PPPoe with two LAN segments - Network

This is a discussion on PPPoe with two LAN segments - Network ; Hi All, I have a win2000 PC with a two LAN cards acting as a server. The cards are configured in two separate IP ranges. I need to get PPPoE to work over both segments to the ADSL router connected ...

  1. PPPoe with two LAN segments

    Hi All,

    I have a win2000 PC with a two LAN cards acting as a server. The
    cards are configured in two separate IP ranges. I need to get PPPoE
    to work over both segments to the ADSL router connected on one
    segment.

    The one card is on a segment that includes an ADSL router on a hub. I
    have no problems setting up PPPoE on PC's on this LAN segment to
    connect to the Internet.

    However the second segment does not succeed in connecting / sensing
    the ADSL router.

    Is there a way past this problem; some sort of bridging, or other
    technique?

    I need to use PPPoE at the client terminals as they use different
    accounts and therefore cannot make use of Internet Sharing on this
    server in the conventional way.

  2. Re: PPPoe with two LAN segments

    cramitfull@hotmail.com (JIMLAP) wrote in message news:<823c7f2c.0310270410.b289124@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a win2000 PC with a two LAN cards acting as a server. The
    > cards are configured in two separate IP ranges. I need to get PPPoE
    > to work over both segments to the ADSL router connected on one
    > segment.
    >
    > The one card is on a segment that includes an ADSL router on a hub. I
    > have no problems setting up PPPoE on PC's on this LAN segment to
    > connect to the Internet.
    >
    > However the second segment does not succeed in connecting / sensing
    > the ADSL router.
    >
    > Is there a way past this problem; some sort of bridging, or other
    > technique?
    >
    > I need to use PPPoE at the client terminals as they use different
    > accounts and therefore cannot make use of Internet Sharing on this
    > server in the conventional way.

    So how is the second Ethernet connected?
    Are you using your server as a router, or as a router on a stick?
    That would need a diagram.

    Some known issues with W2K servers and multiple interfaces:

    SBS: does not work correctly, your symptoms would just fall into sbs.
    The SBS issues go so far as to even disabled network cards would spill
    traffic.

    Advanced/'vanilla': would not respect the networks, sense itself, and
    'consolidate' traffic. Even shutting off nmb/smb will not help, but
    nmb/smb on for sure messes multiple interface stuff up, since the
    'knowledge' of the smb/nmb stack is shared with the ip stack. (well,
    it's only one...., direct result of the 'Microsoft 4 layer Network
    architecture').

    Network sharing goes only with one interface. You cannot build a
    redundant architecture, sharing two Internet connections. That's not
    in the scope of the product (so, not a failure actually, just not even
    remotely intended to work).

    Send me some diagrams. This one will be for free.

    Mike

    -------

    providing networking help at http://helpdesk.pro-html.org

  3. Re: PPPoe with two LAN segments

    > Send me some diagrams. This one will be for free.
    >

    > Mike

    Hi Mike,

    One segment with the ADSL Router is wired (UTP) through a HUB.

    The other segment is an 802.11b leg with one radio card (D-Link 520+)
    in the server. The configuration on the WiFi is infrastructure and
    the Access Point is on a mast without an option of a physical LAN
    segment to it (distance too great).

    Note that I've already suceeded in getting PPPoE to work when a test
    AP is plugged into the LAN segment.

    Diagram : Y
    ======= ============
    Telco | ADSL | ====== |ACCESS POINT|
    --------|ROUTER | | | ============
    ======= |PCI |
    --------- | --------------|LAN |
    LAN | | | | | Y
    ======== |SERVER| Y ================
    | HUB | | | | | PCI |
    ======== | PCI | | | CLIENT Radio|
    | Radio|---- | PC |
    ====== ================

    Note that "Y" represents Antennae (thought it should be obvious
    enough).

    I've drawn no lines between CLIENT PC, AP and SERVER but radio linked.

    It's the CLIENT PC that is having difficulties with PPPoE.

    It seems to me that PPPoE has not been defined to work accress the two
    segments; but I'm hoping that some unconventional method exists.

    Cheers

    Jimmy

  4. Re: PPPoe with two LAN segments

    cramitfull@hotmail.com (JIMLAP) wrote in message news:<823c7f2c.0310300402.7ecc56af@posting.google.com>...

