Home Netwrok help please. - Network

This is a discussion on Home Netwrok help please. - Network ; Hi All, I am trying to set up a home network. Here's the setup I currently have. ADSL Router --} 5 Port Ethernet Switch --} 2 PC's running Win XP. I have setup IP address's for each computer and can ...

  1. Home Netwrok help please.

    Hi All, I am trying to set up a home network. Here's the setup I
    currently have. ADSL Router --} 5 Port Ethernet Switch --} 2 PC's
    running Win XP.

    I have setup IP address's for each computer and can connect to the net
    on each no problem. I can't figure out how to make the computers talk
    to each other (for file and printer sharing). If I run the network
    setup wizard the IP address's get taken out and I lose internet
    connection.

    I have each computer named, and have my main workgroup named. When in
    windows explorer one computer can see itself only in My netwrok
    places, the other can not. When i click on start > my network places,
    there are no networks there.

    I did some reading on the windows website and found this:

    "For file and printer sharing using this configuration(router and
    ethernet hub), it is recommended that you install a network protocol
    that is not used on the Internet, such as IPX/SPX, and disable file
    and print sharing on TCP/IP."

    I'm getting a little out of my depth here... should i be using this
    IPX protocol?

    The frustrating thing is I know this can work as it used to when I had
    my old laptop connected to this network.

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

  2. Re: Home Netwrok help please.

    Clark wrote:
    > Hi All, I am trying to set up a home network. Here's the setup I
    > currently have. ADSL Router --} 5 Port Ethernet Switch --} 2 PC's
    > running Win XP.
    >
    > I have setup IP address's for each computer and can connect to the net
    > on each no problem. I can't figure out how to make the computers talk
    > to each other (for file and printer sharing). If I run the network
    > setup wizard the IP address's get taken out and I lose internet
    > connection.
    >
    > I have each computer named, and have my main workgroup named. When in
    > windows explorer one computer can see itself only in My netwrok
    > places, the other can not. When i click on start > my network places,
    > there are no networks there.
    >
    > I did some reading on the windows website and found this:
    >
    > "For file and printer sharing using this configuration(router and
    > ethernet hub), it is recommended that you install a network protocol
    > that is not used on the Internet, such as IPX/SPX, and disable file
    > and print sharing on TCP/IP."
    >
    > I'm getting a little out of my depth here... should i be using this
    > IPX protocol?
    >
    > The frustrating thing is I know this can work as it used to when I had
    > my old laptop connected to this network.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.

    You have each computer set to the same workgroup?
    Each has a address in the same subnet (e.g: 192.168.0.x)?
    Can you ping each computer from the other?
    If not, can you ping each computer by IP address?

    If you open windows explorer and type \\computername in the location
    bar, can you connect?

    If not, can you connect to \\ipaddress ?

  3. Re: Home Netwrok help please.

    Don't know if this is the problem, but have you setup a user name and
    password on PC1 that you use to log onto PC2 and vice-versa; if not
    then you need to do so.

    Reagrds

    nemo

    On 31 Oct 2003 10:36:48 -0800, oscarhootie@yahoo.com (Clark) wrote:

    >Hi All, I am trying to set up a home network. Here's the setup I
    >currently have. ADSL Router --} 5 Port Ethernet Switch --} 2 PC's
    >running Win XP.
    >
    >I have setup IP address's for each computer and can connect to the net
    >on each no problem. I can't figure out how to make the computers talk
    >to each other (for file and printer sharing). If I run the network
    >setup wizard the IP address's get taken out and I lose internet
    >connection.
    >
    >I have each computer named, and have my main workgroup named. When in
    >windows explorer one computer can see itself only in My netwrok
    >places, the other can not. When i click on start > my network places,
    >there are no networks there.
    >
    >I did some reading on the windows website and found this:
    >
    >"For file and printer sharing using this configuration(router and
    >ethernet hub), it is recommended that you install a network protocol
    >that is not used on the Internet, such as IPX/SPX, and disable file
    >and print sharing on TCP/IP."
    >
    >I'm getting a little out of my depth here... should i be using this
    >IPX protocol?
    >
    >The frustrating thing is I know this can work as it used to when I had
    >my old laptop connected to this network.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any advice.

  4. Re: Home Netwrok help please.

    I am having a remarkably similar problem with a home network I set up
    for a friend.

    I have a network at home, with Linux and WinNT, and a cable/DSL
    router. Everything just worked. At her house, she has two PCs with
    WinXP. Another twist is that she has AOL over broadband. I believe
    this has its own collection of funky side-effects, but I cannot figure
    out how or why.

