Problem with internet connection through LAN - Network

This is a discussion on Problem with internet connection through LAN - Network ; Hi, I've got a problem with our work network that is absolutely driving me mad. We've got 25 PCs on XP Pro connected to the internet via our Win 2000 Server and a ADSL router. Everything is completely fine except ...

  1. Problem with internet connection through LAN

    Hi,

    I've got a problem with our work network that is absolutely driving me mad.
    We've got 25 PCs on XP Pro connected to the internet via our Win 2000 Server
    and a ADSL router. Everything is completely fine except one PC. If i go on
    to yahoo.com, it loads up fine. But when I try to run a search, I get a 404.
    If I try to go on google, the website is not there and I get some kind of a
    'under construction' page from a company called cpanel. Same with lycos.com.

    What the hell is going on? How can I have two identical computers side by
    side, type in google.com on both and have them go to completely different
    sites? They're both going through the same equipment, both have the same
    components, and when they were installed, both were prepared using ghosted
    hard-drive images. They are, to all intents and purposes, identical.

    As I said, all 24 other PCs are fine, it's just this one.

    Very very confused.

    Thanks in advance.

    Matt

  2. Re: Problem with internet connection through LAN

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:49:31 +0000 (UTC), "James Eley & Son"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've got a problem with our work network that is absolutely driving me mad.
    >We've got 25 PCs on XP Pro connected to the internet via our Win 2000 Server
    >and a ADSL router. Everything is completely fine except one PC. If i go on
    >to yahoo.com, it loads up fine. But when I try to run a search, I get a 404.
    >If I try to go on google, the website is not there and I get some kind of a
    >'under construction' page from a company called cpanel. Same with lycos.com.
    >
    >What the hell is going on? How can I have two identical computers side by
    >side, type in google.com on both and have them go to completely different
    >sites? They're both going through the same equipment, both have the same
    >components, and when they were installed, both were prepared using ghosted
    >hard-drive images. They are, to all intents and purposes, identical.
    >
    >As I said, all 24 other PCs are fine, it's just this one.
    >
    >Very very confused.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Matt

    It sounds as if you may have a trojan or similar which is
    re-directing you search pages. Try adaware (free) it should find it.
    Be sure to update the definitions first.

    Taff..........

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: Problem with internet connection through LAN

    Thanks for the reply. With regard a trojan, we have Symantec Antivirus
    Corporate, which is updated daily, so I can't imagine it would be that...
    Unless there's a trojan out there that they don't know about...

    Matt

    "taff" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:49:31 +0000 (UTC), "James Eley & Son"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I've got a problem with our work network that is absolutely driving me

    mad.
    > >We've got 25 PCs on XP Pro connected to the internet via our Win 2000

    Server
    > >and a ADSL router. Everything is completely fine except one PC. If i go

    on
    > >to yahoo.com, it loads up fine. But when I try to run a search, I get a

    404.
    > >If I try to go on google, the website is not there and I get some kind of

    > >'under construction' page from a company called cpanel. Same with

    lycos.com.

    > >What the hell is going on? How can I have two identical computers side by
    > >side, type in google.com on both and have them go to completely different
    > >sites? They're both going through the same equipment, both have the same
    > >components, and when they were installed, both were prepared using

    ghosted
    > >hard-drive images. They are, to all intents and purposes, identical.
    > >
    > >As I said, all 24 other PCs are fine, it's just this one.
    > >
    > >Very very confused.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > >Matt
    > >

    > It sounds as if you may have a trojan or similar which is
    > re-directing you search pages. Try adaware (free) it should find it.
    > Be sure to update the definitions first.
    >
    > Taff..........
    >

    > www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  4. Re: Problem with internet connection through LAN

    hi there,
    i can solve this problem, but it seems that you can do only if you
    install new windwos on that pc from cd and do not try to goste on it
    coz i have net cafe so i have lots of problem like thesase that never
    mention in books on ms web site or anywhere els but i m facing them i
    don't know why theae all this but it is, so i think only way you can
    try to install windows from cd and remeber first delete partion and
    then make new partion and format and then install windows this hell is
    with ms, why i don;t know but some time its happen in difference way.
    regard
    Waseem Javid
    Syntex Error

  5. Re: Problem with internet connection through LAN

    "mp" wrote in message news:...
    > Thanks for the reply. With regard a trojan, we have Symantec Antivirus
    > Corporate, which is updated daily, so I can't imagine it would be that...
    > Unless there's a trojan out there that they don't know about...
    >
    > Matt
    >

    > "taff" wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:49:31 +0000 (UTC), "James Eley & Son"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi,
    > > >
    > > >I've got a problem with our work network that is absolutely driving me

    > mad.
    > > >We've got 25 PCs on XP Pro connected to the internet via our Win 2000

    > Server
    > > >and a ADSL router. Everything is completely fine except one PC. If i go

    > on
    > > >to yahoo.com, it loads up fine. But when I try to run a search, I get a

    > 404.
    > > >If I try to go on google, the website is not there and I get some kind of

    > > >'under construction' page from a company called cpanel. Same with

    > lycos.com.
    > > >
    > > >What the hell is going on? How can I have two identical computers side by
    > > >side, type in google.com on both and have them go to completely different
    > > >sites? They're both going through the same equipment, both have the same
    > > >components, and when they were installed, both were prepared using

    > ghosted
    > > >hard-drive images. They are, to all intents and purposes, identical.
    > > >
    > > >As I said, all 24 other PCs are fine, it's just this one.
    > > >
    > > >Very very confused.
    > > >
    > > >Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > >Matt
    > > >

    > > It sounds as if you may have a trojan or similar which is
    > > re-directing you search pages. Try adaware (free) it should find it.
    > > Be sure to update the definitions first.

    > > www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

    did you try reimaging it? check your tcp/ip settings make sure they
    are the same, well everything except the ip address. what are you
    using on the server, is it NAT?, proxy?, ISA? do you have any filters?
    in internet explorer, do you have under tools | internet options |
    connections | lan settings | are the settings the same as the other
    ones? let us know --Lehi

+ Reply to Thread