Gigabit unmanaged switches - Network

This is a discussion on Gigabit unmanaged switches - Network ; I have a network with the following setup: W2000 server with Netgear GA302T Gigabit adaptor connected to: Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch Connected to: another Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch Connected to: A PC with another ...

  1. Gigabit unmanaged switches

    I have a network with the following setup:

    W2000 server with Netgear GA302T Gigabit adaptor
    connected to:
    Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch
    Connected to:
    another Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch
    Connected to:
    A PC with another Netgear GA302T Gigabit adaptor and a PC with a Dlink
    DGE-550T Gigabit network card.

    Both switches have additional items connected. The first has a
    Netgear 100 Mbs hub and other devices, including a Dlink DSL-504
    Internet router and switch(100 Mbps). The second has a slower print
    server attached.

    I seem to be getting file transfer speeds which are much slower than
    expected. For example, a 4 Gbyte file takes 6 minutes to copy across
    the network.

    Any suggestions as to what is wrong?
    Thanks,
    DavidA

  2. Re: Gigabit unmanaged switches

    d_l_adamson@madasafish.com (DavidA) wrote in message news:<47225bf5.0312201529.59682cb1@posting.google.com>...
    > I have a network with the following setup:
    >
    > W2000 server with Netgear GA302T Gigabit adaptor
    > connected to:
    > Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch
    > Connected to:
    > another Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch
    > Connected to:
    > A PC with another Netgear GA302T Gigabit adaptor and a PC with a Dlink
    > DGE-550T Gigabit network card.
    >
    > Both switches have additional items connected. The first has a
    > Netgear 100 Mbs hub and other devices, including a Dlink DSL-504
    > Internet router and switch(100 Mbps). The second has a slower print
    > server attached.
    >
    > I seem to be getting file transfer speeds which are much slower than
    > expected. For example, a 4 Gbyte file takes 6 minutes to copy across
    > the network.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what is wrong?
    > Thanks,
    > DavidA

    That is because the Netgear GS105 is a known piece or garbage.
    Try forcing your NICs to run at 100. It will run faster. I just saw it
    happen last week.

  3. Re: Gigabit unmanaged switches

    john@networktroubleshooters.com (John@networktroubleshooters.com) wrote in message news:<60859ed8.0312230101.2dc5cf9b@posting.google.com>...
    > d_l_adamson@madasafish.com (DavidA) wrote in message news:<47225bf5.0312201529.59682cb1@posting.google.com>...
    > > I have a network with the following setup:
    > >
    > > W2000 server with Netgear GA302T Gigabit adaptor
    > > connected to:
    > > Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch
    > > Connected to:
    > > another Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch
    > > Connected to:
    > > A PC with another Netgear GA302T Gigabit adaptor and a PC with a Dlink
    > > DGE-550T Gigabit network card.
    > >
    > > Both switches have additional items connected. The first has a
    > > Netgear 100 Mbs hub and other devices, including a Dlink DSL-504
    > > Internet router and switch(100 Mbps). The second has a slower print
    > > server attached.
    > >
    > > I seem to be getting file transfer speeds which are much slower than
    > > expected. For example, a 4 Gbyte file takes 6 minutes to copy across
    > > the network.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions as to what is wrong?
    > > Thanks,
    > > DavidA

    > That is because the Netgear GS105 is a known piece or garbage.
    > Try forcing your NICs to run at 100. It will run faster. I just saw it
    > happen last week.

    Tried this - it didn't seem to work. However, Netgear have now said
    that their switches will always run at the speed of the slowest device
    on the network (or possibly, directly on the switch). In my case this
    would be 10Mbps because I have a networked printer (or 100 Mbps if
    it's only connections to the switch which affect it). Surely this
    rather defeats the object of having autosensing ports and cannot be
    regarded as "normal" behaviour?
    Thanks,
    David A

  4. Re: Gigabit unmanaged switches

    The actual download speed is throughput(time)= file size/bandwidth. Which
    is kilobits not bytes. Actual bandwidth (because of contention and media)
    is never stated bandwidth.

    "DavidA" wrote in message
    news:47225bf5.0312201529.59682cb1@posting.google.c om...
    > I have a network with the following setup:
    >
    > W2000 server with Netgear GA302T Gigabit adaptor
    > connected to:
    > Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch
    > Connected to:
    > another Netgear GS105 five port unmanaged Gigabit switch
    > Connected to:
    > A PC with another Netgear GA302T Gigabit adaptor and a PC with a Dlink
    > DGE-550T Gigabit network card.
    >
    > Both switches have additional items connected. The first has a
    > Netgear 100 Mbs hub and other devices, including a Dlink DSL-504
    > Internet router and switch(100 Mbps). The second has a slower print
    > server attached.
    >
    > I seem to be getting file transfer speeds which are much slower than
    > expected. For example, a 4 Gbyte file takes 6 minutes to copy across
    > the network.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what is wrong?
    > Thanks,
    > DavidA