Opening Access database across network - Network

This is a discussion on Opening Access database across network - Network ; I recently networked several XP computers at my home office. Two machines have Access 2000 installed. On machine A I have an access database. When I try to open it on Machine B it gives me an error message saying ...

  1. Opening Access database across network

    I recently networked several XP computers at my home office. Two machines
    have Access 2000 installed. On machine A I have an access database. When
    I try to open it on Machine B it gives me an error message saying "Cannot
    open the file. It is already opened exclusively by another user. . ." (It
    isn't).

    On further investigation I made a copy of it on Machine A and that opened
    - on Machine B. I then closed it, opened it on Machine A, closed it and

    when I went back to 'B' it again gives me the error message again.
    -ooting 'A' doesn't fix the problem. I've never set any permissions, or

    any passwords on either machine.

    Anyone tell me what I'm missing?

    Thanks,
    Larry

  2. Re: Opening Access database across network

    lands@somewhereinhawaii.net (Larry L) wrote in message news:...
    > I recently networked several XP computers at my home office. Two machines
    > have Access 2000 installed. On machine A I have an access database. When
    > I try to open it on Machine B it gives me an error message saying "Cannot
    > open the file. It is already opened exclusively by another user. . ." (It
    > isn't).
    >
    > On further investigation I made a copy of it on Machine A and that opened
    > ?- on Machine B. I then closed it, opened it on Machine A, closed it and
    >
    > when I went back to 'B' it again gives me the error message again.
    > - ooting 'A' doesn't fix the problem. I've never set any permissions, or
    >
    > any passwords on either machine.
    >
    > Anyone tell me what I'm missing?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Larry

    Have you set the option to allow the database to be shared on the
    network from MS Access? I can't remember where to go to access that
    setting but it is there.

  3. Re: Opening Access database across network

    In article <6d8feffb.0310300423.1449a56f@posting.google.com>, amy_williams17@yahoo.com (Amy) wrote:
    >lands@somewhereinhawaii.net (Larry L) wrote in message
    >> I recently networked several XP computers at my home office. Two machines
    >> have Access 2000 installed. On machine A I have an access database. When
    >> I try to open it on Machine B it gives me an error message saying "Cannot
    >> open the file. It is already opened exclusively by another user. . ." (It
    >> isn't).
    >>
    >> On further investigation I made a copy of it on Machine A and that opened
    >> ?- on Machine B. I then closed it, opened it on Machine A, closed it and
    >>
    >> when I went back to 'B' it again gives me the error message again.
    >> - ooting 'A' doesn't fix the problem. I've never set any permissions, or
    >>
    >> any passwords on either machine.
    >>
    >> Anyone tell me what I'm missing?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Larry

    >Have you set the option to allow the database to be shared on the
    >network from MS Access? I can't remember where to go to access that
    >setting but it is there.

    Yes, I have checked all the settings in Access, and in the network itself.
    Yet still when I try to open it from another computer on the network it
    says that it "cannot open the file. It is already opened exclusively by
    another user, or you need permission to view its data". This while the
    database is NOT open at all by anyone.

    I'm lost here. To me it makes no sense, as I can read, for example, Word
    files in the same directory on the same machine across the same net.

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Larry L

+ Reply to Thread