LAN with Public IP's - Network

This is a discussion on LAN with Public IP's - Network ; My current company LAN seted up for NAT but insted of using private (non-routable)IP subnet(192.168.0.0)for internal addressing, they are using Public IP Subnet (134.1.1.0). Can this configuration cause any problems?...

  1. LAN with Public IP's

    My current company LAN seted up for NAT but insted of using private
    (non-routable)IP subnet(192.168.0.0)for internal addressing, they are
    using Public IP Subnet (134.1.1.0). Can this configuration cause any
    problems?

  2. Re: LAN with Public IP's

    zoolus@pisem.net (Slav) wrote in message news:<6c89c321.0311131845.73b09233@posting.google.com>...
    > My current company LAN seted up for NAT but insted of using private
    > (non-routable)IP subnet(192.168.0.0)for internal addressing, they are
    > using Public IP Subnet (134.1.1.0). Can this configuration cause any
    > problems?

    Provided you are NATed to a public address provided by your ISP you
    may find that you get along fine with no problems, although this is
    not recommended. Where you may experience a problem is when someone on
    your internal network needs to communicate with a host on the Internet
    which has the real 134.1.1.x address, for example if
    wwww.somewhere.com resolves to 134.1.1.x. In this case packets
    addressed to 134.1.1.x would not be forwarded over the Internet as
    your router thinks it is internal.

    Brian

+ Reply to Thread