Switch/router necessary??? - Network

This is a discussion on Switch/router necessary??? - Network ; Hi, My brother and I want to network our two computers so I can share internet access. I thought we can just get 2 ethernet cards and connect them via ethernet cables (cheaper than going wireless). But what I want ...

  1. Switch/router necessary???

    Hi,

    My brother and I want to network our two computers so I can share internet
    access. I thought we can just get 2 ethernet cards and connect them via
    ethernet cables (cheaper than going wireless). But what I want to know if I
    need to buy a switch or a router and put it between my computer and my
    brother's computer.
    BTW, I'm using WinXP while he's using WinME, and I'm using an internal ADSL
    modem on my computer to get Internet access.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Switch/router necessary???

    Bobo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My brother and I want to network our two computers so I can share internet
    > access. I thought we can just get 2 ethernet cards and connect them via
    > ethernet cables (cheaper than going wireless). But what I want to know if I
    > need to buy a switch or a router and put it between my computer and my
    > brother's computer.
    > BTW, I'm using WinXP while he's using WinME, and I'm using an internal ADSL
    > modem on my computer to get Internet access.
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you don't already have one, get a router.

+ Reply to Thread