Setting up a network? - Network

This is a discussion on Setting up a network? - Network ; Hey, I'm thinking about setting up a network to share internet with other flats in my block of flats. Heres the setup. I'm going to get a 2meg line into my flat. I know I need to setup a gateway ...

  1. Setting up a network?

    Hey,

    I'm thinking about setting up a network to share internet with other
    flats in my block of flats. Heres the setup. I'm going to get a 2meg
    line into my flat. I know I need to setup a gateway server and plug
    that into a switch. My problem is that when I plug other flats into
    the switch they will be able to see each other. This is something I
    don't want to happen. Is it possible to make it so each port can only
    talk to the port with the gateway PC on. I have heard this is
    possible with a managed switch but what feature do I need to look for?
    I looked at ACL but I could only see filtering on IP address and I
    wnat to give the flats the abilityu to put in another switch to share
    their net connection between 2 or more pcs.

    Adam

  2. Re: Setting up a network?

    Adam Finzel wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I'm thinking about setting up a network to share internet with other
    > flats in my block of flats. Heres the setup. I'm going to get a 2meg
    > line into my flat. I know I need to setup a gateway server and plug
    > that into a switch. My problem is that when I plug other flats into
    > the switch they will be able to see each other. This is something I
    > don't want to happen. Is it possible to make it so each port can only
    > talk to the port with the gateway PC on. I have heard this is
    > possible with a managed switch but what feature do I need to look for?
    > I looked at ACL but I could only see filtering on IP address and I
    > wnat to give the flats the abilityu to put in another switch to share
    > their net connection between 2 or more pcs.
    >
    > Adam

    You could turn off the ports associated with file sharing:
    135, 137, 138, 139, and 445 .

  3. Re: Setting up a network?

    Thanks Jerry,

    I see that as a solution but I was worried that I could miss a port
    and was hoping to make it so it was a little more secure.

    Adam

    Jerry Park wrote in message news:...
    > Adam Finzel wrote:
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > I'm thinking about setting up a network to share internet with other
    > > flats in my block of flats. Heres the setup. I'm going to get a 2meg
    > > line into my flat. I know I need to setup a gateway server and plug
    > > that into a switch. My problem is that when I plug other flats into
    > > the switch they will be able to see each other. This is something I
    > > don't want to happen. Is it possible to make it so each port can only
    > > talk to the port with the gateway PC on. I have heard this is
    > > possible with a managed switch but what feature do I need to look for?
    > > I looked at ACL but I could only see filtering on IP address and I
    > > wnat to give the flats the abilityu to put in another switch to share
    > > their net connection between 2 or more pcs.
    > >
    > > Adam

    > You could turn off the ports associated with file sharing:
    > 135, 137, 138, 139, and 445 .

+ Reply to Thread