Connect to pc's together : one with win98 & one with win2000 - networkgaming - Network

This is a discussion on Connect to pc's together : one with win98 & one with win2000 - networkgaming - Network ; hi, I would like to have the right settings (an easy walkthrough procedure)to link two pc's together for networkgaming. I played last week-end with other computers on a mini-lan party but one of us had a bit more knowledge on ...

  1. Connect to pc's together : one with win98 & one with win2000 - networkgaming

    hi,

    I would like to have the right settings (an easy walkthrough
    procedure)to link two pc's together for networkgaming.
    I played last week-end with other computers on a mini-lan party but
    one of us had a bit more knowledge on the matter which I lack
    unfortunately.

    Firstly, I desactivate my firewal (Norton)
    1.
    I created new work groups(CHELLO) and named it (win2000)PC3 & PC4
    (98)and when I click on the network, I can only see my pc(win2000)
    "PC3" and the same (pc4)on the other computer.
    2.
    I checked the cable(it works, as I use for another use daily), the NIC
    cards (Realtek) have the light lit at the back = ok
    3.
    I check the Microsoft Windows Netw = it's sending but not receiving
    4.We use the TCP/IP protocol, we don't use a hub.

    As I am the office, I can only give you a brief troubleshooting, so If
    you can help me, drop a post in either English, French or Dutch, a
    link it would be very helpfull as I would like to start playing after
    two late night trying to figure this problem.

    Thanks again,

    Niaxous

  2. Re: Connect to pc's together : one with win98 & one with win2000 - networkgaming

    niaxous@hotmail.com (niaxous) wrote in message news:<24a30e32.0310280310.2ebe45d7@posting.google.com>...
    > hi,
    >
    > I would like to have the right settings (an easy walkthrough
    > procedure)to link two pc's together for networkgaming.
    > I played last week-end with other computers on a mini-lan party but
    > one of us had a bit more knowledge on the matter which I lack
    > unfortunately.
    >
    > Firstly, I desactivate my firewal (Norton)
    > 1.
    > I created new work groups(CHELLO) and named it (win2000)PC3 & PC4
    > (98)and when I click on the network, I can only see my pc(win2000)
    > "PC3" and the same (pc4)on the other computer.
    > 2.
    > I checked the cable(it works, as I use for another use daily), the NIC
    > cards (Realtek) have the light lit at the back = ok
    > 3.
    > I check the Microsoft Windows Netw = it's sending but not receiving
    > 4.We use the TCP/IP protocol, we don't use a hub.
    >
    > As I am the office, I can only give you a brief troubleshooting, so If
    > you can help me, drop a post in either English, French or Dutch, a
    > link it would be very helpfull as I would like to start playing after
    > two late night trying to figure this problem.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Niaxous

    The cable: what are you using it for otherwise? To connect to a hub or
    router?

    You need to make sure it's a crossover cable.

    When you send on one PC, does the other receive something (the network
    connection icon: doubleclick and check the counters on both).

    IP addresses and network configuration:

    make sure you have different IP addresses, in the same network,
    e.g. 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3, not 192.168.10.10. and
    102.168.20.20.

    make sure you have the same netmask.
    You cannot have dhcp dynamic address assignment set (there's no server
    for that in your config).

    use ipconfig/all to check all settings

    use net use to see the other computer

    use 'ping' to see if you have basic connectivity, independent of your
    workgroup working or not.

    do not declare the workgroup a 'domain' on the w2k computer, it needs
    to be 'workgroup'.

    On w98: configure it to never be the master browser
    on w2k: configure it to always be the master browser
    That's because w98 is somewhat brain damaged in smb/nmb/netbios.

    this should bring you some steps closer to success.

    Mike

    -------
    providing computer help at http://helpdesk.pro-html.org

  3. Re: Connect to pc's together : one with win98 & one with win2000 - networkgaming

    spam-me@qwickconnect.net (Michael Nittmann) wrote in message news:...
    > niaxous@hotmail.com (niaxous) wrote in message news:<24a30e32.0310280310.2ebe45d7@posting.google.com>...
    > > hi,
    > >
    > > I would like to have the right settings (an easy walkthrough
    > > procedure)to link two pc's together for networkgaming.
    > > I played last week-end with other computers on a mini-lan party but
    > > one of us had a bit more knowledge on the matter which I lack
    > > unfortunately.
    > >
    > > Firstly, I desactivate my firewal (Norton)
    > > 1.
    > > I created new work groups(CHELLO) and named it (win2000)PC3 & PC4
    > > (98)and when I click on the network, I can only see my pc(win2000)
    > > "PC3" and the same (pc4)on the other computer.
    > > 2.
    > > I checked the cable(it works, as I use for another use daily), the NIC
    > > cards (Realtek) have the light lit at the back = ok
    > > 3.
    > > I check the Microsoft Windows Netw = it's sending but not receiving
    > > 4.We use the TCP/IP protocol, we don't use a hub.
    > >
    > > As I am the office, I can only give you a brief troubleshooting, so If
    > > you can help me, drop a post in either English, French or Dutch, a
    > > link it would be very helpfull as I would like to start playing after
    > > two late night trying to figure this problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks again,
    > >
    > > Niaxous

    > The cable: what are you using it for otherwise? To connect to a hub or
    > router?
    >
    > You need to make sure it's a crossover cable.
    >

    > When you send on one PC, does the other receive something (the network
    > connection icon: doubleclick and check the counters on both).
    >
    > IP addresses and network configuration:
    >
    > make sure you have different IP addresses, in the same network,
    > e.g. 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3, not 192.168.10.10. and
    > 102.168.20.20.
    >
    > make sure you have the same netmask.
    > You cannot have dhcp dynamic address assignment set (there's no server
    > for that in your config).
    >
    > use ipconfig/all to check all settings
    >
    > use net use to see the other computer
    >
    > use 'ping' to see if you have basic connectivity, independent of your
    > workgroup working or not.
    >
    > do not declare the workgroup a 'domain' on the w2k computer, it needs
    > to be 'workgroup'.
    >
    > On w98: configure it to never be the master browser
    > on w2k: configure it to always be the master browser
    > That's because w98 is somewhat brain damaged in smb/nmb/netbios.
    >

    > this should bring you some steps closer to success.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > -------
    > providing computer help at http://helpdesk.pro-html.org

    Thanks Mike for your post.
    The cable I use is for my Internet cable modem, it looks like the
    right cable "it is written Cat-5" on it. I thought as it connects to
    the right port that this seemed to be the right one, hhhmmm no I gues
    not then.
    The IP addresses and network configuration are wrong the 98 is
    111.111.111.111 and other 169 or someting, I need to change that to
    begin.

    I will start this evening again and buy a new bl**dy cable.

    Thanks again for sorting this out a bit, It's amazing the time you
    spent on such stupid settings which can make a difference.

    Niaxous

  4. Re: Connect to pc's together : one with win98 & one with win2000 - networkgaming

    hi folks,
    i know where is the problem, some time win 98 give this problem, so
    you must install NETBEUI for proper communicate and i hope you can do
    this i don't know why this is some time you can ping each other and
    some time you can access each other by typing ip address rether then
    name but when you d click on network nabour then you can not see each
    others its problem of ms so i only found this solution and i hope its
    work on your side if its not just mail me on my address,
    wasim21k@hotmail.com
    regard
    waseem javid

+ Reply to Thread