UPS Question - Network

This is a discussion on UPS Question - Network ; Hello, Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage? If not, what does? Thanks, Jake...

  1. UPS Question

    Hello,

    Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage?

    If not, what does?

    Thanks,

    Jake

  2. Re: UPS Question

    "GitarJake" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage?
    >
    > If not, what does?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jake

    Some do, some don't.

  3. Re: UPS Question

    GitarJake schrieb am 04.11.2003 16:01:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage?

    Mine do.

    > If not, what does?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jake

    HTH ;-) \/\/erner

  4. Re: UPS Question

    You'll have to check with the manufacturer. The APC pro models that
    specifiy AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) will adjust for over/under
    voltage conditions. I've only used APC so I'm not sure of any other UPS's.

    frank

    "GitarJake" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage?
    >
    > If not, what does?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jake

  5. Re: UPS Question

    "dr_hardware" wrote in message
    news:EfPpb.49$p61.119487@news2.news.adelphia.net.. .

    > "GitarJake" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage?
    > >
    > > If not, what does?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jake
    > >

    > Some do, some don't.

    oh, ok

  6. Re: UPS Question

    ummm,

    "Werner Flamme" wrote in message
    > GitarJake schrieb am 04.11.2003 16:01:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage?

    > Mine do.
    >

    > > If not, what does?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jake
    > >

    > HTH ;-) \/\/erner

  7. Re: UPS Question

    Frank,

    Thank you for responding.

    I think I've narrowed my choices down to APC, Furman or TrimLite.

    Thanks again,

    Jake

    "Frank" wrote in message
    newsxQpb.1230$W5.241@news.randori.com...
    > You'll have to check with the manufacturer. The APC pro models that
    > specifiy AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) will adjust for over/under
    > voltage conditions. I've only used APC so I'm not sure of any other

    UPS's.

    > frank
    >

    > "GitarJake" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage?
    > >
    > > If not, what does?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jake

  8. Re: UPS Question

    "GitarJake" wrote in message

    > "dr_hardware" wrote in message
    > news:EfPpb.49$p61.119487@news2.news.adelphia.net.. .
    > >
    > > "GitarJake" wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage?
    > > >
    > > > If not, what does?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Jake
    > > >

    > > Some do, some don't.
    > >

    > oh, ok

    A true UPS will run off the batteries all the time and have a filtered,
    regulated output. These, however, are very expensive. Most less expensive
    UPS's will clean the voltage and may regulate it to some extent; you will
    have to read the specs to see what each one does and if it does what you
    want it to do.

  9. Re: UPS Question

    GitarJake schrieb am 04.11.2003 18:42:
    > ummm,
    >

    > "Werner Flamme" wrote in message
    >
    >>GitarJake schrieb am 04.11.2003 16:01:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>Does an Uninterruptible Power Supply "Regulate" voltage?

    >>Mine do.
    >>

    >>>If not, what does?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Jake
    >>>

    >>HTH ;-) \/\/erner

    *g*... thought this was an answer with exact the precision the question
    had... ;-)

    I have some cheap USVs (2 Mustek, 2 APC) and they all "regulate" the
    power - they filter high voltage and they add battery power when
    brownouts happen. One of my USVs even has a surge protection for a phone
    line... (Mustek). But of course the "filtering" may be not so accurate
    as other USVs will provide.

    I use one USV per PC, since most OS's are quite angry when they boot up
    after a power fail (brownouts happenend frequently during winter some
    years ago). I dind't suffer from brownouts since then, but I still can
    hear the warning beep from the USVs, maybe once in a week.

    HTHB ;-) \/\/erner

+ Reply to Thread