intermittent router problem - Network

This is a discussion on intermittent router problem - Network ; Hi. I'm running a LAN with 2 comps withXP Pro 3com Home Ethernet Gateway 3C510 Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem Champaign InsightBB.com ISP and the router intermittently drops out. One or both computers can't use any internet applications. The problem ...

  1. intermittent router problem

    Hi. I'm running a LAN with

    2 comps withXP Pro
    3com Home Ethernet Gateway 3C510
    Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem
    Champaign InsightBB.com ISP

    and the router intermittently drops out. One or both computers can't
    use any internet applications. The problem is corrected by restarting
    the router or disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet cable of the
    affected computer(s). The support on 3com's website doesn't help. I
    used the router a year ago with a similar network running similar
    applications. It would need to be restarted occasionally(once a week
    or so) but now it's almost daily.

    Please reply with any suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: intermittent router problem

    postlewt@uiuc.edu (Colin) wrote in message news:<6937da34.0311120316.30b4f8e8@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi. I'm running a LAN with
    >
    > 2 comps withXP Pro
    > 3com Home Ethernet Gateway 3C510
    > Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem
    > Champaign InsightBB.com ISP
    >
    > and the router intermittently drops out. One or both computers can't
    > use any internet applications. The problem is corrected by restarting
    > the router or disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet cable of the
    > affected computer(s). The support on 3com's website doesn't help. I
    > used the router a year ago with a similar network running similar
    > applications. It would need to be restarted occasionally(once a week
    > or so) but now it's almost daily.
    >
    > Please reply with any suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.

    try only one system with no router, that will tell you if it is in
    fact the router or the connection to the internet is dropping. i had
    an issue with my provider that i could get to their side but not their
    DNS so i couldn't go to the internet at all.

    if it is a router problem look at the downloads they have for the
    router, sometimes there are newer versions of firmware that you can
    use that will fix some bugs. if there is nothing else and the router
    is the problem then you could use one system to give internet to the
    other while you get another router.

    hope this helps
    --Lehi

+ Reply to Thread