newbie apache/debian network server sysadmin in need of traffic control tips - Network

This is a discussion on newbie apache/debian network server sysadmin in need of traffic control tips - Network ; I manage a 30 computer LAN. The old sysadmins left, with a bunch of automated processes running the thing. I feel a bit like one of those sci-fi thrillers where the heros realise they have been left afloat to drift ...

  1. newbie apache/debian network server sysadmin in need of traffic control tips

    I manage a 30 computer LAN. The old sysadmins left, with a bunch of
    automated processes running the thing. I feel a bit like one of those
    sci-fi thrillers where the heros realise they have been left afloat to
    drift between in the stars in a world long abandoned by the engineers.

    Most pressingly, I need to control filesharing. More broadly, I need
    to know what are the main tools at my disposal to even see what is
    going on in my network. iptraf, tcpdump, nmap, saint; obviously my
    background is a little different than what is needed for the task at
    hand.

    If anyone has any suggestions, or resources they could point me
    towards, it would be greatly appreciated. many thanks,

    -J

  2. Re: newbie apache/debian network server sysadmin in need of traffic control tips

    It really depends on why type of network you have microsoft, novell, *nix based.

    > I manage a 30 computer LAN. The old sysadmins left, with a bunch of
    > automated processes running the thing. I feel a bit like one of those
    > sci-fi thrillers where the heros realise they have been left afloat to
    > drift between in the stars in a world long abandoned by the engineers.
    >
    > Most pressingly, I need to control filesharing. More broadly, I need
    > to know what are the main tools at my disposal to even see what is
    > going on in my network. iptraf, tcpdump, nmap, saint; obviously my
    > background is a little different than what is needed for the task at
    > hand.
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions, or resources they could point me
    > towards, it would be greatly appreciated. many thanks,
    >
    > -J

  3. Re: newbie apache/debian network server sysadmin in need of traffic control tips

    awsewell@catawba.edu (Adam Sewell) wrote in message news:<95fa23a9.0311180758.770c2412@posting.google.com>...
    > It really depends on why type of network you have microsoft, novell, *nix based.
    >
    > > I manage a 30 computer LAN. The old sysadmins left, with a bunch of
    > > automated processes running the thing. I feel a bit like one of those
    > > sci-fi thrillers where the heros realise they have been left afloat to
    > > drift between in the stars in a world long abandoned by the engineers.
    > >
    > > Most pressingly, I need to control filesharing. More broadly, I need
    > > to know what are the main tools at my disposal to even see what is
    > > going on in my network. iptraf, tcpdump, nmap, saint; obviously my
    > > background is a little different than what is needed for the task at
    > > hand.
    > >
    > > If anyone has any suggestions, or resources they could point me
    > > towards, it would be greatly appreciated. many thanks,
    > >
    > > -J

    I'm sorry, I alluded to a linux server, but didn't specify it. I
    actually solved the problem in a fun way. See my other (mrfwiski) post
    for the lowdown.

+ Reply to Thread