LAN config help - Network

This is a discussion on LAN config help - Network ; I'm aiming at the following setup: http://w1.181.telia.com/~u18109142/routing.jpg My question is, will this setup work? Can I get traffic aimed for "server 3" and "server 4" routed through "router 2"? I don't have access to configure "router 1". Thanks!...

  1. LAN config help

    I'm aiming at the following setup:

    http://w1.181.telia.com/~u18109142/routing.jpg

    My question is, will this setup work? Can I get traffic aimed for "server 3"
    and "server 4" routed through "router 2"? I don't have access to configure
    "router 1".

    Thanks!

  2. Re: LAN config help

    "Mark Becker" wrote in message news:...
    > I'm aiming at the following setup:
    >
    > http://w1.181.telia.com/~u18109142/routing.jpg
    >
    > My question is, will this setup work? Can I get traffic aimed for "server 3"
    > and "server 4" routed through "router 2"? I don't have access to configure
    > "router 1".
    >
    > Thanks!

    No.

    Reason:

    network 192.168.0 is a locally attached network on router 1
    router 1 will not route that same network for nothing over any other
    interface
    than the attached one.

    network 192.168.0 is a locally attached network on router 2
    router 2 will not route that same netwrok for nothing over any other
    interface
    than the attached one

    The nature of the WAN link is in there for nothing (could be ptp
    without IP addresses, or with)

    router 1 needs to know a route to the network behind router 2

    Workaround:

    use a different 192.168. network behind router1, for your server3 and
    server4.

    just hope that router1 knows ahout the network behind router2.

    If the 192.168.0 network behind router1 is already configured, and you
    cannot change router1:

    change the network behind router2.
    verify in the router2 configuration that some routing protocol is
    configured.

    If you don't know which routing protocol is configured in router1, to
    know ahout the 192.168.x network behind router2:
    switch them all on and configure all to announce your 192.168.x
    network.
    one might work. Don't forget RIP too, although it's basically
    unprofessional to use it, some just forget about it and it might
    'still' be on in router1, from long ago when that router was put into
    place (like >5years ago would be a
    good candidate to still run rip).

    Good idea to provide that diagram!

    Mike

    ------
    providing network help at http://helpdesk.pro-html.org

  3. Re: LAN config help

    Thanks for your thorough reply. I'm digesting the information

+ Reply to Thread