proactive network monitoring stratregy - Network

This is a discussion on proactive network monitoring stratregy - Network ; I have an objective to develop a "proactive monitoring strategy" for our manufacturing company. We have 20 servers, 250 workstations, 40 switches/hubs/routers, exchange, sql, ISA, IIS...... My initial thouhts are ping monitoring with notification and trending capabilities, MRTG for network ...

  1. proactive network monitoring stratregy

    I have an objective to develop a "proactive monitoring strategy" for
    our manufacturing company. We have 20 servers, 250 workstations, 40
    switches/hubs/routers, exchange, sql, ISA, IIS......

    My initial thouhts are ping monitoring with notification and trending
    capabilities, MRTG for network hardware to get usage stats an
    trending. I'd like to set up syslog to collect events from hardware
    and generate an easy to read report. Also server stats (CPU, disk
    space, mem usage) and trending are important as well as event log
    collection, maybe using MS Operations Manager.

    Any thoughts, ideas, tips, or specific products would be helpful.

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: proactive network monitoring stratregy

    colbertm@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote in
    news:fb11b19f.0311040746.50cf040e@posting.google.c om:

    > I have an objective to develop a "proactive monitoring strategy" for
    > our manufacturing company. We have 20 servers, 250 workstations, 40
    > switches/hubs/routers, exchange, sql, ISA, IIS......
    >
    > My initial thouhts are ping monitoring with notification and trending
    > capabilities, MRTG for network hardware to get usage stats an
    > trending. I'd like to set up syslog to collect events from hardware
    > and generate an easy to read report. Also server stats (CPU, disk
    > space, mem usage) and trending are important as well as event log
    > collection, maybe using MS Operations Manager.
    >
    > Any thoughts, ideas, tips, or specific products would be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    I've been using Netsaint/Nagios for a while. If you have any Linux
    knowledge, this is the way to go.

    --
    remove nospam to use email

    Casey Stamper
    mstamper@nospamwideopenwest.com

    "The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
    old Arabic saying

  3. Re: proactive network monitoring stratregy

    Try AdRem NetCrunch (www.adremsoft.com).
    Jim

    > My initial thouhts are ping monitoring with notification and trending
    > > capabilities, MRTG for network hardware to get usage stats an
    > > trending. I'd like to set up syslog to collect events from hardware
    > > and generate an easy to read report. Also server stats (CPU, disk
    > > space, mem usage) and trending are important as well as event log
    > > collection, maybe using MS Operations Manager.

+ Reply to Thread