two computers independently connect to the Internet via a single IP? - Network

This is a discussion on two computers independently connect to the Internet via a single IP? - Network ; Hi there, Now I connect to the Internet via the campus network. I have only one static IP for the two computers in my dorm. I wonder if there's a solution that can allow us to connect outside independently, i.e., ...

  1. two computers independently connect to the Internet via a single IP?

    Hi there,
    Now I connect to the Internet via the campus network. I have only one
    static IP for the two computers in my dorm. I wonder if there's a
    solution that can allow us to connect outside independently, i.e.,

    any computer can connect to the Internet in spite of whether
    others are using the network;

    if a computer is shut down, other computer can still connect to
    the Internet, even the power-offed computer is the proxy server.

    So I think I need to install a proxy server and a proxy agent on
    each of my computers. When one computer starts up, it will first
    look for a proxy server, if it find nothing, then it will start its
    own server. Then another computer can connect to the Internet via this
    server. When the server power off, the other computer will automatically
    know this and start _its_ server. Then when the first computer power
    on again, it can use the second server.

    What I want to know is that which existing software can do this for me,
    or there's no such software. Both of my computers are based on Window XP.

    Thanks sincerely,
    juz

  2. Re: two computers independently connect to the Internet via a single IP?

    juzejian@tsinghua.org.cn (juz) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi there,
    > Now I connect to the Internet via the campus network. I have only one
    > static IP for the two computers in my dorm. I wonder if there's a
    > solution that can allow us to connect outside independently, i.e.,
    >
    > any computer can connect to the Internet in spite of whether
    > others are using the network;
    >
    > if a computer is shut down, other computer can still connect to
    > the Internet, even the power-offed computer is the proxy server.
    >
    > So I think I need to install a proxy server and a proxy agent on
    > each of my computers. When one computer starts up, it will first
    > look for a proxy server, if it find nothing, then it will start its
    > own server. Then another computer can connect to the Internet via this
    > server. When the server power off, the other computer will automatically
    > know this and start _its_ server. Then when the first computer power
    > on again, it can use the second server.
    >
    > What I want to know is that which existing software can do this for me,
    > or there's no such software. Both of my computers are based on Window XP.
    >
    > Thanks sincerely,
    > juz

    get one of those small router-switch things with 3 ports ussually that
    has a wan connection.

+ Reply to Thread