    Each machine has a DHCP assigned address of 192.168.0.x, where x in
    (100, 101) for the two machines. Both have the same workgroup. The
    netmasks are 255.255.255.0. AND, both machines can reach out and
    touch the Internet (get web pages, ping www.w3c.org, etc.) BUT ONLY
    when AOL is connected. This has me very suspicious --- I use a "real"
    ISP at my house, and as long as the router is "up," I can see the
    Internet regardless.

    Neither machine can ping the other, regardless of wehther AOL is up or
    down, so of course, traveling about the net'hood is simply out of the
    question.

    As I understand TCP/IP, since both machines have the same (address
    Bitwise-AND netmask) values, they should just see one another over the
    Linksys box, magically. Since they can both get out over the
    Internet, then the Linksys box must work. "Behind" its firewall, as I
    understand it, there is a conceptual ethernet hub connecting the
    machines on the "inside" (home) ethernet jacks. So I'm completely
    bedeviled over what to look for.

    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

    Cheers!
    Jerry Oberle
    perl -e 'printf "%silto%c%coberle%cearthlink%cnet%c", "ma", 58, 103,
    64, 46, 10;'

  5. Re: Home Netwrok help please.

    > You have each computer set to the same workgroup?

    Yes

    > Each has a address in the same subnet (e.g: 192.168.0.x)?

    Yes

    > Can you ping each computer from the other?

    No

    > If not, can you ping each computer by IP address?

    No

    > If you open windows explorer and type \\computername in the location
    > bar, can you connect?
    >
    > If not, can you connect to \\ipaddress ?

    No :-(

    Thanks for your input.

  6. Re: Home Netwrok help please.

    Clark wrote:
    >>You have each computer set to the same workgroup?

    > Yes
    >

    >>Each has a address in the same subnet (e.g: 192.168.0.x)?

    > Yes
    >

    >>Can you ping each computer from the other?

    > No
    >

    >>If not, can you ping each computer by IP address?

    > No
    >

    >>If you open windows explorer and type \\computername in the location
    >>bar, can you connect?
    >>
    >>If not, can you connect to \\ipaddress ?

    > No :-(
    >
    > Thanks for your input.

    You may not have netbios enabled over TCP/IP.

    Start|Connection to|Show all connections
    Right click on the connection and choose Properties from the pop up list
    Select 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'
    Click the 'Properties' button

    Since you have an ADSL router and a switch, you are probably obtaining
    an IP address automatically and also obtaining a DNS server address
    automatically. Its OK if you are using a static address too.

    Click the 'Advanced' button
    Click the 'WINS' tab
    Generally, it is sufficient to use the Default NetBios setting, but if
    that is not working, select the 'Enable NetBios over TCP/IP' radio button.

    That should allow each computer to show up in the Network Neighborhood.

  7. Re: Home Netwrok help please.

    nemo wrote:
    > Don't know if this is the problem, but have you setup a user name and
    > password on PC1 that you use to log onto PC2 and vice-versa; if not
    > then you need to do so.

    He should still be able to ping them though.

  8. Re: Home Netwrok help please.

    Renegade wrote in message news:...
    > He should still be able to ping them though.

    Agreed. Both the original poster and I are experiencing problems
    pinging the other machine. These are independent of Windows file and
    print sharing, etc. and need to be resolved first.

    I don't know what ISP the original poster is using. In my case, my
    friend is using AOL (MUCH to my chagrin) over DSL. I have been able
    to discover, by reading the documentation on a competing ADSL router
    (NetGear's) that AOL employs L2TP ("Layer Two Tunneling Protocol").
    Other than knowing the name, this is a bit beyond me. But I am
    guessing that "Layer Two" refers to the network layer just above the
    physical layer, that is, the ethernet cabling itself. If this is a
    correct guess, all traffic at the ping (ICMP) level, as well as all
    file and print sharing and other "normal" TCP/IP stuff might be going
    out to AOL, or to nowhere, in either case, ending up in a packet black
    hole.

    So, to the original poster: Who is your ISP? Do you know if it uses
    L2TP? If it looks like you have a completely different problem, I'll
    start a new thread.

    To any other interested parties: Any ideas how to circumvent L2TP
    under XP? And is this a good guess?

    Cheers!
    Jerry Oberle
    perl -e 'printf "%silto%c%coberle%cearthlink%cnet%c", "ma", 58, 103,
    64, 46, 10;'

+ Reply to Thread