Setting up small apartment network. - Network

This is a discussion on Setting up small apartment network. - Network ; I am trying to setup a file server in my apartment. I want to use it as storage for music, videos, important stuff like resumes and just files in general. I am not even opposed to the idea, depending on ...

  1. Setting up small apartment network.

    I am trying to setup a file server in my apartment. I want to use it
    as storage for music, videos, important stuff like resumes and just
    files in general.

    I am not even opposed to the idea, depending on the cost, of setting
    up a service network so that we can log on and just start up outlook
    but only have it installed on the server. If you reply to this then
    you know what i mean.

    The computers we have are 1 XP Pro, and 2 XP Home. We have a
    broadband connection and a good gateway/router. I do not want to use
    it as web server or a game server.

    What setup would you recommend as far as OS and system components for
    both the plain file server and also for a service server? I will be
    building it from scratch.

    Thank you in advance,
    Chris

  2. Re: Setting up small apartment network.

    cneu@neuagency.com (Tank) wrote in message news:<64670f11.0310191730.42a8bec4@posting.google.com>...
    > I am trying to setup a file server in my apartment. I want to use it
    > as storage for music, videos, important stuff like resumes and just
    > files in general.
    >
    > I am not even opposed to the idea, depending on the cost, of setting
    > up a service network so that we can log on and just start up outlook
    > but only have it installed on the server. If you reply to this then
    > you know what i mean.
    >
    > The computers we have are 1 XP Pro, and 2 XP Home. We have a
    > broadband connection and a good gateway/router. I do not want to use
    > it as web server or a game server.
    >
    > What setup would you recommend as far as OS and system components for
    > both the plain file server and also for a service server? I will be
    > building it from scratch.
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    > Chris

    Ok, I think I know where you are going with this. I can see one
    limitation, which is Windows XP Home. There are SOME limitations to
    is networking capability. The only limitation I can really recall is
    that it is not allowed to join a domain, workgroup only.

    In this situation, I've done the same thing at my apartment for me and
    my wife, I have four PCs: 1 running Windows Server 2003 (all this
    machine does is act as a secondary download store and antivirus
    server), Windows XP Professional on my wife's computer, Windows XP
    Professional on my laptop, and a Mandrake Linux 9.1 box that acts as
    my file server and music server.

    I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are in Windows 2000 Server or if
    you even have a copy of it. I went with Linux for more file server
    because it was somewhat easier to setup file sharing on it and
    connecting with different forms of operating systems.

    The security on the Linux box is quite flexible. I have it setup to
    allow anyone connected to my internal lan, can access any shares on
    the linux server.

    If you need anymore insight, please let me know.

    Thanks,

    Matt

  3. Re: Setting up small apartment network.

    mhayes@harman.com (Matt Hayes) wrote in message news:<70f494d3.0310200944.717ca911@posting.google.com>...
    > Ok, I think I know where you are going with this. I can see one
    > limitation, which is Windows XP Home. There are SOME limitations to
    > is networking capability. The only limitation I can really recall is
    > that it is not allowed to join a domain, workgroup only.
    >
    > In this situation, I've done the same thing at my apartment for me and
    > my wife, I have four PCs: 1 running Windows Server 2003 (all this
    > machine does is act as a secondary download store and antivirus
    > server), Windows XP Professional on my wife's computer, Windows XP
    > Professional on my laptop, and a Mandrake Linux 9.1 box that acts as
    > my file server and music server.
    >
    > I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are in Windows 2000 Server or if
    > you even have a copy of it. I went with Linux for more file server
    > because it was somewhat easier to setup file sharing on it and
    > connecting with different forms of operating systems.
    >
    > The security on the Linux box is quite flexible. I have it setup to
    > allow anyone connected to my internal lan, can access any shares on
    > the linux server.
    >
    > If you need anymore insight, please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Matt

    That is the almost exact thing i want to do with the apartment with
    the exception of the linux box. I am not very familiar with linux. I
    have a copy of w2k server available to me at a major discount price.
    Any recommendations on system specs.

  4. Re: Setting up small apartment network.

    i think you have lots of money to put in bin but sorry i don't have
    any idea to **** my money if i m on ur place then i should try to find
    on net i mean to say pirated copy to do this as i have lots of cds you
    can too try on mirc in different channel there is lots of things free.
    regard
    Waseem

  5. Re: Setting up small apartment network.

    cneu@neuagency.com (Tank) wrote in message news:<64670f11.0310201349.bc5876f@posting.google.com>...
    > mhayes@harman.com (Matt Hayes) wrote in message news:<70f494d3.0310200944.717ca911@posting.google.com>...
    > > Ok, I think I know where you are going with this. I can see one
    > > limitation, which is Windows XP Home. There are SOME limitations to
    > > is networking capability. The only limitation I can really recall is
    > > that it is not allowed to join a domain, workgroup only.
    > >
    > > In this situation, I've done the same thing at my apartment for me and
    > > my wife, I have four PCs: 1 running Windows Server 2003 (all this
    > > machine does is act as a secondary download store and antivirus
    > > server), Windows XP Professional on my wife's computer, Windows XP
    > > Professional on my laptop, and a Mandrake Linux 9.1 box that acts as
    > > my file server and music server.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are in Windows 2000 Server or if
    > > you even have a copy of it. I went with Linux for more file server
    > > because it was somewhat easier to setup file sharing on it and
    > > connecting with different forms of operating systems.
    > >
    > > The security on the Linux box is quite flexible. I have it setup to
    > > allow anyone connected to my internal lan, can access any shares on
    > > the linux server.
    > >
    > > If you need anymore insight, please let me know.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Matt

    > That is the almost exact thing i want to do with the apartment with
    > the exception of the linux box. I am not very familiar with linux. I
    > have a copy of w2k server available to me at a major discount price.
    > Any recommendations on system specs.

    Don't be afraid of Linux, I to thought this and I still do not have a
    good working knowledge of Linux but I am about to set up a web server
    running Red Hat into a Windows network environment for a college
    project so I if you're willing to let go of a Windows OS and try
    something new, go with Linux. Either Mandrake or Red Hat are good
    (probably Red Hat for server services) and just do a little reading
    and you'll be quite surprised how easy it is to set it up. Not only
    this, but it is *somewhat* familiar to the Windows desktop and you can
    configure most things at a basic level from the GUI. You'll gain
    valueable knowledge and expose yourself to a new and interesting
    platform.

+ Reply to Thread