Extending a network - adding a hub off a router - Network

This is a discussion on Extending a network - adding a hub off a router - Network ; This question has probably been asked many times and the answer is simple, but I've hit my head a few too many times nodding off going back through old postings, so I'm going to ask it anyway. I have a ...

  1. Extending a network - adding a hub off a router

    This question has probably been asked many times and the answer is
    simple, but I've hit my head a few too many times nodding off going
    back through old postings, so I'm going to ask it anyway.

    I have a Linksys 8-port router connected to the internet with Rogers.
    I have 5 computers running around the house from the basement to the
    upstairs. I recently purchased a SMC 4-port hub with print server and
    installed it upstairs and plugged the cable from the router into the
    wan port of the hub. According to the Linksys paperwork, plugging
    into the 8th port of the router is also the "uplink" port and is
    "auto-sensing" so no cross-over cable required.

    After connecting all the cables I can access the internet just fine,
    and obviously all still connected to the Linksys is good. My problem
    is I cannot see the others on the network from the computer connected
    to the hub. I can ping all of the other IP's 192.168.1.??? of each
    computer connected to the router and I can ping the computer connected
    to the hub, 192.168.2.???.

    The Linksys IP is 192.168.1.1
    The SMC Hub IP is 192.168.2.1

    I have 4 computers still connected to the Linksys and all is well,
    they see each other and can share files and printers.

    I connected a laptop to the new hub upstairs and the two can see each
    other fine, play games on the internet at the same time, just perfect.
    But I have a need to share the printer connected to the upstairs
    computer and this is my problem.

    I'm sure this is a no brainer, I'm just missing a checkbox or one
    number somewhere, but any help would be greatly apprectiated.

    Yours truly,

    James V

  2. Re: Extending a network - adding a hub off a router

    "James" wrote in message
    news:b01d8b57.0311021422.7ea51646@posting.google.c om...
    I recently purchased a SMC 4-port hub with print server and
    > installed it upstairs and plugged the cable from the router into the
    > wan port of the hub.

    A hub normally does not have a WAN port. I guess you mean uplink port, which
    means the port is crossed.

    > After connecting all the cables I can access the internet just fine,

    Can you access the internet from both the 192.168.1.??? and the
    192.168.2.??? network?

    > and obviously all still connected to the Linksys is good. My problem
    > is I cannot see the others on the network from the computer connected
    > to the hub. I can ping all of the other IP's 192.168.1.??? of each
    > computer connected to the router and I can ping the computer connected
    > to the hub, 192.168.2.???.

    I don't understand why you have two subnets.
    Can you ping 192.168.2.??? from 192.168.1.??? ?
    Sounds like you treat the hub as a router.

    configure all IP adresses in the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.???) and use
    the router address a default gateway.

  3. Re: Extending a network - adding a hub off a router

    no if you can ping other pc then it mean its fuking hell with ms
    windows i can understand this problem but i know when you read this
    you say its do not have any ligic but it is the same as i m going to
    tell you.
    just install NetBIOS protocol to solve this problem and i can bet
    there is no ligic but this is only way you can solve problem.
    regard
    Waseem Javid

  4. Re: Extending a network - adding a hub off a router

    "James" wrote in message
    news:b01d8b57.0311021422.7ea51646@posting.google.c om...
    I recently purchased a SMC 4-port hub with print server and
    > installed it upstairs and plugged the cable from the router into the
    > wan port of the hub.

    A hub normally does not have a WAN port. I guess you mean uplink port, which
    means the port is crossed.

    > After connecting all the cables I can access the internet just fine,

    Can you access the internet from both the 192.168.1.??? and the
    192.168.2.??? network?

    > and obviously all still connected to the Linksys is good. My problem
    > is I cannot see the others on the network from the computer connected
    > to the hub. I can ping all of the other IP's 192.168.1.??? of each
    > computer connected to the router and I can ping the computer connected
    > to the hub, 192.168.2.???.

    I don't understand why you have two subnets.
    Can you ping 192.168.2.??? from 192.168.1.??? ?
    Sounds like you treat the hub as a router.

    configure all IP adresses in the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.???) and use
    the router address a default gateway.

  5. Re: Extending a network - adding a hub off a router

    j_voigtlander@hotmail.com (James) wrote in message news:...
    > This question has probably been asked many times and the answer is
    > simple, but I've hit my head a few too many times nodding off going
    > back through old postings, so I'm going to ask it anyway.
    >
    > I have a Linksys 8-port router connected to the internet with Rogers.
    > I have 5 computers running around the house from the basement to the
    > upstairs. I recently purchased a SMC 4-port hub with print server and
    > installed it upstairs and plugged the cable from the router into the
    > wan port of the hub. According to the Linksys paperwork, plugging
    > into the 8th port of the router is also the "uplink" port and is
    > "auto-sensing" so no cross-over cable required.
    >
    > After connecting all the cables I can access the internet just fine,
    > and obviously all still connected to the Linksys is good. My problem
    > is I cannot see the others on the network from the computer connected
    > to the hub. I can ping all of the other IP's 192.168.1.??? of each
    > computer connected to the router and I can ping the computer connected
    > to the hub, 192.168.2.???.
    >
    > The Linksys IP is 192.168.1.1
    > The SMC Hub IP is 192.168.2.1
    >
    > I have 4 computers still connected to the Linksys and all is well,
    > they see each other and can share files and printers.
    >
    > I connected a laptop to the new hub upstairs and the two can see each
    > other fine, play games on the internet at the same time, just perfect.
    > But I have a need to share the printer connected to the upstairs
    > computer and this is my problem.
    >
    > I'm sure this is a no brainer, I'm just missing a checkbox or one
    > number somewhere, but any help would be greatly apprectiated.

    Actually, This is one of those things where it's easy to get confused.
    Lets break it all down.

    Components:
    Router/8-port HUB (trust me man, it's not an 8-port router, could be a
    switch though)
    PrintServer/4port hub
    5 computers. Just curious, which OS?

    Problem, Can't share a printer on a Computer upstairs...

    hmmmmmm, there are other problems, (namely the subnet issue) but it
    could be that you haven't set up Printer sharing on that machine.
    It's easy to set up on PC and MAC platforms. (assuming you one of
    those)
    Check the Network Client settings in windows 95/98/2K/XP
    Check the Print center in MacOSX
    turn on Printer sharing in OS9.x

    In regards to those "other" problems,
    why not attach the printer directly to the printServer?
    If you have 8 ports available on the Linksys, why complicate the
    system with another hub?
    Definately keep everything on the same IP subnet. 192.168.1.XXX
    Somewhere in this system there MUST be DHCP, why no t activate it and
    make your life a breeze when you add computer #6?

    And don't install the NetBIOS protocol, it isn't necessary in a
    correctly configured IP Network.

    Oh and the last HUGE problem, your playing online games without a
    PS2?! : ) kidding.

    JB
    CCNA, NET+, CNA

+ Reply to Thread