Training Camps? - Network

This is a discussion on Training Camps? - Network ; I've feel stuck in a tech support position where i thought i would get training but my boss lied. He was the only person on the Job when he said there were 3 others. So i've decided to go to ...

  1. Training Camps?

    I've feel stuck in a tech support position where i thought i would get
    training but my boss lied. He was the only person on the Job when he
    said there were 3 others. So i've decided to go to a training camp to
    get Network+ and MCP in 2000 server. I have no prior experience in
    networking. My hope was that i would learn enough to land me a job.
    the course in in Dec. It is a total of 6 days--3 for each cert.
    Please give me your ideas. I've been stuck on this job for 3 going on
    4 yrs and to have degree and not getting paid is depressing. To me
    this represents hope that i can one day move on to better positions,
    experience, and pay.

    thanks. I appreciate any advice you have to offer. My only fear is
    going to the camp and not learning enough or forgetting what i learn
    and not being able to get a job.

  2. Re: Training Camps?

    Hi,

    I've never been a fan of training camps myself. I find that they just cram
    your brain with info to get you to pass the exams, but because of the nature
    of the learning, you really struggle to apply it to 'real world' scenarios.
    That's just my personal preference though. I'm sure it can work for a lot of
    people!

    A good alternative to training camps is CBT. You get a load of videos of
    instructor led classes, and you go through them at your leisure. It's kind
    of like having a training camp where you can pause and rewind the lecture if
    you need to go back over something. It's also very good for use as a
    reference guide for future use.

    Head over to CBTnuggets.com. Their discs are really good, and are extremely
    cheap for what they are. I recently got the MCSE 2000 set, and have found
    them interesting and fun to use. As good as any class I've ever taken, but
    as I said, you also have the added bonus of being able to take them at your
    own pace.

    As for career progression, I'm kind of in the same position as you. I've
    been stuck here as a Network Administrator for a small(ish) firm (35 users)
    for the last 4 years. I'm currently studying for my MCSE 2000, and I'm also
    planning on taking the Cisco certs too, as well as a few others. The way I
    see it (correct me if I'm wrong people!), you have to have a very broad
    range of abilities to get noticed nowadays. Just being a MCSE isn't enough.
    You need network knowledge, Win 2000, Win 2k Pro, Win XP, Linux, Exchange,
    SQL, security, CISCO, Oracle, Citrix etc etc etc.

    I'm hoping that in the next year I'll have my MCSE and CCIE. I'm working on
    getting experience in SQL and I'm going to delve into the mysterious world
    of VB and C#. Hopefully that should give me the skills I need to move out of
    my current dead-end job...

    Good luck with everything. I hope it all goes well for you. I know it may
    seem daunting when you think of all the stuff you've got to learn before you
    can progress, but once you get into it, it's not so bad!

    All the best

    Matt

    "jacob" wrote in message
    news:84edf6ee.0310291253.28a8be19@posting.google.c om...
    > I've feel stuck in a tech support position where i thought i would get
    > training but my boss lied. He was the only person on the Job when he
    > said there were 3 others. So i've decided to go to a training camp to
    > get Network+ and MCP in 2000 server. I have no prior experience in
    > networking. My hope was that i would learn enough to land me a job.
    > the course in in Dec. It is a total of 6 days--3 for each cert.
    > Please give me your ideas. I've been stuck on this job for 3 going on
    > 4 yrs and to have degree and not getting paid is depressing. To me
    > this represents hope that i can one day move on to better positions,
    > experience, and pay.
    >
    > thanks. I appreciate any advice you have to offer. My only fear is
    > going to the camp and not learning enough or forgetting what i learn
    > and not being able to get a job.

+ Reply to Thread