networking my company - Network

This is a discussion on networking my company - Network ; I was wondering if you could help me. I work for a company who operate in an office park in three buildings that are not currently connected to each other. The buildings are occupied with a total of 200 employees, ...

  1. networking my company

    I was wondering if you could help me. I work for a company who
    operate in an office park in three buildings that are not currently
    connected to each other. The buildings are occupied with a total of
    200 employees, all of whom require computers or workstations. The
    cabling closet of each building is centrally located, with no desktop
    run over 50 metres. Two of the buildings (1 and 3) are pre-wired with
    Cat 5 UTP. Building 2 requires full connectivity to the rest of the
    network but is also a Grade II listed building and so a normal wiring
    solution cannot be fully adopted internally.

    The user Requirements Analysis for this system are:

    Building 1, floor 1, 50 users - administrative,
    floor 2, 50 users Computational visualization

    Building 2 Manufacturing, 50 users

    Building 3 Research Lab, 50 users

    Expected User Growth 10% p.a.

    Interactivity Research lab users may need to access computational
    visualization facilities in real- time;

    Users will need videoconferencing between buildings

    The Research experiments that are carried out must have 100%
    reliability and the network must be able to adapt to user changes

    The company runs five applications:

    Application A Demand access to computational visualization data
    Application B Continuous backup to storage server in computational
    visualization lab
    Application C Manufacturing access to information in computational
    visualization lab
    Application D Cost databases in administrative offices
    Application E Real-time video conferencing so users don't have to
    walk between buildings

    Based on this, the following application requirements have been
    generated.

    Table 2. Application Requirements
    Application Controlled Rate Real-Time Best Effort
    A Specified (99.9%R, 600Mbps, 20ms Delay)
    B Specified (98%R, 100Mbps, 150ms delay)
    C Specified (98%R, 5Mbps)
    D 100kbps
    E Specified (95%R, 10Mbps, 40ms Delay)

    (R= reliability, Mbps = megabits per second, kbps = kilobits per
    second, ms = milliseconds)

    Table 3. Host Requirements
    Type of Host or Equipment Numbers and Location
    Workstations ALL
    Application A server Building 1 floor 2
    Application B server Building 1 floor 2
    Application C server Building 2 floor 1
    Application D server Building 1 floor 1
    10 TB Storage Building 1 floor 2

    The 10 TB storage is used by application B. Backup is only run between
    servers.

    Each user has one and only one workstation. Workstations can only
    support Ethernet or ATM network interface cards (NICs). Servers can
    support any type of interface. Each host may have multiple NICs used
    to aggregate bandwidth. The workstations have NICs with sufficient
    capacity to support the applications.

    To aggregate capacity between two sites, we can simply use multiple
    links,

    Could you help provide specifications for the computer hardware,
    workstations and servers, and the network architectures involved,
    transmission speeds, cabling changes etc.

    What assumptions shall I make?

  2. Re: networking my company

    ali34@totalise.co.uk (ali) wrote in message news:...
> [...]
    > Application B server Building 1 floor 2
    > Application C server Building 2 floor 1
    > Application D server Building 1 floor 1
    > 10 TB Storage Building 1 floor 2
    >
    > The 10 TB storage is used by application B. Backup is only run between
    > servers.
    >
    > Each user has one and only one workstation. Workstations can only
    > support Ethernet or ATM network interface cards (NICs). Servers can
    > support any type of interface. Each host may have multiple NICs used
    > to aggregate bandwidth. The workstations have NICs with sufficient
    > capacity to support the applications.
    >
    > To aggregate capacity between two sites, we can simply use multiple
    > links,
    >

    > Could you help provide specifications for the computer hardware,
    > workstations and servers, and the network architectures involved,
    > transmission speeds, cabling changes etc.

    assume that you will hire a local contractor for that job.

+ Reply to Thread