Help linking two PC's via ethernet - Network

This is a discussion on Help linking two PC's via ethernet - Network ; I am networking newbie so any help would be appreciated. I am trying to connect two PC's using a Cat 5e crossover cable. The first PC has two network cards (and Windows ME) the first one for my cable modem ...

  1. Help linking two PC's via ethernet

    I am networking newbie so any help would be appreciated. I am trying to
    connect two PC's using a Cat 5e crossover cable. The first PC has two
    network cards (and Windows ME) the first one for my cable modem and the
    second to connect to the second PC (which has Windows XP). The idea being I
    want to use the fast connection to transfer data from one machine to another
    (I thought this would be better than using a parallel connection or CDR, I
    am beginning to wonder now though)

    I have run the home networking wizards and followed the instructions and I
    can now browse internet on both machines (!) but am still unable to share
    files. I have File and Print sharing enabled on both and have enabled
    sharing on the the relevant folders. All to no avail where am I going wrong?

    Thanks for your help.

    Patrick UK

  2. Re: Help linking two PC's via ethernet

    "pgnl" wrote in message news:...
    > I am networking newbie so any help would be appreciated. I am trying to
    > connect two PC's using a Cat 5e crossover cable. The first PC has two
    > network cards (and Windows ME) the first one for my cable modem and the
    > second to connect to the second PC (which has Windows XP). The idea being I
    > want to use the fast connection to transfer data from one machine to another
    > (I thought this would be better than using a parallel connection or CDR, I
    > am beginning to wonder now though)
    >
    > I have run the home networking wizards and followed the instructions and I
    > can now browse internet on both machines (!) but am still unable to share
    > files. I have File and Print sharing enabled on both and have enabled
    > sharing on the the relevant folders. All to no avail where am I going wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >

    > Patrick UK

    what exactly do you see right now? i imagine you can ping both systems
    and are using NAT so try, FROM THE XP system go to the run command and
    type

    \\192.168.0.1

    or substitute the ip with the ip of the Me system.
    that should take you to the share folders of the Me system.

    a little bit more detail will help
    good luck, let us know --Lehi

  3. Re: Help linking two PC's via ethernet

    "pgnl" wrote in message news:...
    > I am networking newbie so any help would be appreciated. I am trying to
    > connect two PC's using a Cat 5e crossover cable. The first PC has two
    > network cards (and Windows ME) the first one for my cable modem and the
    > second to connect to the second PC (which has Windows XP). The idea being I
    > want to use the fast connection to transfer data from one machine to another
    > (I thought this would be better than using a parallel connection or CDR, I
    > am beginning to wonder now though)
    >
    > I have run the home networking wizards and followed the instructions and I
    > can now browse internet on both machines (!) but am still unable to share
    > files. I have File and Print sharing enabled on both and have enabled
    > sharing on the the relevant folders. All to no avail where am I going wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    It certainly looks like everything is setup right. CHeck it again.
    Sharing the Internet connection on the 2card PC doesn't mean your
    sharing the resources on the 2Card PC.

    JB

    CCNA, NET+, CNA

  4. Re: Help linking two PC's via ethernet

    Hi Patrick,

    I just posted a msg about trying to setup a network similiar to yours. I
    just wanted to know, did you buy a router or a switch to connect the 2 PCs
    together or is it a direct connection?

    Much appreciated.

    "pgnl" wrote in message
    newsZdqb.4$1E.1@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > I am networking newbie so any help would be appreciated. I am trying to
    > connect two PC's using a Cat 5e crossover cable. The first PC has two
    > network cards (and Windows ME) the first one for my cable modem and the
    > second to connect to the second PC (which has Windows XP). The idea being

    > want to use the fast connection to transfer data from one machine to

    another
    > (I thought this would be better than using a parallel connection or CDR, I
    > am beginning to wonder now though)
    >
    > I have run the home networking wizards and followed the instructions and I
    > can now browse internet on both machines (!) but am still unable to share
    > files. I have File and Print sharing enabled on both and have enabled
    > sharing on the the relevant folders. All to no avail where am I going

    wrong?

    > Thanks for your help.
    >

    > Patrick UK

+ Reply to Thread