Home pc's network not working - Network

This is a discussion on Home pc's network not working - Network ; hello friends , pls help us , we r facing a strange problem in our home pc's , we r trying to network two pcs , wer using the same model network card for the two pcs , cross over ...

  1. Home pc's network not working

    hello friends , pls help us , we r facing a strange problem in our
    home pc's , we r trying to network two pcs , wer using the same model
    network card for the two pcs , cross over cable , opretaing system in
    two pcs is windows 2000 professional , we had given the ip adress for
    one machine as 10.128.3.4 and the other one as 10.128.3.3 with same
    subnetmask 255.255.255.0.

    we checked the two cards , cross over cable everything in the office
    and is working perfectly fine. the problem is we r not able to ping
    from two pc's , whn we try to ping its showing "Request time out "

    ..One more nothing we noticed is in computer A if we go to computers
    near to me will be showing both computer A and computer B , but
    computer B 's shares cant be accessed ,

    Another thing is In computer A , In the Local Area conection status
    Sent bytes keeps on increasing , but recived will be always zero.

    In computer B , only computer B is displayed in computers near me
    ..Computer A not displayed , In the Local Area conection status in
    Computer B , both sent and recive is showing zero bytes .

    So pls tell me whts the problem with two pcs and how can i make the
    network up

  2. Re: Home pc's network not working

    kk@sitamoht.zzn.com (KK) wrote in message news:<2a792aa4.0311052118.201d4b8b@posting.google.com>...
    > hello friends , pls help us , we r facing a strange problem in our
    > home pc's , we r trying to network two pcs , wer using the same model
    > network card for the two pcs , cross over cable , opretaing system in
    > two pcs is windows 2000 professional , we had given the ip adress for
    > one machine as 10.128.3.4 and the other one as 10.128.3.3 with same
    > subnetmask 255.255.255.0.
    >
    > we checked the two cards , cross over cable everything in the office
    > and is working perfectly fine. the problem is we r not able to ping
    > from two pc's , whn we try to ping its showing "Request time out "
    >

    > .One more nothing we noticed is in computer A if we go to computers
    > near to me will be showing both computer A and computer B , but
    > computer B 's shares cant be accessed ,
    >
    > Another thing is In computer A , In the Local Area conection status
    > Sent bytes keeps on increasing , but recived will be always zero.
    >

    > In computer B , only computer B is displayed in computers near me
    > .Computer A not displayed , In the Local Area conection status in
    > Computer B , both sent and recive is showing zero bytes .
    >
    > So pls tell me whts the problem with two pcs and how can i make the
    > network up

    do you have the same username and same password on both machines? make
    sure you do if you are in a workgroup, or at lease the username and
    the same password exist on both machines.

    check the security settings and make sure that the users have access
    to the shares.

    make sure the nic both are setup to the same speed, ie 100Mbps.

    good luck, let us know.. --Lehi

  3. Re: Home pc's network not working

    kk@sitamoht.zzn.com (KK) wrote in message news:<2a792aa4.0311052118.201d4b8b@posting.google.com>...
    > hello friends , pls help us , we r facing a strange problem in our
    > home pc's , we r trying to network two pcs , wer using the same model
    > network card for the two pcs , cross over cable , opretaing system in
    > two pcs is windows 2000 professional , we had given the ip adress for
    > one machine as 10.128.3.4 and the other one as 10.128.3.3 with same
    > subnetmask 255.255.255.0.
    >
    > we checked the two cards , cross over cable everything in the office
    > and is working perfectly fine. the problem is we r not able to ping
    > from two pc's , whn we try to ping its showing "Request time out "
    >
    > .One more nothing we noticed is in computer A if we go to computers
    > near to me will be showing both computer A and computer B , but
    > computer B 's shares cant be accessed ,
    >
    > Another thing is In computer A , In the Local Area conection status
    > Sent bytes keeps on increasing , but recived will be always zero.
    >
    > In computer B , only computer B is displayed in computers near me
    > .Computer A not displayed , In the Local Area conection status in
    > Computer B , both sent and recive is showing zero bytes .
    >
    > So pls tell me whts the problem with two pcs and how can i make the
    > network up

    Check all lights on the NICs.
    You should see a LINK and ACT light, the latter will flicker.

    Next check your LAN connections Settings, Make certain both PCs HAVE
    the TCP/IP protocol loaded.

    Add to your current configuration, a default gateway that is
    10.128.3.1. It's okay to fool a PC.

    Open the CMDLine UI and type "ping 127.0.0.1" you should get replies.
    this just tests the local card.

    Now type "ipconfig /all" this will output the setting on your NIC.

    Now "ping 10.128.3.X" X=the other PC.

    Pack it all up and chuck it..

    Buy a couple of ibook with Rendevous - be set up in 1 minute flat. ; )

    Hope that helps!

    JB

    CCNA, NET+, CNA

  4. Re: Home pc's network not working

    hi lehi
    thanks for ur reply , the basic ping is not happening , its showing
    Request time out , my doubt is some harware problem with computer B ,
    is there any chance even if the network card is working , some thing
    there in mother board which will block the communication between the
    machines ?

  5. Re: Home pc's network not working

    hi
    its able to ping localhost in both the PC's , The link light is
    glowing green in two cards and activity light is also blinking in both
    cards, whn we rremove the cable in one machine , in the other machine
    "Local area conection unplugged will be shown.

