laptop to desktop networking - Network

This is a discussion on laptop to desktop networking - Network ; Having just bought a laptop PC, I want to use the desktops printer, files, broadband, etc.... Do i just need an ethernet crossover cable as when i plug it in from lap to desk, it still results in the "Network ...

  1. laptop to desktop networking

    Having just bought a laptop PC, I want to use the desktops printer,
    files, broadband, etc.... Do i just need an ethernet crossover cable
    as when i plug it in from lap to desk, it still results in the
    "Network cable unplugged" on the ethernet connection on the taskbar.

    The other option is, could i use my modem connections on both or will
    that not be capable of doing the above?

    Having never tried anything like this before, mickey mouse
    instructions would be helpful.

  2. Re: laptop to desktop networking

    On 2 Nov 2003 13:36:31 -0800, phil.bufton@ntlworld.com (bufferz)
    wrote:

    >Having just bought a laptop PC, I want to use the desktops printer,
    >files, broadband, etc.... Do i just need an ethernet crossover cable
    >as when i plug it in from lap to desk, it still results in the
    >"Network cable unplugged" on the ethernet connection on the taskbar.
    >
    >The other option is, could i use my modem connections on both or will
    >that not be capable of doing the above?
    >
    >Having never tried anything like this before, mickey mouse
    >instructions would be helpful.

    Yes you will need a crossover cable or 2 cables and a hub.
    Also make sure that the drivers are loaded for the ethernet cards.
    How you do it depends on your operating system, but, First open
    network and dial up connections.
    you need to ensure that both machines are set to the same workgroup
    set the ip on one machine to 192.168.0.1 and the other to
    192.168.0.2
    Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
    set all other settings off.

    open add printers on the machine that does not have the printer
    attached and install the network printer which is on the main machine.
    Go to the main machine and make sure that internet connection sharing
    is enabled on the modem that you are using.

    If you have problems call back with more info, operating system etc.

    Taff..........

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: laptop to desktop networking

    You can also go wireless so the laptop doesn't have to always be connected
    to anything. After all that is the nice thing about a laptop isn't it?
    You will need a wireless router and a wireless adapter for the laptop
    (unless it came with one) (the router will connect to your nic card, your
    broadband modem will connect into the router, the wireless adapter will plug
    into your laptop) It is very easy and most router companies give good
    instructions on how to set it up.
    Here is a link to Linksys Configurator just answer the questions and it will
    show you what you will need.
    http://www.linksys.com/configurator/
    Here is a link to learn more about networking
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/
    Good luck

    "taff" wrote in message
    > On 2 Nov 2003 13:36:31 -0800, phil.bufton@ntlworld.com (bufferz)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Having just bought a laptop PC, I want to use the desktops printer,
    > >files, broadband, etc.... Do i just need an ethernet crossover cable
    > >as when i plug it in from lap to desk, it still results in the
    > >"Network cable unplugged" on the ethernet connection on the taskbar.
    > >
    > >The other option is, could i use my modem connections on both or will
    > >that not be capable of doing the above?
    > >
    > >Having never tried anything like this before, mickey mouse
    > >instructions would be helpful.

    > Yes you will need a crossover cable or 2 cables and a hub.
    > Also make sure that the drivers are loaded for the ethernet cards.
    > How you do it depends on your operating system, but, First open
    > network and dial up connections.
    > you need to ensure that both machines are set to the same workgroup
    > set the ip on one machine to 192.168.0.1 and the other to
    > 192.168.0.2
    > Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
    > set all other settings off.
    >
    > open add printers on the machine that does not have the printer
    > attached and install the network printer which is on the main machine.
    > Go to the main machine and make sure that internet connection sharing
    > is enabled on the modem that you are using.
    >
    > If you have problems call back with more info, operating system etc.
    >
    > Taff..........
    >

    > www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  4. Re: laptop to desktop networking

    The set up you have with 2 ethernet cards and a RJ45 crossover cable should
    be fine.

    Set up both cards with static IP addresses (same subnet, obviously) eg:

    192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 respectively with subnet of 255.255.255.0 for
    the sake of arguement.

    Make sure the network cards themselves do not have IP addresses configured.
    Look in device manager on each and go to the ethernet card. Go into
    properties and make sure that no IP address is specified. It could be listed
    as a 'Locally Administered Address'. Check that to 'Not Present'.

    I came across this recently where a friend was trying to do basically the
    same thing as you. Turned out that in device manager the ethernet card was
    assigned a completely different IP address to what was configured in the
    TCP/IP settings of the network connection. Obviously, one card can't have
    two addresses, so no connection was made.

    Failing that, check your cable and/or try another. Check everything's okay
    in device manager with the ethernet cards.

    Once you've checked all that, give it a ping and it should be okay. As I
    said, the stuff you've got is correct and will work.

    Matt

    "bufferz" wrote in message
    news:28f5b16c.0311021336.3c1c4117@posting.google.c om...
    > Having just bought a laptop PC, I want to use the desktops printer,
    > files, broadband, etc.... Do i just need an ethernet crossover cable
    > as when i plug it in from lap to desk, it still results in the
    > "Network cable unplugged" on the ethernet connection on the taskbar.
    >
    > The other option is, could i use my modem connections on both or will
    > that not be capable of doing the above?
    >
    > Having never tried anything like this before, mickey mouse
    > instructions would be helpful.

  5. Re: laptop to desktop networking

    phil.bufton@ntlworld.com (bufferz) wrote in message news:<28f5b16c.0311021336.3c1c4117@posting.google.com>...
    > Having just bought a laptop PC, I want to use the desktops printer,
    > files, broadband, etc.... Do i just need an ethernet crossover cable
    > as when i plug it in from lap to desk, it still results in the
    > "Network cable unplugged" on the ethernet connection on the taskbar.
    >
    > The other option is, could i use my modem connections on both or will
    > that not be capable of doing the above?
    >
    > Having never tried anything like this before, mickey mouse
    > instructions would be helpful.

    if you get cable unplugged with a cross over it is probably bad cable,
    try re-crimping it, if you made it, or get another cable.

+ Reply to Thread