stop sending ARP requests - Network

This is a discussion on stop sending ARP requests - Network ; I need to hook up a laptop to monitor an Ethernet network nonintrusively - problem is, the laptop I'm using sends out ARP requests every now and then. TCP/IP is the only protocol bound to the NIC in the laptop. ...

  1. stop sending ARP requests

    I need to hook up a laptop to monitor an Ethernet network
    nonintrusively - problem is, the laptop I'm using sends out ARP
    requests every now and then. TCP/IP is the only protocol bound to the
    NIC in the laptop. How do I stop sending the ARP requests?
    Someone told me to disable DHCP, i.e. assign a static IP - but I don't
    know that the two are related - the ARP requests don't seem to be
    happening at a fixed interval of time. Please help me understand.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: stop sending ARP requests

    awesome

  3. Re: stop sending ARP requests

    philajordan@hotmail.com (pajordan) wrote in message news:<6c2677a1.0311071034.f67b0e7@posting.google.com>...
    > I need to hook up a laptop to monitor an Ethernet network
    > nonintrusively - problem is, the laptop I'm using sends out ARP
    > requests every now and then. TCP/IP is the only protocol bound to the
    > NIC in the laptop. How do I stop sending the ARP requests?
    > Someone told me to disable DHCP, i.e. assign a static IP - but I don't
    > know that the two are related - the ARP requests don't seem to be
    > happening at a fixed interval of time. Please help me understand.
    > Thanks.

    ARP is the protocol to find the mac address from the ipaddress, i
    don't think there is a way to disable it, but if you do, your network
    won't work anymore.

  4. Re: stop sending ARP requests

    hi,
    I couldn't understand your problem properly.
    That, why do you want to stop ARP ?
    ARP is used to get the MAC address of the remote machine.
    MAC address is used to transmit the packets from local Machine NICs
    to Remote Machine NICs.
    If anyhow you can stop this, you will unable to use the network.
    Why do U need to stop it ? explain ur problem clearly ?

    --
    prad
    Project nerve Engineer.

    Connecting the Connectivities.
    http://www.nerve.bravehost.com/

    lgj_nospam@yahoo.com (LGJ) wrote in message news:<91e4ba8d.0311131320.7f26f256@posting.google.com>...
    > philajordan@hotmail.com (pajordan) wrote in message news:<6c2677a1.0311071034.f67b0e7@posting.google.com>...
    > > I need to hook up a laptop to monitor an Ethernet network
    > > nonintrusively - problem is, the laptop I'm using sends out ARP
    > > requests every now and then. TCP/IP is the only protocol bound to the
    > > NIC in the laptop. How do I stop sending the ARP requests?
    > > Someone told me to disable DHCP, i.e. assign a static IP - but I don't
    > > know that the two are related - the ARP requests don't seem to be
    > > happening at a fixed interval of time. Please help me understand.
    > > Thanks.

    > ARP is the protocol to find the mac address from the ipaddress, i
    > don't think there is a way to disable it, but if you do, your network
    > won't work anymore.

  5. Re: stop sending ARP requests

    I am using network monitoring software called EtherPeek to monitor an
    Ethernet network. EtherPeek places the NIC in promiscuous mode,
    allowing all packets on the network to be intercepted. I don't want
    to be introducing any packets on the network by monitoring it; yet,
    the laptop I'm using is sending ARP requests over the network. How
    can I prevent this from happening? I don't want to "get the MAC
    address of the remote machines", nor do I want to "use the network" -
    I'm interested in monitoring traffic and intercepting packets. I hope
    this clarifies.

    dalvi_prad@yahoo.co.in (prad) wrote in message news:<405d00bb.0311150500.397700c5@posting.google.com>...
    > hi,
    > I couldn't understand your problem properly.
    > That, why do you want to stop ARP ?
    > ARP is used to get the MAC address of the remote machine.
    > MAC address is used to transmit the packets from local Machine NICs
    > to Remote Machine NICs.
    > If anyhow you can stop this, you will unable to use the network.
    > Why do U need to stop it ? explain ur problem clearly ?
    >
    > --
    > prad
    > Project nerve Engineer.
    > Object-Oriented Networking Framework.
    >
    > Connecting the Connectivities.
    > http://www.nerve.bravehost.com/
    >
    > lgj_nospam@yahoo.com (LGJ) wrote in message news:<91e4ba8d.0311131320.7f26f256@posting.google.com>...
    > > philajordan@hotmail.com (pajordan) wrote in message news:<6c2677a1.0311071034.f67b0e7@posting.google.com>...
    > > > I need to hook up a laptop to monitor an Ethernet network
    > > > nonintrusively - problem is, the laptop I'm using sends out ARP
    > > > requests every now and then. TCP/IP is the only protocol bound to the
    > > > NIC in the laptop. How do I stop sending the ARP requests?
    > > > Someone told me to disable DHCP, i.e. assign a static IP - but I don't
    > > > know that the two are related - the ARP requests don't seem to be
    > > > happening at a fixed interval of time. Please help me understand.
    > > > Thanks.

    > > ARP is the protocol to find the mac address from the ipaddress, i
    > > don't think there is a way to disable it, but if you do, your network
    > > won't work anymore.

+ Reply to Thread