Using other cpus on the net! - Network

This is a discussion on Using other cpus on the net! - Network ; Hej everybody, Is it possibble for your PCs to use each others CPUs on a windows 2000 network? If yes, how do you do that? I have 2 PCs connected to each other. It would be great if they can ...

  1. Using other cpus on the net!

    Hej everybody,

    Is it possibble for your PCs to use each others CPUs on a windows 2000
    network?
    If yes, how do you do that? I have 2 PCs connected to each other. It
    would be great if they can share CPU power too, so you can run an
    application on one PC and use others PC's CPU.

    Regarads
    Kayvan

  2. Re: Using other cpus on the net!

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Hej everybody,
    >
    > Is it possibble for your PCs to use each others CPUs on a windows 2000
    > network?
    > If yes, how do you do that? I have 2 PCs connected to each other. It
    > would be great if they can share CPU power too, so you can run an
    > application on one PC and use others PC's CPU.
    >
    > Regarads
    > Kayvan

    This is impossible.

  3. Re: Using other cpus on the net!

    > This is impossible.
    How do you think that SETI thing works? If you write the software, and
    others are prepared to install it, then you can do whatever you want.
    Some of the most powerful computers in the world are clusters of PC's
    working together. The trick is breaking the tasks up so that they can
    be shared. This lends itself to some things more than others.

  4. Re: Using other cpus on the net!

    Renegade wrote in message news:...
    > Sebastian wrote:
    > > Hej everybody,
    > >
    > > Is it possibble for your PCs to use each others CPUs on a windows 2000
    > > network?
    > > If yes, how do you do that? I have 2 PCs connected to each other. It
    > > would be great if they can share CPU power too, so you can run an
    > > application on one PC and use others PC's CPU.
    > >
    > > Regarads
    > > Kayvan

    > This is impossible.

    Hi renaxgade,
    It is possibble on UNIX systems or probably other systems too. But I
    wanted to see if anybody has the same problem. The solution obviously
    has many applications both at home and at work.

    Regards

  5. Re: Using other cpus on the net!

    ppegah@yahoo.com (Sebastian) wrote in message news:<3e6b599c.0310272300.53713c72@posting.google.com>...
    > Renegade wrote in message news:...
    > > Sebastian wrote:
    > > > Hej everybody,
    > > >
    > > > Is it possibble for your PCs to use each others CPUs on a windows 2000
    > > > network?
    > > > If yes, how do you do that? I have 2 PCs connected to each other. It
    > > > would be great if they can share CPU power too, so you can run an
    > > > application on one PC and use others PC's CPU.
    > > >
    > > > Regarads
    > > > Kayvan

    > > This is impossible.

    > Hi renaxgade,
    > It is possibble on UNIX systems or probably other systems too. But I
    > wanted to see if anybody has the same problem. The solution obviously
    > has many applications both at home and at work.
    >
    > Regards

    Well, when you say 'pc', you mean a w2k workstation configuration,
    right?

    Seti and other shared: they work by loading a special client
    application. It's not really 'shared' like in a computing cluster,
    where things are shoved around dynamically. Those applications fetch a
    chunk of very specialized work, chew it, and send the result back.
    It is distributed computing in the sense that the clients are
    distributed everywhere.

    You still can do the same thing, by just starting our numeric app on
    one WS and using the other.

    Check out realvnc.com.

    Is it more that you don't want to swich between them, not buy a kvm
    switch?
    Remote control the one where you want to do your number crunching,
    share all files between them,
    work on the other one directly.

    Well, if you would have W2K servers: Veritas cluster manager. Heavy
    $$.

    If you would have Linux: free cluster manager, shoving tasks around
    dynamically.

    Mike

    -------
    providing computer help at http://helpdesk.pro-html.org