Samba and Windows XP Home - Network

This is a discussion on Samba and Windows XP Home - Network ; Hi, I've had a very hard time getting Samba to work with my XP Home machine. Before I go into the details, here is the network setup: DSL Connection going into a Netgear router (non-wireless) Server: Mandrake Linux 9.2 with ...

  1. Samba and Windows XP Home

    Hi,

    I've had a very hard time getting Samba to work with my XP Home
    machine. Before I go into the details, here is the network setup:

    DSL Connection going into a Netgear router (non-wireless)
    Server: Mandrake Linux 9.2 with Samba
    Other machine: Windows XP Home

    All network connection work. I am able to FTP to the Linux server
    from the XP Home workstation. I have a web site up and running using
    Apache on the Linux server, accessible both to the outside world and
    to my XP Home machine, i.e. we can rule out actual network problems.
    I am able to ping both machines from each other.

    Both machines get their IP addresses from the router. The router
    statically assigns 192.168.0.2 to the XP machine, and 192.168.0.3 to
    the Linux server. The router (obviously) has 192.168.0.1.

    User names and passwords are the same on both machines. Shares are set
    up on both machines, and I have checked the access rights on the Linux
    Server.

    Samba runs, and I am able to use SWAT. However, there the music stops.
    I cannot for the world configure Samba correctly. I have done
    extensive web searches on the subject, and know about the domain
    server issues with XP Home. I am lost with the rest of the
    documentation, because it is too volumenous. I figured that there
    must be just a couple of entries needed to be done in Samba to get
    this going, but what they are is lost in the overflow of information
    available on the subject.

    Symptoms: I can't see anything network related from either machine,
    i.e. the XP machine won't even show the Linux Server in the Windows
    Explorer except as an ftp site, nothing to say of getting a login
    screen or anything. I haven't yet figured out how to access the XP
    home machine from Linux, though I think that once I am on the right
    track and I can see the Linux machine on the XP machine, I can get the
    rest worked out. Samba logs reveal the the XP machine announces itself
    as "Master", and that the Linux machine thinks it is "Master" and
    therefore can't resolve the connection.

    Below is a log excerpt:

    Samba name server LINUXSERVER is now a local master browser for
    workgroup OFFICE on subnet 192.168.0.3

    *****
    [2003/11/24 20:49:35, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.crocess_local_master_announce(314)
    process_local_master_announce: Server MYXPMACHINE at IP 192.168.0.2
    is announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup OFFICE
    and we think we are master. Forcing election.
    [2003/11/24 20:49:35, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(15 4)
    *****

    Samba name server LINUXSERVER has stopped being a local master
    browser for workgroup OFFICE on subnet 192.168.0.3

    *****
    [2003/11/24 20:49:52, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(404)
    *****

    Samba name server LINUXSERVER is now a local master browser for
    workgroup OFFICE on subnet 192.168.0.3

    *****
    [2003/11/24 21:01:33, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.crocess_local_master_announce(314)
    process_local_master_announce: Server MYXPMACHINE at IP 192.168.0.2
    is announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup OFFICE
    and we think we are master. Forcing election.
    [2003/11/24 21:01:33, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(15 4)
    *****

    Samba name server LINUXSERVER has stopped being a local master
    browser for workgroup OFFICE on subnet 192.168.0.3

    *****

    End of excerpt

    Has anyone figured out the correct implementation scenario for this?
    Rather than going crazy with RTF1000M, I am hoping someone has done
    the legwork and figured this out.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Samba and Windows XP Home

    hbofinger@earthlink.net (HB) wrote in message news:...
> [...]
    >
    > Samba name server LINUXSERVER is now a local master browser for
    > workgroup OFFICE on subnet 192.168.0.3
    >
    > *****
    > [2003/11/24 21:01:33, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.crocess_local_master_announce(314)
    > process_local_master_announce: Server MYXPMACHINE at IP 192.168.0.2
    > is announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup OFFICE
    > and we think we are master. Forcing election.
    > [2003/11/24 21:01:33, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(15 4)
    > *****
    >
    > Samba name server LINUXSERVER has stopped being a local master
    > browser for workgroup OFFICE on subnet 192.168.0.3
    >
    > *****
    >
    > End of excerpt
    >
    > Has anyone figured out the correct implementation scenario for this?
    > Rather than going crazy with RTF1000M, I am hoping someone has done

