Router Help - Network

This is a discussion on Router Help - Network ; I have a high speed cable connection that comes into my home through a Motorola SB4200 SURFboard Cable Modem. From there I have a Netgear MR314 wireless router\switch. This setup has been in my home for almost a year and ...

  1. Router Help

    I have a high speed cable connection that comes into my home through a
    Motorola SB4200 SURFboard Cable Modem. From there I have a Netgear
    MR314 wireless router\switch. This setup has been in my home for
    almost a year and two days ago I suddenly had no internet connection
    on any of my computers (one connected directly to the router, the
    other two connected through 802.11). I called my ISP and they had me
    bypass the router. When I did that, I had my internet connection back
    and all seemed good. They suggested that I contact my router
    manufacturer (Netgear). When I got the Netgear tech on the phone, he
    had me put in manual DNS numbers in my computers and suddenly my
    internet connection was working through my router again. I've had all
    the computers set to automatically detect IP and DNS automatically and
    it has worked flawlessly for 10 months. This would normally not be a
    big deal except that now if I want to use my work computer on my home
    network it looks like I'll have to manually enter the DNS information
    each time. I've made no firmware upgrades lately, and installed no new
    software that would explain the change. The Netgear tech said that
    something has changed such that the router is no longer getting DNS
    information from the modem, but my ISP swears nothing has changed
    regarding their DNS. The ISP rep said she has encountered this problem
    with netgear and d-link routers quite a lot, and suggested that nearly
    all owners of those brand routers must manually enter their DNS
    information. She says their experience is that the only routers that
    get the DNS information automatically from the modem are the Linksys
    models. Honestly...I smell a rat somewhere here. SOMETHING had to
    change for this to happen. The ISP's only reply was that "something on
    the computer may have changed". This setup has worked flawlessly for
    almost a year and now that fact that NONE of the computers on my
    network see the internet means the problem is either in the router or
    the DNS information coming in. Either I have a router that has
    developed a problem such that it can no longer resolve DNS information
    (which I doubt) or else my service provider has made a change in their
    DNS setup and is not being straight up with me (which is far more
    likely I think). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can pin
    someone down on this? I'd like to get around the "he said - she said"
    BS that I'm currently dealing with.
    Thanks,
    TK

  2. Re: Router Help

    Have you tried entering theDNS address's of your isp manually into
    your router?

    Regards

    nemo

    On 29 Oct 2003 20:14:05 -0800, neuropel@yahoo.com (Neuropel) wrote:

    >I have a high speed cable connection that comes into my home through a
    >Motorola SB4200 SURFboard Cable Modem. From there I have a Netgear
    >MR314 wireless router\switch. This setup has been in my home for
    >almost a year and two days ago I suddenly had no internet connection
    >on any of my computers (one connected directly to the router, the
    >other two connected through 802.11). I called my ISP and they had me
    >bypass the router. When I did that, I had my internet connection back
    >and all seemed good. They suggested that I contact my router
    >manufacturer (Netgear). When I got the Netgear tech on the phone, he
    >had me put in manual DNS numbers in my computers and suddenly my
    >internet connection was working through my router again. I've had all
    >the computers set to automatically detect IP and DNS automatically and
    >it has worked flawlessly for 10 months. This would normally not be a
    >big deal except that now if I want to use my work computer on my home
    >network it looks like I'll have to manually enter the DNS information
    >each time. I've made no firmware upgrades lately, and installed no new
    >software that would explain the change. The Netgear tech said that
    >something has changed such that the router is no longer getting DNS
    >information from the modem, but my ISP swears nothing has changed
    >regarding their DNS. The ISP rep said she has encountered this problem
    >with netgear and d-link routers quite a lot, and suggested that nearly
    >all owners of those brand routers must manually enter their DNS
    >information. She says their experience is that the only routers that
    >get the DNS information automatically from the modem are the Linksys
    >models. Honestly...I smell a rat somewhere here. SOMETHING had to
    >change for this to happen. The ISP's only reply was that "something on
    >the computer may have changed". This setup has worked flawlessly for
    >almost a year and now that fact that NONE of the computers on my
    >network see the internet means the problem is either in the router or
    >the DNS information coming in. Either I have a router that has
    >developed a problem such that it can no longer resolve DNS information
    >(which I doubt) or else my service provider has made a change in their
    >DNS setup and is not being straight up with me (which is far more
    >likely I think). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can pin
    >someone down on this? I'd like to get around the "he said - she said"
    >BS that I'm currently dealing with.
    >Thanks,
    >TK

+ Reply to Thread