    With out TCP/ip loaded , how can we giv ip address ? more we have
    reinstalled the TCP/ip protocol in two machines .

  6. Re: Home pc's network not working

    KK,

    To check the network card ping 127.0.0.1, which is the local host. If
    this ping doesn't work then your network card is broken. Check that
    it's oinstalled correctly in device manager.

    Regards

    nemo

    On 6 Nov 2003 19:28:26 -0800, kk@sitamoht.zzn.com (KK) wrote:

    >hi lehi
    > thanks for ur reply , the basic ping is not happening , its showing
    >Request time out , my doubt is some harware problem with computer B ,
    >is there any chance even if the network card is working , some thing
    >there in mother board which will block the communication between the
    >machines ?

  7. Re: Home pc's network not working

    kk

    Can you post what you get when you do ipconfig /all for both machines.

    Regards

    nemo

    On 7 Nov 2003 00:22:29 -0800, kk@sitamoht.zzn.com (KK) wrote:

    >hi
    > its able to ping localhost in both the PC's , The link light is
    >glowing green in two cards and activity light is also blinking in both
    >cards, whn we rremove the cable in one machine , in the other machine
    >"Local area conection unplugged will be shown.
    >

    >With out TCP/ip loaded , how can we giv ip address ? more we have
    >reinstalled the TCP/ip protocol in two machines .

  8. Re: Home pc's network not working

    nemo wrote in message news:...
    > kk
    >
    > Can you post what you get when you do ipconfig /all for both machines.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > nemo

    I'm really looking forward to an answer to this, as my home net is
    doing the same thing.

    The only differences I have are that my net is constucted around a
    linksys router, and shares the connection to my cable ISP through an
    SA modem. Two of the computers are running WinMe, and two are running
    Win2000. Everything worked fine until last week, when I lost two of
    the computers (which happened to be hooked into the net at the time)
    to fried motherboards, presumably as a result of last week's solar
    storm, or some other such power surge. New MB's with new onboard
    NIC's have restored the Internet connection, but not the LAN. Even
    the computers which were not hooked in at the time, and on which there
    were no changes made are affected the same way.

    I can ping the router successfully from any of the computers on the
    net, and can also ping the host as suggested above, but attempts to
    ping to other computers on the net, using the addresses returned by
    winipcfg and ipconfig produced timeouts. I replaced the router with a
    brand new D-Link DI-604, but still no success.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    TNX,

    Kirk Messinger

  9. Re: Home pc's network not working

    hello all
    let me tell u the new developments happend to my home pc's .
    computer b got two hdd's , i tried my experiments in second
    hdd(computer b) having win 2k prof.
    last day i conected the first hdd having windows xp .In that one also
    the machines r not pinging normally

    but if i open some multimedia applications (windows media player ,
    dss dj) or if i drag my mouse over the program files , we will get the
    reply from two machines .if i stop playing or close the program , thn
    "Rrquest time out from both " Its strange .

    Now my doubt is some boot sector virus which blocks the comunication
    in Computer B's two hdds. There is a chance for boot sector only
    since i installed a fresh copy of windows 2k pro and tried , still
    having communication problem .Thats the windows funda.

    Now i installed Linux 9 in second hdd(i will be conecting only one hdd
    at a time to avoid conflict and secure data in the first hdd) , with
    linux in second machine , both the pcs r in the network.

    I configured proxy plus in computer A(first one) and now able to
    browse net in two pc's.Computer having Windows 2000 pro and computerB
    redhat linux 9.

    Still have to find out whts happening with windows 2000 pro and
    windows xp in computer B and why its not communicating . may be boot
    virus , hop so , thanks for all the support buddies

  10. Re: Home pc's network not working

    kk@sitamoht.zzn.com (KK) wrote in message news:<2a792aa4.0311091942.199dd6a3@posting.google.com>...
    > hello all
    > let me tell u the new developments happend to my home pc's .
    > computer b got two hdd's , i tried my experiments in second
    > hdd(computer b) having win 2k prof.
    > last day i conected the first hdd having windows xp .In that one also
    > the machines r not pinging normally
    >
    > but if i open some multimedia applications (windows media player ,
    > dss dj) or if i drag my mouse over the program files , we will get the
    > reply from two machines .if i stop playing or close the program , thn
    > "Rrquest time out from both " Its strange .
    >
    > Now my doubt is some boot sector virus which blocks the comunication
    > in Computer B's two hdds. There is a chance for boot sector only
    > since i installed a fresh copy of windows 2k pro and tried , still
    > having communication problem .Thats the windows funda.

    did you install a firewall, some firewalls will not permit pings when
    they are in stealth mode. make sure you disable it for the tests.

    it does sound like a virus, try installing the free version of avg
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    update it and run the scanner.

    make sure you have the same subnet mask on both systems i forgot if
    you have static addresses or not, but look at it carefully. in fact
    like nemo said, if you post the result of ipconfig /all it will give
    us a better idea.

    > Still have to find out whts happening with windows 2000 pro and
    > windows xp in computer B and why its not communicating . may be boot
    > virus , hop so , thanks for all the support buddies

    let us know. --Lehi

+ Reply to Thread