    you don't need that info, that is just for the master browser.
    how does your smb.conf looks
    besides the settings you should have a section with the share name like
    [share]
    comment = my share on Mandrake
    path=/share
    browsable=yes
    read only = no

    if you edit it try
    /etc/init.d/smb restart
    /etc/init.d/nmb restart
    /etc/init.d/network restart

    from xp try \\ip_of_MD
    see if you get the shares

    disable firewall on MD

    good luck, let us know

  3. Re: Samba and Windows XP Home

    Thanks for the help. I will try this today or tomorrow. Just got back into town!

    Will follow up.

  4. Re: Samba and Windows XP Home

    hbofinger@earthlink.net (HB) wrote in message news:...
    > Thanks for the help. I will try this today or tomorrow. Just got back into town!
    >
    > Will follow up.

    If you get this to work, could you post the smb.cong file that you end
    up with? I have a very similar home network I want to set up, based on
    the Mandrake 9.2 server. I bet there are a lot us in the same boat.
    Thanks!

  5. Re: Samba and Windows XP Home

    furgalj@lakeviewtech.com (Jeff Furgal) wrote in message news:...
    > hbofinger@earthlink.net (HB) wrote in message news:...
    > > Thanks for the help. I will try this today or tomorrow. Just got back into town!
    > >
    > > Will follow up.

    > If you get this to work, could you post the smb.cong file that you end
    > up with? I have a very similar home network I want to set up, based on
    > the Mandrake 9.2 server. I bet there are a lot us in the same boat.
    > Thanks!

    I read in an acticle somewhere that Windows XP Home edition does not
    support security = user. I haven't verified this though. I have the
    same situation as above, machines will ping but that is about it.

  6. Re: Samba and Windows XP Home

    Same issue here but w/ Win XP Pro.

    post config file if works! Thanks

  7. Re: Samba and Windows XP Home

    On 7 Dec 2003 06:54:33 -0800, john_donna@sbcglobal.net (John W.)
    wrote:

    >furgalj@lakeviewtech.com (Jeff Furgal) wrote in message news:...
    >> hbofinger@earthlink.net (HB) wrote in message news:...
    >> > Thanks for the help. I will try this today or tomorrow. Just got back into town!
    >> >
    >> > Will follow up.

    >> If you get this to work, could you post the smb.cong file that you end
    >> up with? I have a very similar home network I want to set up, based on
    >> the Mandrake 9.2 server. I bet there are a lot us in the same boat.
    >> Thanks!

    >I read in an acticle somewhere that Windows XP Home edition does not
    >support security = user. I haven't verified this though. I have the
    >same situation as above, machines will ping but that is about it.

    I just added an XP Computer to my home network, in addtition to a
    couple of W98se and W2k systems. On my network I have a Linux RH 7.1
    running Samba.

    The XP machine does see and use the Samba Server. Sometimes there is
    a delay in the very first access to the server, but Microsoft website
    says that this is a feature of XP. The feature causes XP not to
    re-connect to a mapped drive automatically on startup. W98 and W2k do
    this quite nicely, but MS changed this.

    The problems that I have had connecting to Samba in the past have been
    related to the security/firewall settings on the Linux machine. I'm
    no pro on this so I will not give advice here. I just know that if
    you are using ipchains or iptables, then there can be something in
    there that will prevent a connection.

    On the XP end, I downloaded TweakUI and used it to tell the computer
    to automatically login with my user ID and password. I like my home
    computers to boot straight to the desktop.

    I guess this rambling note is just to encourage you and let you know
    that it can and will work when your security and configuration
    settings get right.

    Hudson

+ Reply to Thread