WINS server sends gratuitous arp requests. - Network

This is a discussion on WINS server sends gratuitous arp requests. - Network ; I have a WINS server (which is also a BDC) which is sending arp broadcasts scrolling through the complete IP address range (eg. 123.2.255.255 to 123.2.0.0) and back again. This seems to be happening about every 4 hours or so ...

  1. WINS server sends gratuitous arp requests.

    I have a WINS server (which is also a BDC) which is sending arp
    broadcasts scrolling through the complete IP address range (eg.
    123.2.255.255 to 123.2.0.0) and back again. This seems to be happening
    about every 4 hours or so during the day - firstly in the morning when
    users are logging on, then about lunch time and again about going home
    time. There does not seem to be a problem throughout the night.
    The decision was taken to remove WINS from the server. This however
    did not stop the problem.

    Any advice as to how this might be occuring or a possible cure would
    be very welcome.

    Thanks,
    Derek.

  2. Re: WINS server sends gratuitous arp requests.

    derek.smith4@ntlworld.com (Derek) wrote in message news:<8b822fd7.0310271103.2e513b4a@posting.google.com>...
    > I have a WINS server (which is also a BDC) which is sending arp
    > broadcasts scrolling through the complete IP address range (eg.
    > 123.2.255.255 to 123.2.0.0) and back again. This seems to be happening
    > about every 4 hours or so during the day - firstly in the morning when
    > users are logging on, then about lunch time and again about going home
    > time. There does not seem to be a problem throughout the night.
    > The decision was taken to remove WINS from the server. This however
    > did not stop the problem.
    >
    > Any advice as to how this might be occuring or a possible cure would
    > be very welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Derek.

    Well, it's probably that someone is pinging the entire network from a
    script during day time (when at the desk).
    Check your scripts!
    Check your remote control sessions on the server (any: remote
    consoles, telnet, rxxx sessions, pcanywhere, vnc.... you should
    exercise best practices and have none of these configured nor any such
    services enabled, on a server).

    Since it's during day time only, it is either something you run during
    the daytime without being aware it does that, or someone connects to
    the server and runs a script, or pings 132.2. - 0.0 through 254.254 .
    A broadcast ping would not result in an arp for each address.

    This can also be some network management tool, that is probing the
    entire network, including maybe some obscure security software that is
    checking the IP/ARP map during the day.

    To my humble knowledge it's not a typical WINs/W2K issue.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread