DNS problems in browser - Network

This is a discussion on DNS problems in browser - Network ; Hi NG We have a e-commerce solution running on https. For now the system is only running internally in our company. From some PC's i get an "page not found" error message when accessing the system via its hostname. When ...

  1. DNS problems in browser

    Hi NG

    We have a e-commerce solution running on https. For now the system is
    only running internally in our company.

    From some PC's i get an "page not found" error message when accessing
    the system via its hostname. When I use the IP adress there is no
    problem.

    I can easily resolve the hostname to the correct IP address using
    ping, and the problem only exists on some PC's. When I upgrade to SP4
    for Windows 2000 the problem goes away.

    One thing that I find particular interresting is that the error only
    appears when the URL points to the hostname including its parent
    domain. To be speciffic, I can easily see the page https://on-line,
    but not https://on-line.grene.dk where grene.dk is our domainname

    Kind regards
    Erik Bach-Andersen

  2. Re: DNS problems in browser

    erik.bach-andersen@grene.dk (Erik Bach-Andersen) wrote in message news:<76bc7f42.0311030319.2e072705@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi NG
    >
    > We have a e-commerce solution running on https. For now the system is
    > only running internally in our company.
    >
    > From some PC's i get an "page not found" error message when accessing
    > the system via its hostname. When I use the IP adress there is no
    > problem.
    >
    > I can easily resolve the hostname to the correct IP address using
    > ping, and the problem only exists on some PC's. When I upgrade to SP4
    > for Windows 2000 the problem goes away.
    >
    > One thing that I find particular interresting is that the error only
    > appears when the URL points to the hostname including its parent
    > domain. To be speciffic, I can easily see the page https://on-line,
    > but not https://on-line.grene.dk where grene.dk is our domainname
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Erik Bach-Andersen

    check the DNS server. on a client that does not see the server do an
    ipconfig /all and ping the DNS, then nslookup the web server and that
    should tell you where the problem is.

+ Reply to Thread