actiontec dsl with xp problem - Network

This is a discussion on actiontec dsl with xp problem - Network ; I have two machines, one running 98SE, the other XP. I have an Actiontec DSL modem. When I have both machines connected to the Actiontec, everything works fine. But if I disconnect the 98SE from the modem, the XP machine ...

  1. actiontec dsl with xp problem

    I have two machines, one running 98SE, the other XP. I have an
    Actiontec DSL modem. When I have both machines connected to the
    Actiontec, everything works fine. But if I disconnect the 98SE from
    the modem, the XP machine reports that its cable is unplugged too!

    I've tried a different NIC card in the XP and different ethernet
    cables and using different ports for the cables all around and I've
    uploaded new firmware into the actiontec to no avail. The 98SE
    machine works fine plugged in by itself.

    How can I get the XP machine to connect to the Actiontec without the
    98SE machine plugged in too? (I want to get rid of the 98SE). I've
    stumped my ISP tech.

  2. Re: actiontec dsl with xp problem

    grip@cybercrossings.com (Grip) wrote in message news:...
    > I have two machines, one running 98SE, the other XP. I have an
    > Actiontec DSL modem. When I have both machines connected to the
    > Actiontec, everything works fine. But if I disconnect the 98SE from
    > the modem, the XP machine reports that its cable is unplugged too!
    >
    > I've tried a different NIC card in the XP and different ethernet
    > cables and using different ports for the cables all around and I've
    > uploaded new firmware into the actiontec to no avail. The 98SE
    > machine works fine plugged in by itself.
    >
    > How can I get the XP machine to connect to the Actiontec without the
    > 98SE machine plugged in too? (I want to get rid of the 98SE). I've
    > stumped my ISP tech.

    you most likely have a defective switch.

+ Reply to Thread