine.

    Do I need any entires in DNS, Gateway and Wins?

  4. Re: Connecting two home PC's

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:37:05 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
    wrote:

    >taff wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:22:08 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I wish to connect 2 PC's together at home via a crossover cable. Using
    >> >Windows 98
    >> >
    >> >I have done it before but my son managed to break the cable twice in the
    >> >door, so I'm now on to my third cable. Its over a year ago since I had

    >them
    >> >working and I remember many hours of angst trying to get them to connect
    >> >together.(Yes once I get them speaking I'll do something with the cable,

    >but
    >> >not sure what)
    >> >
    >> >I have an Ethernet adapter in each.
    >> >
    >> >My machine has had a hard disk crash since they both connected. My sons
    >> >shouldn't have changed.
    >> >
    >> >His network settings show:
    >> >
    >> >Adapter: Client for Microsoft Networs
    >> >Adapter: Dial up adapter
    >> >Protocol: Ethernet Adapter
    >> >Protocol: NetBeui
    >> >Protocol: TCP/IP dial up
    >> >Protocol: TCP/IP Ethernet Adapter
    >> >File and Printer Sharing

    >> >http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >> >-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    >> First make sure that both machines in the same workgroup, usually
    >>
    >> WORKGROUP by default.
    >>
    >> Set the IP and subnet mask to
    >>
    >> No/ 1 - IP = 192.168.0.1 subnet = 255.255.255.0
    >> No/ 2 - IP = 192.168.0.2 subnet = 255.255.255.0
    >>
    >> reboot both machines and they should see each other
    >> That should be all there is to it.
    >>

    >I have done all that and I can see my machine from my sons buit not my sons
    >from mine.
    >
    >Do I need any entires in DNS, Gateway and Wins?

    You should not need any entries for these but you can try setting the
    gateway for 129.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2 and vice versa.

    Do you have a firewall installed on either machine ?? If so this may
    be the problem. If so put both IP's in the trusted zone.

    Taff..........

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  5. Re: Connecting two home PC's

    "Trevor Appleton" wrote in message news:<3febfdc2_8@corp.newsgroups.com>...
    > I wish to connect 2 PC's together at home via a crossover cable. Using
    > Windows 98

    I hate to be the one with a simple solution (ok, it's not really a
    solution) to a problem, but if you have the cash then why not upgrade
    to Windows XP? Simple netwroking tasks like this are a doddle with
    XP.

    Otherwise, make sure firewalls are switched off and that both machines
    have the correct protocols installed and enabled.

    Kirk

  6. Re: Connecting two home PC's

    krkb@hotmail.com (Kirk) wrote in message news:<8506dbd5.0312290805.2fef7429@posting.google.com>...
    > "Trevor Appleton" wrote in message news:<3febfdc2_8@corp.newsgroups.com>...

    > Otherwise, make sure firewalls are switched off and that both machines
    > have the correct protocols installed and enabled.

    Is there no way to have firewalls enabled and connect them?

    Jules

  7. Re: Connecting two home PC's

    taff wrote in message news:...
    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:37:05 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"

    > Do you have a firewall installed on either machine ?? If so this may
    > be the problem. If so put both IP's in the trusted zone.

    How do I find out the trusted zone of IP's?

    Jules

+ Reply to Thread