Router suggestions? - Network

This is a discussion on Router suggestions? - Network ; Hi, I'm doing a project on creating an ISP network infrastructure. It's the first time I've really had to get into learning about routers (really all I know is what they are and the importance to a network) and I ...

  1. Router suggestions?

    Hi,

    I'm doing a project on creating an ISP network infrastructure. It's
    the first time I've really had to get into learning about routers
    (really all I know is what they are and the importance to a network)
    and I need to include in my report, the type of things I would need to
    look for in a router when purchasing one (so not specific brands like
    Cisco at this stage). A quick overview of my network is five servers
    (two Windows - Server2000, one Linux - Red Hat 8.0 and two
    BDC/replication servers that will run Windows Server 2000). I'll be
    running things like RADIUS, DHCP, DNS, and the Linux box is for the
    web server. I'll have an ISDN line for incoming connections from
    customers and also one for outgoing (uplink) data, then I'll have a
    satellite connection which will serve for the downlink (customer
    downloads).

    Could anyone give me any idea on what I should be looking for as far
    as a router and what protocols they use? I would appreciate any
    suggestions and help. Thanks in advanced.

  2. Re: Router suggestions?

    Try CISCO's website for more information and router than suits your
    needs.

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Protocol Sequence Diagrams in PDF

  3. Re: Router suggestions?

    amy_williams17@yahoo.com (Amy) wrote in message news:<6d8feffb.0310120705.277756ea@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm doing a project on creating an ISP network infrastructure. It's
    > the first time I've really had to get into learning about routers
    > (really all I know is what they are and the importance to a network)
    > and I need to include in my report, the type of things I would need to
    > look for in a router when purchasing one (so not specific brands like
    > Cisco at this stage). A quick overview of my network is five servers
    > (two Windows - Server2000, one Linux - Red Hat 8.0 and two
    > BDC/replication servers that will run Windows Server 2000). I'll be
    > running things like RADIUS, DHCP, DNS, and the Linux box is for the
    > web server. I'll have an ISDN line for incoming connections from
    > customers and also one for outgoing (uplink) data, then I'll have a
    > satellite connection which will serve for the downlink (customer
    > downloads).
    >
    > Could anyone give me any idea on what I should be looking for as far
    > as a router and what protocols they use? I would appreciate any
    > suggestions and help. Thanks in advanced.

    Throuhput my friend. Pure , clean wirespeed and processor power.
    Faster and Bigger are better, One ISDN line will CHOKE Bandwith. GEt a
    t-1, or maybe two. If you're close to TELco switch SDSL WIll approach
    T-1 speeds. Stick with ENTERPRISE level equipment. Cisco's 7000 series
    switch fabric is rock solid. And Freaky Quick! HP's Procurves aint bad
    either, but they're nowhere near as monstrous as Cisco.

    FAilover redundancies are a good idea for ISPs too. Keep that ISDN but
    ONLY activate it when a T1 goes dark. Duplicate routers and have more
    than one path to your place. Best practice is to OVER BUILD IT. And
    build it so it makes the hair on the back of your neck bristle. OH
    yEAH!!

    JB

    CCNA, Net+, CNA

+ Reply to Thread