Bad Hardware or Software Problem? - Network

This is a discussion on Bad Hardware or Software Problem? - Network ; have a network based on a Microsoft mn 500 base station with a second home built computer connected via an mn-130 PCI adapter.This system has been working flawlessly for months. Then we lost power while the system was running. When ...

  1. Bad Hardware or Software Problem?

    have a network based on a Microsoft mn 500 base station with a
    second home built computer connected via an mn-130 PCI adapter.This
    system has been working flawlessly for months. Then we lost power
    while the system was running. When power returned , the second
    computer showed a "found new hardware" dialog for an ethernet adapter.
    The broadband networking utility said I wasn't connected to the
    network or internet and I can't access either. My third computer, a
    notebook networked wirelessly, connects properly. I have tried
    rebooting, resetting the base station, system restore (Win XP), and
    reinstalling the software from the CD. The latter won't work because
    it properly reports that the software on the machine has been updated
    to a newer version.I also tried following the instructions in the
    "Found New Hardware" dialog, but the result is that the driver
    couldn't be found, either on the CD or in the Microsoft Broadband
    Networking folder on the Hard Drive. The device manager shows an
    ethernet adapter by an unknown vendor which is not functioning
    properly.

    What do I do?
    ..

  2. Re: Bad Hardware or Software Problem?

    Open the computer find out what knid of nic card it is then go get a driver
    off of the net and install it and you should be fine

    "Dave Wilson" wrote in message
    > have a network based on a Microsoft mn 500 base station with a
    > second home built computer connected via an mn-130 PCI adapter.This
    > system has been working flawlessly for months. Then we lost power
    > while the system was running. When power returned , the second
    > computer showed a "found new hardware" dialog for an ethernet adapter.
    > The broadband networking utility said I wasn't connected to the
    > network or internet and I can't access either. My third computer, a
    > notebook networked wirelessly, connects properly. I have tried
    > rebooting, resetting the base station, system restore (Win XP), and
    > reinstalling the software from the CD. The latter won't work because
    > it properly reports that the software on the machine has been updated
    > to a newer version.I also tried following the instructions in the
    > "Found New Hardware" dialog, but the result is that the driver
    > couldn't be found, either on the CD or in the Microsoft Broadband
    > Networking folder on the Hard Drive. The device manager shows an
    > ethernet adapter by an unknown vendor which is not functioning
    > properly.
    >
    > What do I do?
    > .

+ Reply to Thread