enable user/password when sharing files on a network - Network

This is a discussion on enable user/password when sharing files on a network - Network ; I'm trying to enable the logon promt on my computer so that the other users in my workgroup have to type in the user/password that I've listed in permission immediately when they click on my computername in the workgroup folder. ...

  1. enable user/password when sharing files on a network

    I'm trying to enable the logon promt on my computer so that the other
    users in my workgroup have to type in the user/password that I've
    listed in permission immediately when they click on my computername in
    the workgroup folder. And then have access to all the folders and
    printers that are shared on my computer.

    I've managed to make it work once but I can't do it again (don't know
    what I did the first time)

    I've removed simple file sharing, and shared a folder d:\shared\ and
    given permission to only one username.

    When other users try to access my computer, they are not promted for
    user/password. Instead they access my computers share listing (folders
    and printers etc.) When they try to enter the folder i have shared,
    they only get access denied.

    I run winXP pro

    could need a little help on this one
    thanx

    haakon

  2. Re: enable user/password when sharing files on a network

    hi, follow the listration below

    PC1 (win xp) User name: smile Password: 123
    Shair\myfolder

    Pc2 win 9x or xp nt etc. User name: smile password: 123

    if any one enter password and user name smile then he can access files
    shaird on win xp but if any one use any other user name and password
    then he can not access shaired folder. but if on win xp there is no
    user smile with password 123 then no one can access that any shair
    reside on win xp,

    i give you some more easy words,
    if i have win xp on one computer and that computer have only one user
    name and passowrd and i shair one folder on that pc and if i try to
    access that folder from any other pc either win xp win 9x nt or wot
    ever os, i need to login using that user name and password on second
    pc that is created on win xp's pc.
    i think you can unserstand all.
    regard
    Waseem Javid