=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Problem_sharing_files_=96_XP_privacy?= - Network

This is a discussion on =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Problem_sharing_files_=96_XP_privacy?= - Network ; I have two computers joint together via a router, meaning they share one ADSL connection, a printer, and soon hopefully files. Initially I created two Administrative accounts on the two systems, and set up a password. When I did this ...

  1. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Problem_sharing_files_=96_XP_privacy?=

    I have two computers joint together via a router, meaning they share
    one ADSL connection, a printer, and soon hopefully files. Initially I
    created two Administrative accounts on the two systems, and set up a
    password. When I did this Windows XP asked if I wanted to make the
    files under those accounts invisible from other accounts, and I agreed
    to this. As it turns out this is preventing me from sharing e.g. the
    My Documents folders on the network, though I can still move files if
    I place them into a dedicated shared folder under these accounts not
    a very elegant solution.

    Does anyone know how to make these files visible again from other
    accounts / over the network again? I've tried removing the password,
    but this makes no difference as XP doesn't offer to "unprivatize" the
    files under that account. It's only logical to assume that if you can
    enable something, there must be away to disable it.

    Many thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Problem sharing files XP privacy

    On 21 Dec 2003 15:34:19 -0800, martin_misiowiec@hotmail.com (Martin
    Misiowiec) wrote:

    >I have two computers joint together via a router, meaning they share
    >one ADSL connection, a printer, and soon hopefully files. Initially I
    >created two Administrative accounts on the two systems, and set up a
    >password. When I did this Windows XP asked if I wanted to make the
    >files under those accounts invisible from other accounts, and I agreed
    >to this. As it turns out this is preventing me from sharing e.g. the
    >My Documents folders on the network, though I can still move files if
    >I place them into a dedicated shared folder under these accounts not
    >a very elegant solution.
    >
    >Does anyone know how to make these files visible again from other
    >accounts / over the network again? I've tried removing the password,
    >but this makes no difference as XP doesn't offer to "unprivatize" the
    >files under that account. It's only logical to assume that if you can
    >enable something, there must be away to disable it.
    >
    >Many thanks for any help.

    This is Windows XP, what the hell has logic got to do with it :-=))

    Taff..............

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: Problem sharing files - XP privacy

    Go into windows explorer, the defualt My Documents folder fo the account you
    are logged onto will be at the top
    on the left hand side of your screen right click go to properties
    then to the sharing tab and take the check mark out of ( Make this folder
    private )
    and this should take care of your problem

    ZyRiX

    "Martin Misiowiec" wrote in message
    news:10f44bc0.0312211534.24ba97bc@posting.google.c om...
    > I have two computers joint together via a router, meaning they share
    > one ADSL connection, a printer, and soon hopefully files. Initially I
    > created two Administrative accounts on the two systems, and set up a
    > password. When I did this Windows XP asked if I wanted to make the
    > files under those accounts invisible from other accounts, and I agreed
    > to this. As it turns out this is preventing me from sharing e.g. the
    > My Documents folders on the network, though I can still move files if
    > I place them into a dedicated shared folder under these accounts - not
    > a very elegant solution.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to make these files visible again from other
    > accounts / over the network again? I've tried removing the password,
    > but this makes no difference as XP doesn't offer to "unprivatize" the
    > files under that account. It's only logical to assume that if you can
    > enable something, there must be away to disable it.
    >
    > Many thanks for any help.

+ Reply to Thread