Finding domain name registration - Network

This is a discussion on Finding domain name registration - Network ; Hi all, Apologies if this is slightly off topic, but comp.internet doesn't look very active! OK, basically the problem is that a company has taken over the hosting of my mothers website. Firstly it had been offline for a while ...

  1. Finding domain name registration

    Hi all,

    Apologies if this is slightly off topic, but comp.internet doesn't
    look very active!

    OK, basically the problem is that a company has taken over the hosting
    of my mothers website. Firstly it had been offline for a while prior
    to the takeover. We then got a letter asking for 175 for a years
    hosting from this new company. This was before doing any work on the
    site, which was to be charged by the hour. Naturally I advised my Mum
    that we could do better elsewhere...

    At this time I'd checked and the domain we wanted (that she had been
    using for over a year) was available for registration. I went away and
    knocked up a simple site that would do what she needed, then went to
    register the domain, only to find the old hosting company had
    re-registered it. They've just been in touch, saying it's now their
    property but they'd transfer it for 35.

    Through all of this I've got the impression that this company is just
    out to squeeze as much money as they can from people who don't know
    much about the net. What I'd like to do is find out when the domain
    was re-registered, which I suspect was 'after' we told then we were
    going elsewhere.

    Is this kind of domain registration information available? I've tried
    a few WHOIS web-sites, but they don't seem to understand .co.uk web
    addresses very well.

    Sorry for the long post but this is starting to wind me up now, and I
    really don't want this company to get any money out of us!

    Dave

  2. Re: Finding domain name registration

    On 10 Nov 2003 07:08:32 -0800, dave@dave-carter.co.uk (Skiddy) wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Apologies if this is slightly off topic, but comp.internet doesn't
    >look very active!
    >
    >OK, basically the problem is that a company has taken over the hosting
    >of my mothers website. Firstly it had been offline for a while prior
    >to the takeover. We then got a letter asking for 175 for a years
    >hosting from this new company. This was before doing any work on the
    >site, which was to be charged by the hour. Naturally I advised my Mum
    >that we could do better elsewhere...
    >
    >At this time I'd checked and the domain we wanted (that she had been
    >using for over a year) was available for registration. I went away and
    >knocked up a simple site that would do what she needed, then went to
    >register the domain, only to find the old hosting company had
    >re-registered it. They've just been in touch, saying it's now their
    >property but they'd transfer it for 35.
    >
    >Through all of this I've got the impression that this company is just
    >out to squeeze as much money as they can from people who don't know
    >much about the net. What I'd like to do is find out when the domain
    >was re-registered, which I suspect was 'after' we told then we were
    >going elsewhere.
    >
    >Is this kind of domain registration information available? I've tried
    >a few WHOIS web-sites, but they don't seem to understand .co.uk web
    >addresses very well.
    >
    >Sorry for the long post but this is starting to wind me up now, and I
    >really don't want this company to get any money out of us!
    >
    >Dave

    Sorry to say that 35 is a reasonable fee for transfer. It has cost me
    over 100 with some companies to do this, and I am afraid that you are
    correct that some companies will try to hold onto an account by this
    method..

    Good luck, and if you need cheap hosting with unlimited email, give me
    a call.

    Taff..............

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: Finding domain name registration

    > Sorry to say that 35 is a reasonable fee for transfer. It has cost me
    > over 100 with some companies to do this, and I am afraid that you are
    > correct that some companies will try to hold onto an account by this
    > method..
    >
    > Good luck, and if you need cheap hosting with unlimited email, give me
    > a call.
    >
    > Taff..............

    Thanks for your reply. I hope I'm not taking liberties, but I could
    use a little more help on the process of registering domain names.

    In the e-mail I got from the company, they say that "The new
    certificate will be several weeks in reaching us. Upon receipt of the
    certificate we shall take the necessary action to transfer the
    domain." The only time I've registered a domain name has been though
    another company, so I've little idea what this actually means! What is
    the certificate they are talking about?

    Also at the moment they are under the impression that I'm running a
    web server myself, which I'm not. When we get the certificate
    (whatever it is) can I then pass that on to a web hosting company? I
    can get the primary and secondary DNS from the new hosting company,
    but I wouldn't have anything to point to it

    As you can see I'm on the brink of getting out of my depth, which is
    the last thing I want when dealing with these people Thanks again
    for your initial reply!

    Dave

  4. Re: Finding domain name registration

    On 11 Nov 2003 03:28:43 -0800, dave@dave-carter.co.uk (Skiddy) wrote:

    >> Sorry to say that 35 is a reasonable fee for transfer. It has cost me
    >> over 100 with some companies to do this, and I am afraid that you are
    >> correct that some companies will try to hold onto an account by this
    >> method..
    >>
    >> Good luck, and if you need cheap hosting with unlimited email, give me
    >> a call.
    >>
    >> Taff..............
    >>

    >Thanks for your reply. I hope I'm not taking liberties, but I could
    >use a little more help on the process of registering domain names.
    >
    >In the e-mail I got from the company, they say that "The new
    >certificate will be several weeks in reaching us. Upon receipt of the
    >certificate we shall take the necessary action to transfer the
    >domain." The only time I've registered a domain name has been though
    >another company, so I've little idea what this actually means! What is
    >the certificate they are talking about?
    >
    >Also at the moment they are under the impression that I'm running a
    >web server myself, which I'm not. When we get the certificate
    >(whatever it is) can I then pass that on to a web hosting company? I
    >can get the primary and secondary DNS from the new hosting company,
    >but I wouldn't have anything to point to it
    >
    >As you can see I'm on the brink of getting out of my depth, which is
    >the last thing I want when dealing with these people Thanks again
    >for your initial reply!
    >
    >Dave

    If you email me I will give you any help that I can.
    My email is on the computer workshop.com site.

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

+ Reply to Thread