Network Assignment - Network

This is a discussion on Network Assignment - Network ; You might find this a bit cheeky, but would someone offer me some assistance with my college assignment on networking? What I have to do is come up with a network setup to match the following specification: Network will have ...

  1. Network Assignment

    You might find this a bit cheeky, but would someone offer me some assistance
    with my college assignment on networking?

    What I have to do is come up with a network setup to match the following
    specification:

    Network will have 5 pcs
    Shared printer and scanner
    All files need to be stored on a single networked hard drive, and this data
    will need to be backed up at regular intervals.

    Right, now the setup I plan to use involves Wireless, so I know I'll need to
    have a router and all the machines have wireless adapters.

    What I don't know much about is whether I need a server for file storage,
    and if I need special network operating system, and if so is this instead of
    Windows XP?

    If so, which OS is the best?

    Any help much appreciated!

  2. Re: Network Assignment

    "Lucas" wrote in message
    news:293ae2ec05fa0a82fa5babc7c90b2d97@news.teranew s.com...
    > You might find this a bit cheeky, but would someone offer me some

    assistance
    > with my college assignment on networking?
    >
    > What I have to do is come up with a network setup to match the following
    > specification:
    >
    > Network will have 5 pcs
    > Shared printer and scanner
    > All files need to be stored on a single networked hard drive, and this

    data
    > will need to be backed up at regular intervals.
    >
    > Right, now the setup I plan to use involves Wireless, so I know I'll need

    > have a router and all the machines have wireless adapters.
    >
    > What I don't know much about is whether I need a server for file storage,
    > and if I need special network operating system, and if so is this instead

    of
    > Windows XP?
    >
    > If so, which OS is the best?
    >
    > Any help much appreciated!

    Lucas,

    Here are some links, they may answer a few of your questions,

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm

    HTH

    Tom Buchanan