How many DHCP servers? - Network

This is a discussion on How many DHCP servers? - Network ; Hello- I, the inquirydog, have a question about networks. I intend to set up a DHCP server in many networks in the future, and am confused about one issue. If those of you with experience could help me out, I ...

  1. How many DHCP servers?

    Hello-

    I, the inquirydog, have a question about networks. I intend
    to set up a DHCP server in many networks in the future, and am
    confused about one issue. If those of you with experience could help
    me out, I would be grateful:

    How many DHCP servers should the typical network have? I know
    you can set up a network to answer to one single DHCP server, or you
    can have a separate one for each subnet. How have you or has your
    organization set up DHCP in the past? Should I choose one way over
    the other, and historically is one way more prominant than the other?
    Do most routers allow passing through DHCP broadcasts to other
    subnets? In fact, do most routers these days come with their own DHCP
    already, and can this be disabled?

    thanks
    -The Inquirydog

  2. Re: How many DHCP servers?

    inquirydog wrote:
    > Hello-
    >
    > I, the inquirydog, have a question about networks. I intend
    > to set up a DHCP server in many networks in the future, and am
    > confused about one issue. If those of you with experience could help
    > me out, I would be grateful:
    >
    > How many DHCP servers should the typical network have? I know
    > you can set up a network to answer to one single DHCP server, or you
    > can have a separate one for each subnet. How have you or has your
    > organization set up DHCP in the past? Should I choose one way over
    > the other, and historically is one way more prominant than the other?
    > Do most routers allow passing through DHCP broadcasts to other
    > subnets? In fact, do most routers these days come with their own DHCP
    > already, and can this be disabled?
    >
    > thanks
    > -The Inquirydog

    I'm not very familiar with high end routers, but the garden variaty ones
    do have a DHCP server. They generally can only address one subnet,
    generally limited to 255 addresses. Since the DHCP server can only serve
    addresses to one subnet of 255 addresses, passing through to another
    subnet seems less than useful.

    When I needed to set up a subnet at my work site, I just connected
    another router to our main network, set it to address a different
    subnet, and let its DHCP server provide those addresses.

+ Reply to Thread