Wireless Internet Sharing - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless Internet Sharing - Network ; A little while ago I experimented with 7 wireless cards and 7 laptops. All laptops were XP. I connected one of the laptops (Master) to the internet via a 56K modem. I then was able to create a simple network ...

  1. Wireless Internet Sharing

    A little while ago I experimented with 7 wireless cards and 7 laptops. All
    laptops were XP. I connected one of the laptops (Master) to the internet via
    a 56K modem. I then was able to create a simple network without using TCP/IP
    I just ensured that they were all in the same workgroup. On Master I ensured
    that I allowed other computers to connect through Master to get to the net.
    It worked brilliantly (OK a little slow, but otherwise fine), all 7 laptops
    could surf the net quite happily.

    I am now repeating this experiment except I have now allocated each laptop
    an IP address of 10.10.10.1/2/3 etc. with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    Once again all machines see each other, except I am not able to access the
    Internet from any other machine except Master. Internet sharing is on, and
    all machines see the internet connection, but Internet explorer fails to
    resolve a page.

    What am I missing???

    Still a novice, but experimenting to learn!!

  2. Re: Wireless Internet Sharing

    You are using TCP/IP because you have IP addresses. Something is not
    set up right with your internet sharing program, I suggest using a
    program such as Kerio WinRoute Pro to do this instead.

    "13" wrote in message news:...
    > A little while ago I experimented with 7 wireless cards and 7 laptops. All
    > laptops were XP. I connected one of the laptops (Master) to the internet via
    > a 56K modem. I then was able to create a simple network without using TCP/IP
    > I just ensured that they were all in the same workgroup. On Master I ensured
    > that I allowed other computers to connect through Master to get to the net.
    > It worked brilliantly (OK a little slow, but otherwise fine), all 7 laptops
    > could surf the net quite happily.
    >
    > I am now repeating this experiment except I have now allocated each laptop
    > an IP address of 10.10.10.1/2/3 etc. with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    > Once again all machines see each other, except I am not able to access the
    > Internet from any other machine except Master. Internet sharing is on, and
    > all machines see the internet connection, but Internet explorer fails to
    > resolve a page.
    >
    > What am I missing???
    >
    > Still a novice, but experimenting to learn!!

  3. Re: Wireless Internet Sharing

    Have you set up a gateway address, pointing to the PC with internet
    access

    Regards.

    nemo

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:21:42 -0000, "13"
    wrote:

    >A little while ago I experimented with 7 wireless cards and 7 laptops. All
    >laptops were XP. I connected one of the laptops (Master) to the internet via
    >a 56K modem. I then was able to create a simple network without using TCP/IP
    >I just ensured that they were all in the same workgroup. On Master I ensured
    >that I allowed other computers to connect through Master to get to the net.
    >It worked brilliantly (OK a little slow, but otherwise fine), all 7 laptops
    >could surf the net quite happily.
    >
    >I am now repeating this experiment except I have now allocated each laptop
    >an IP address of 10.10.10.1/2/3 etc. with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    >Once again all machines see each other, except I am not able to access the
    >Internet from any other machine except Master. Internet sharing is on, and
    >all machines see the internet connection, but Internet explorer fails to
    >resolve a page.
    >
    >What am I missing???
    >
    >Still a novice, but experimenting to learn!!

  4. Re: Wireless Internet Sharing

    Hi,

    you started off correctly, but what you need is NAT. NAT is a software tool
    that allows you to connect several computers to Internet using single IP
    address. Only computers with public IP addresses can access Internet.

    When you connect to Internet over phone line, your ISP assigns you one IP
    address. This is where Network Address Translation comes in place. It allows
    your other computers to access the Internet. Never mind the how, just type
    NAT in you search page and you'll find lots of info.

    To enable NAT, switch on the Internet connection sharing on computer with
    modem. There should be option somewhere in connection properties. ICS is
    Microsoft's name for NAT. When you switch it on, it will assign private IP
    address 192.168.0.1 to your computer (with modem). Put all other Laptops in
    the same address space (192.168.0.2-254). This should do the trick.

    There is also option for XP to create a floppy disk with installation, which
    you should perform on all other computers in LAN

    Regards, Nikola.

    "13" wrote in message
    > A little while ago I experimented with 7 wireless cards and 7 laptops. All
    > laptops were XP. I connected one of the laptops (Master) to the internet

    via
    > a 56K modem. I then was able to create a simple network without using

    TCP/IP
    > I just ensured that they were all in the same workgroup. On Master I

    ensured
    > that I allowed other computers to connect through Master to get to the

    net.
    > It worked brilliantly (OK a little slow, but otherwise fine), all 7

    laptops
    > could surf the net quite happily.
    >
    > I am now repeating this experiment except I have now allocated each laptop
    > an IP address of 10.10.10.1/2/3 etc. with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    > Once again all machines see each other, except I am not able to access the
    > Internet from any other machine except Master. Internet sharing is on, and
    > all machines see the internet connection, but Internet explorer fails to
    > resolve a page.
    >
    > What am I missing???
    >
    > Still a novice, but experimenting to learn!!

  5. Re: Wireless Internet Sharing

    "13" wrote in message news:...
    > A little while ago I experimented with 7 wireless cards and 7 laptops. All
    > laptops were XP. I connected one of the laptops (Master) to the internet via
    > a 56K modem. I then was able to create a simple network without using TCP/IP
    > I just ensured that they were all in the same workgroup. On Master I ensured
    > that I allowed other computers to connect through Master to get to the net.
    > It worked brilliantly (OK a little slow, but otherwise fine), all 7 laptops
    > could surf the net quite happily.
    >
    > I am now repeating this experiment except I have now allocated each laptop
    > an IP address of 10.10.10.1/2/3 etc. with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    > Once again all machines see each other, except I am not able to access the
    > Internet from any other machine except Master. Internet sharing is on, and
    > all machines see the internet connection, but Internet explorer fails to
    > resolve a page.
    >
    > What am I missing???
    >
    > Still a novice, but experimenting to learn!!

    not resolving is most likely link to DNS, try ipconfig /all and see if
    you can get and ping the DNS server you are getting.

    maybe the option to share the network has been disabled.

    let us know

+ Reply to Thread