Network linked to DSL - Network

This is a discussion on Network linked to DSL - Network ; Hope someone can help... I live with 6 others and all our computers are linked via my Netgear FS116 Switch. Recently we got 1MB ADSL into the house and I'm using a PTI PAE-CE81 Modem/Router to connect. When I remove ...

  1. Network linked to DSL

    Hope someone can help...

    I live with 6 others and all our computers are linked via my Netgear
    FS116 Switch. Recently we got 1MB ADSL into the house and I'm using a
    PTI PAE-CE81 Modem/Router to connect. When I remove everyone from the
    network and download or browse I get super speeds, at least 110KB/sec,
    more on a good server (downloading 10mb in 1 and half mins).

    However, 3 others in the house also download a lot (using DC,
    BitTorrent, Kazaa, etc) and when all 4 of us are on it REALLY kills it
    dead.

    Is there any way to maybe balance the load, or do something to speed
    things up which wont cost a sh1t load in hardware??

    Any help appreciated
    Chuey

  2. Re: Network linked to DSL

    Not really much to do, in my opinion. If you've downloaded a lot on your P2P
    software, that means you have a lot of files to share, so you're going to be
    getting plenty of people plundering your hard drives for your files. Best
    solution is probably to limit the upload bandwidth (which I know you can do
    in Kazaa, not sure about others). How about un-sharing your files? Goes
    against the spirit of filesharing, but it'll free up some bandwidth.

    I don't know of a simple and cheap way to allocate bandwidth, and I'm
    guessing that when you're all downloading, you are using the full bandwidth
    of your line and there's no technical issues.

    One thing you could do, though... Get everyone up and running so that your
    connections hit snail's pace. Take a look at the lights on your ethernet
    cards. If you permanantly have both lights on, you could have some collision
    issues which might be slowing you down, which would indicate a possible
    problem with your cabling.

    Matt

    "Chuey" wrote in message
    news:528b8523.0310310527.43dccab4@posting.google.c om...
    > Hope someone can help...
    >
    > I live with 6 others and all our computers are linked via my Netgear
    > FS116 Switch. Recently we got 1MB ADSL into the house and I'm using a
    > PTI PAE-CE81 Modem/Router to connect. When I remove everyone from the
    > network and download or browse I get super speeds, at least 110KB/sec,
    > more on a good server (downloading 10mb in 1 and half mins).
    >
    > However, 3 others in the house also download a lot (using DC,
    > BitTorrent, Kazaa, etc) and when all 4 of us are on it REALLY kills it
    > dead.
    >
    > Is there any way to maybe balance the load, or do something to speed
    > things up which wont cost a sh1t load in hardware??
    >
    > Any help appreciated
    > Chuey

+ Reply to Thread