Secirity on a home network sharing files - Network

This is a discussion on Secirity on a home network sharing files - Network ; Hello: I'm new to this, so please forgive my neophyte questions. I have just recently conected two computers in my home to a router to share a cable modem. I have also created a home network so both computers can ...

  1. Secirity on a home network sharing files

    Hello:

    I'm new to this, so please forgive my neophyte questions.

    I have just recently conected two computers in my home to a router to
    share a cable modem. I have also created a home network so both
    computers can share files and one printer. When I set up the home
    network, using Windows XP's network wizard, I got this very scary
    message saying, essentially, there was no safe way to have a home
    network share files and be behind a firewall.

    Is this true? Am I vulnerable to attack? Should I purchase a
    separate Firewall program? Can someone just explain this to me?

    Thanks.

    Lynnpd

  2. Re: Secirity on a home network sharing files

    "lynn" wrote in message
    news:195e4c15.0312150952.30eb2d9a@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello:
    >
    > I'm new to this, so please forgive my neophyte questions.
    >
    > I have just recently conected two computers in my home to a router to
    > share a cable modem. I have also created a home network so both
    > computers can share files and one printer. When I set up the home
    > network, using Windows XP's network wizard, I got this very scary
    > message saying, essentially, there was no safe way to have a home
    > network share files and be behind a firewall.
    >
    > Is this true? Am I vulnerable to attack? Should I purchase a
    > separate Firewall program? Can someone just explain this to me?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Lynnpd

    You are correct to be concerned, follow the link below

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm

    Tom Buchanan

  3. Re: Secirity on a home network sharing files

    "Tom Buchanan" wrote in message

    > You are correct to be concerned, follow the link below
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm

    Tom,

    I don't think he mentioned a wireless network.

  4. Re: Secirity on a home network sharing files

    "lynn" wrote in message
    news:195e4c15.0312150952.30eb2d9a@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello:
    >
    > I'm new to this, so please forgive my neophyte questions.
    >
    > I have just recently conected two computers in my home to a router to
    > share a cable modem. I have also created a home network so both
    > computers can share files and one printer. When I set up the home
    > network, using Windows XP's network wizard, I got this very scary
    > message saying, essentially, there was no safe way to have a home
    > network share files and be behind a firewall.
    >
    > Is this true? Am I vulnerable to attack? Should I purchase a
    > separate Firewall program? Can someone just explain this to me?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Lynnpd

    If you're behind a router (and I assume you're using NAT) you're probably
    ok. I have a similar set up at home and I know many others with it. I
    don't have a seperate firewall program, I just use the built in functions of
    the Linksys router.

  5. Re: Secirity on a home network sharing files

    "Adam Steiner" wrote in message news:<076b37fd32406821f2c2b0ade94be95c@news.teranews.com>...
    > "lynn" wrote in message
    > news:195e4c15.0312150952.30eb2d9a@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hello:
    > >
    > > I'm new to this, so please forgive my neophyte questions.
    > >
    > > I have just recently conected two computers in my home to a router to
    > > share a cable modem. I have also created a home network so both
    > > computers can share files and one printer. When I set up the home
    > > network, using Windows XP's network wizard, I got this very scary
    > > message saying, essentially, there was no safe way to have a home
    > > network share files and be behind a firewall.
    > >
    > > Is this true? Am I vulnerable to attack? Should I purchase a
    > > separate Firewall program? Can someone just explain this to me?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Lynnpd

    > If you're behind a router (and I assume you're using NAT) you're probably
    > ok. I have a similar set up at home and I know many others with it. I
    > don't have a seperate firewall program, I just use the built in functions of
    > the Linksys router.

    Ok, here's the newbie question, what is NAT? And how do I know I'm
    using the functions of the router?

    Lynn

  6. Re: Secirity on a home network sharing files

    "lynn" wrote in message
    news:195e4c15.0312160809.257fadff@posting.google.c om...
    > "Adam Steiner" wrote in message

    > > "lynn" wrote in message
    > > news:195e4c15.0312150952.30eb2d9a@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Hello:
    > > >
    > > > I'm new to this, so please forgive my neophyte questions.
    > > >
    > > > I have just recently conected two computers in my home to a router to
    > > > share a cable modem. I have also created a home network so both
    > > > computers can share files and one printer. When I set up the home
    > > > network, using Windows XP's network wizard, I got this very scary
    > > > message saying, essentially, there was no safe way to have a home
    > > > network share files and be behind a firewall.
    > > >
    > > > Is this true? Am I vulnerable to attack? Should I purchase a
    > > > separate Firewall program? Can someone just explain this to me?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Lynnpd

    > > If you're behind a router (and I assume you're using NAT) you're

    probably
    > > ok. I have a similar set up at home and I know many others with it.

    > > don't have a seperate firewall program, I just use the built in

    functions of
    > > the Linksys router.

    > Ok, here's the newbie question, what is NAT? And how do I know I'm
    > using the functions of the router?

    NAT stands for Network Address Translation. When you sign up for DSL or
    cable modem service, you get one IP (Internet Protocol) address. An IP
    address must be unique, it is your address on the Internet. But what if
    you want to hook up multiple computers to your DSL or cable modem line? You
    use NAT. To the public, the router appears as your computer with the IP
    address that you have from your ISP. But privately, the router assigns
    private IP addresses to all of the computer in your network.

    For instance: You get the IP 129.22.111.132 from your ISP. So now, when
    I send you a webpage, I send it to that address. That IP address is your
    router's address. Now you have two computer set up, hooked up to the
    router. Each of those computers has an IP address, one 192.168.1.1 and
    192.168.1.2 (Linksys uses 192.168.1.*, others use other address in 192.168).
    Those IP's are not publicly viewable. The router keeps track of which
    computer on the internal network (192.168) requested a page, and then when
    it gets it back, it sends it to the proper destination.

    If you have a DSL or Cable Modem line (residential) and you have more than
    one computer hooked up to it, and your computers are hooked up through a
    router, you are probably running NAT.

    --Adam

+ Reply to Thread