packet loss because of big packets - Network

This is a discussion on packet loss because of big packets - Network ; Hello, The following problem occurs in my network: The command 'ping anyhost' works well without packet loss. Ping sends packets with a size of about 65 Bytes. If I grow the packet size with the parameter -s, I have got ...

  1. packet loss because of big packets

    Hello,

    The following problem occurs in my network:
    The command 'ping anyhost' works well without packet loss. Ping sends
    packets with a size of about 65 Bytes. If I grow the packet size with
    the parameter -s, I have got packet loss. The command 'ping -s 65507
    host' works well for some hosts, for others not (100 % loss).
    Does this indicate bad network components? What does this mean for
    other protocols like UDP or TCP?

    Thank You for Your help!

    Andreas

  2. Re: packet loss because of big packets

    This might be due to certain hosts not supporting ICMP Echo reply with
    larger packet sizes.

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Protocol Sequence Diagrams in PDF

  3. Re: packet loss because of big packets

    andreas.egner@gmx.de (Andreas Egner) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > The following problem occurs in my network:
    > The command 'ping anyhost' works well without packet loss. Ping sends
    > packets with a size of about 65 Bytes. If I grow the packet size with
    > the parameter -s, I have got packet loss. The command 'ping -s 65507
    > host' works well for some hosts, for others not (100 % loss).
    > Does this indicate bad network components? What does this mean for
    > other protocols like UDP or TCP?
    >
    > Thank You for Your help!
    >
    > Andreas

    you can change the MTU or Maximum Transmission Units or whatever they
    are called. check this link