    > > Send me some diagrams. This one will be for free.
    > >

    > > Mike
    > >

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > One segment with the ADSL Router is wired (UTP) through a HUB.
    >
    > The other segment is an 802.11b leg with one radio card (D-Link 520+)
    > in the server. The configuration on the WiFi is infrastructure and
    > the Access Point is on a mast without an option of a physical LAN
    > segment to it (distance too great).
    >
    > Note that I've already suceeded in getting PPPoE to work when a test
    > AP is plugged into the LAN segment.
    >
    > Diagram : Y
    > ======= ============
    > Telco | ADSL | ====== |ACCESS POINT|
    > --------|ROUTER | | | ============
    > ======= |PCI |
    > --------- | --------------|LAN | LAN2
    > LAN | | | IP1 | | Y IP3
    > ======== |SERVER| Y ================
    > | HUB | LAN1 | | | | PCI |
    > ======== | PCI | | | CLIENT Radio|
    > | Radio|---- | PC |
    > ====== ================
    > IP2
    > Note that "Y" represents Antennae (thought it should be obvious
    > enough).
    >
    > I've drawn no lines between CLIENT PC, AP and SERVER but radio linked.
    >
    > It's the CLIENT PC that is having difficulties with PPPoE.
    >
    > It seems to me that PPPoE has not been defined to work accress the two
    > segments; but I'm hoping that some unconventional method exists.
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Jimmy

    Hey,

    you don't need pppoe on the client PC.

    I have added some IP addresses to your diagram:

    IP1 is the interface address on your server, towards the dsl router.
    You can check that one with ipconfig/all .
    'Left' of the server I called it 'Lan 1'.
    It is some LAN, class x.
    You did not provide addresses, so let's assume, LAN 1 is
    192.168.0.0/24.
    It is not important at all.

    While 'not connected', there is no difference between a radio link and
    a cable, speaking of network topologies.

    You give your radio link interface in your server an IP address.
    That one needs to be in a different network.

    Any will work, as long as it is not a network on the 'other' side of
    the server.
    A private network, not routed on the Internet, is fine.
    Let's chose
    192.168.255.0/24 .

    you would then:

    give the radio link interface in the server the address

    192.168.255.1 (you could use 192.168.255.0, but I don't want to
    confuse you, nor wake W2K sleeping dragons....).

    if it is not an address free link (this exists too, then both sides
    seem to 'have' the same IP address, the one of the server; I doubt
    that you have that):

    give the client PC the address

    192.168.255.2 (or whatever you like, as long as it starts out the same
    as your LAN1, in this example with 192.168.255, the network we have
    cbosen arbitrarly, and does not end with a 1 (the address we chose for
    the server side), nor with 255 (that's the network broadcast). Oh,
    before you try: smaller or equal 254!).

    On the client PC:

    you set up your network properties:

    chose 'fixed IP' (so _not_ dynamically assigned)
    chose 255.255.255.0 as the netmask

    !!! chose 192.168.255.1 as the default gateway

    !!! chose the name server of your (always on) dsl provider as the
    name server.

    !!! chose the server address for the WINS server

    !!! make sure the workgroup names are the same (or join the domain,
    whatever you have).

    This works.
    The 'client PC' does not interact with the DSL router. It becomes your
    LAN router, one side ppoe towards the dsl router, the other side your
    fancy radio network.

    Throw the hub out, replace it with a crossover cable! Get a radio
    access point with an ethernet port (btw your radio card in the client
    might have that already, to connect an other computer to the same
    radio network), connect the hub there, and connect as many other pcs
    to the hub as you wish.

    Variations:

    you can set up dhcp on your server for the radio link and let the
    server provide everything for the client pc (then 'server assigned IP
    address'; this sets everything, including the name server).

    you can set up forwarding DNS on your server, and if you do not set up
    dhcp, then your server is the name server for your client PC.

    W2K comes with all that, and it's really just gui jockeying to set it
    up. No knowledge required whatsoever! Anybody and his dog can do it!
    (now you know what an mcse cert consists of...wind! ;-} ).

    So, hey, no pppoe needed at all. Make sure, IP forwarding is not off
    on your server (is on by default).

    happy plugging....

    Mike,

    ....one of those who provide computer help at
    http://helpdesk.pro-html.org .

  5. Re: PPPoe with two LAN segments

    > Hey,
    >
    > you don't need pppoe on the client PC.

    Hey Mike,

    Thanks for the detailed input, pls note that I've had the system
    working via a proxy mechanism (NAT was also an option but Wingate
    gives me great control), at the 2000 box for some time now. I've been
    using a tidy program called Wingate, which makes it easy to do all the
    standard routing and monitor/manage usage etc.

    The reason for the PPPoE, is so that I can provide some of the users
    (especially the heavy users), their own PPPoE account and not need to
    manage them (they can pay separately for their own usage).

    Both sides of the diagram (network segments) have a number of PC's;
    About 10 on the Wired side (hence the hub - actually two of them
    staggered), and 15 on the wireless.

    On the wired side I can set up clients with no problem whatsoever...
    on the Radio end - need to transparently bridge over to the wired side
    somehow to get to the ADSL router.

    Cheers

    Jimmy

+ Reply to Thread