Networking with a Linskys router - Network

This is a discussion on Networking with a Linskys router - Network ; I'm a newbie to networking. I have two computers running through a Linskys router that has a four port switch. I have internet access with both the computers. I'm running WinXp Pro on both. I ran the network wizard on ...

  1. Networking with a Linskys router

    I'm a newbie to networking. I have two computers running through a
    Linskys router that has a four port switch. I have internet access
    with both the computers. I'm running WinXp Pro on both. I ran the
    network wizard on both machines but I can't share files between the
    machines. I tried running ping but it gave me a message that said
    "timed out, all data lost." Can someone tell what I'm doing wrong or
    what else I have to do?

  2. Re: Networking with a Linskys router

    nutty68@aol.com (Nutty68) wrote in message news:<840b3e65.0311081610.46461e85@posting.google.com>...
    > I'm a newbie to networking. I have two computers running through a
    > Linskys router that has a four port switch. I have internet access
    > with both the computers. I'm running WinXp Pro on both. I ran the
    > network wizard on both machines but I can't share files between the
    > machines. I tried running ping but it gave me a message that said
    > "timed out, all data lost." Can someone tell what I'm doing wrong or
    > what else I have to do?

    Since you have an internet connection available from both machines you
    should only have to enable sharing of files on the computer(s) you
    want access to. You can do this by navigating to the drive or folder
    you want to share, right-click, select Sharing and Security.

    This will open a window with a warning about the risks of sharing.
    You will need to click this message to proceed. Next you can walk
    through the sharing wizard or just click the bottom message stating
    Just enable file sharing.

    Next check the box to enable sharing on drive (or folder) then supply
    a share name. If you want to change, edit, or delete files across the
    network you can check the box to allow network users to change my
    files.

    If you go into my network places on the other computer the share
    should be listed. You can create a persistent link to the share by
    Mapping a drive. Right-click on the drive and select Map network
    drive. This will allow you to create a link to the share via a drive
    letter, ie. (F.

  3. Re: Networking with a Linskys router

    Hello every body !
    I was just wondering if some one can help me? my question is that
    I am a student of networking , this is my second year, I am ready for
    my precticum, but i wanted to do some certification before i start my
    precticum, so that way i won't have a problem to start my percticum in
    a good company. the question is that what certification should I have
    like NETWORKING PLUS or MCSE or some other.
    If some body can help me ! I'll really appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread